• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Heavy valve caps on a Conn 22B

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Qnaza
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:36 am    Post subject: Heavy valve caps on a Conn 22B Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone out there has experimented with using heavy valve-caps on a Conn 22B New york Symphony trumpet?

I have been, by adding coins into the bottom of the casings in various combinations.

I'm not opening any 'heavy vs normal' cans of worms here,I'm asking because the older trumpets have a certain distinctive sound, and whilst I have my own opinions on the good or bad of my experiments with putting the coins into my 22B in various combinations, I'm curious if others have tried this.

Cheers

Dave
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO what has your experiencing been and what combo has worked best for yours? Cheers back at ya!!
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My own experience has been that if the cap is heavy "enough," the difference is very clear and repeatable. That would be like the weight of some 20 pennies though. Definitely more stable and focused; "thicker" sound, especially upstairs.

I also spent a good bit of time machining down dimes to fit my ol' Bach - put the hole in the middle and everything. I had just had the valves lapped and aligned with new felts, and the 20+ year old horn was playing better than new. Somehow one of those dimes got picked up on an upstroke and ... let's just say I'm no longer a fan of that idea. I'd strongly encourage you to try actual valve caps instead.

Harrelson says more than his 1/2", the law of diminishing returns kicks in.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the late 1920's 22-B's I had came with a Mercury dime in the 3rd valve cap. I tried substituting a modern dime, and I kid you not, it did not slot as well as it did with the Mercury dime. Solid silver vs. alloy actually make a difference. I did a rather unscientific test, and had my son either place the old dime, new dime, or no dime in the cap, then hand me the trumpet to test. In every case, I could hear and feel a difference. In every case, once I played a few bars I could tell which was which.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Qnaza
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks for all the responses all very helpful.

I'm curious, Razeontherock, what exactly does the 1/2 inch that Harrelson spoke of refer to? Solid brass valve caps?

OK, so here's my 2 cents, or rather pence, since I come from across the pond: I find that a 5p coin, whilst too large for a Bach, is literally perfect for the casing of the Conn 22B, sits just inside the cap, like it was made for it, so I experimented and found the following:
1. it does make a difference having coins in, with various combinations having different results
2. I found a coin in only the 3rd valve seemed to dampen in a 'clumsy' way, but having coins in 1 and 3 were best. All 3 and I found it too dampened.
3. being a metalworking teacher in a secondary school, I made wooden moulds and cast some lead slugs the size of 5p coins, so have heavier by at least 3 times. This works best of all.

So thanks to all, I WISH my 22B came with its own period-piece dime!

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: