• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Marching Band

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Take it 8va
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Marching Band Reply with quote

So I think that there should be a forum dedicated to Marching band. We have one for jazz, commercial, orchestral, and everything else. So why not marching band? Maybe there's just not that much demand for it? But I think it would be a good idea. Maybe it's just too seasonal? Hmm..
Getzen 700s Eterna II
Getzen 895s

youtube :: facebook
fashizzical

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marching Band is too high school and too small of a performance market.
seruch
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fashizzical,
Sorry, but I must disagree with you, and would tip my hat to Take it.
First, I'd be willing to bet that there's a few HighSchoolers in our presence that would enjoy that; and "too limited of a performance market"??? - geez, the James Stamp forum is not exactly what I'd call a server strainer.

I'm guessing that there'd be a few of us that might be interested.
For instance, I would be - I volunteer staff with the local HS - both in visual, and with the Trumpets (or bones, or mellophones, or...)in sectionals, and I'd be interested.

s
Annie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree - marching band should be a topic. Not only is it done in High School, but also college...and just about every military band does some sort of marching. There are also some community ensembles that march.

*I may not be great yet, but I'm working hard on it and one day I'm gonna be there.*
BedfordTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an excellent idea. I've never played in a marching band, but I'd be interested in discussion of the topic. It doesn't fit well in the Orchestral/Chamber/Solo area, so it makes sense to break it out on its own.
Take it 8va
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also I know there's people interested in marching Drum Corps, and I know there's several members who have marched corps, and it could be a good place for any questions regarding that type of stuff.

And of course, the myriad High School students we have in our ranks, and instructors I'm sure too. I just think it would be a good idea.

But I can also see why not. I think the major thing is how seasonal it is. Although if you count Corps, then its year-round.

I was just wondering if there was a specific reason why there isn't one already.

I say we start a petition for a marching band forum!
Getzen 700s Eterna II
Getzen 895s

youtube :: facebook
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of folks in TH who played in Marching bands from middle school all the way through univerity/college. Some went on to play in the military and may still be involved.

Seems like there would be much to share here if "Marching Band" was a designated forum option.

I suspect responses would be most interesting and helpful. It probably would have participation from those who have Marching Band experience and those now participating in Marching Band.

Not only would there be stories of participating in Marching Band, but helps to be a better Marching Band musician.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
BedfordTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marching opportunities arise once in a while for "legit" players as well. I've been invited several times to do the "Clash Band", and annual tradition in PEI. They march through Charlottetown, wearing the most ridiculous mismatched clothing possible. I haven't made it yet, but when I do, I'll check here to learn about specific marching tips.

Also, in high school I took part in the finale of "The Music Man". We had to march down a theater aisle playing "76 Trombones".

We all succumb to march madness some time.

Paul
RDFrost52

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree w/ fashizzical.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Comments and Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: