• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Arturo's Trumpet Evolution

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2003 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got the new Cd today "Trumpet Evolution", where Arturo plays tribute to 19 trumpet players that shaped trumpet playing.

Included in these are King Oliver, Louis Armstrong, Bix Beiderbeck, Rafael Mendez, Miles Davis, Maurice Andre, Maynard Ferguson, Clifford Brown and more.

Absolutely terrific Cd. Arturo's ability to emulate the players he is honoring is uncanny.

Mike Ackerman
mustbflat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to get a copy of that CD. I heard him live the other night in Boston, and he was just awsome. I also got a chance to meet him between sets. He's a great guy and an unbelievable talent.
CTeneyck

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More on this thread in the lounge . . .

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=8887&forum=15&4
Ruechel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BOOOOOOOring.
MaynardProdigy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also have the CD and I love it!!

Its great to learn about the evolution of trumpet playing styles. I think it one of the most interesting trumpet cds that I own.

Good job Arturo!!

Silver/Gold Bach Stad 43
81' MF ST-302
51' Olds Super (LA)
631 Yamaha Flugel
***Working on***
Yamaha Xeno
Martin Committee
MaynardProdigy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this comment that I found on Amazon.com ratings about Trumpet Evolution:

1 of 6 people found the following review helpful:

ORIGINALITY?, October 9, 2003
Reviewer: smm2123 from Weston, CT United States
Arturo Sandoval is one of the finest trumpet players alive today. However, in terms of musicianship I feel he is on the extremely low end of the spectrum. Here, Sandoval pays tribute to his trumpeteer forefathers, and emulaates each musician well. I commend him for this.

Nonetheless, Sandoval's album lacks any wisp of originality. He quotes the masters verbatim and shows nothing inventive or innovational. It is evident, Sandoval is trying to prove his greatness, as if saying, "I can play everything the Greats did! I should be famous. Marvel at my skill!" I have heard many trumpet tributes to the masters from the likes of Latin trumpeter Ray Vega, Brian Lynch and Claudio Roditi, who performed tunes by their musical ancestors, but played and soloed in their own style. For example, Ray Vega's album Boperation are quintessential tunes by the Greats, but all performed in his signature Latin jazz idiom.

This album is a disgrace to the jazz tradition (the concentration of most of the album) as it is devoid of the forward motion and innovation that is jazz. Minimal redeemable qualities are evident. As the renditions quote the trumpet players note for note, why not listen to the original recording? His recreations of the tracks are second to none, certainly commendable in the classical trumpet world and proof of his virtuosity. However, as players like Miles Davis have taught us (ironically one of the players he pays tribute to), It is not the mastery of the intrument, but mastery of the idiom and spirit, individual voice, and expression. As far is evident, Sandoval has no voice of his own, only enslaved by those who came before him. Inspiration and influence is ideal, but mimicry is disgraceful.

I still love Arturo's work

Silver/Gold Bach Stad 43
81' MF ST-302
51' Olds Super (LA)
631 Yamaha Flugel
***Working on***
Yamaha Xeno
Martin Committee
Ruechel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maynardprodigy,

this CD is one of the most interesting CD'S you own??? come on, i don't believe you. what else do you listen to? what do you like so much about this one?

just curious,

nick
X3L
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 09, 2003 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey ruechel,

We get the picture, you don't care much for Arturo. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion...you, me, MaynardProdigy, etc. I'd bet that Arturo would love to invite you and every other person who has ever critiqued his playing down to Miami for a master class on how to finger F#.

John MacGregor
Waukesha, WI
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1-2-3?

[ This Message was edited by: jazz_trpt on 2003-11-10 12:46 ]
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not even going to start on how much I hate tribute albums, because I would be typing all day.WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU WANT TO LISTEN TO THIS WHEN YOU COULD LISTEN TO THE REAL THING!!!!!!!!!!!!! Someone explain this to me please!!!!!!!!!
dwm1129
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe F# it's just first valve Jeff not one, two and three.
fuzzyjon79
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought F# was second valve......?
ahtpt

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much criticism as Arturo has gotten for his unoriginality, I think he is probably THE most skilled trumpet player alive today. he simply does it all. No other player that I know of can play as well in as many styles as him. I'm not even a real fan of his, but i just listened to his album I Remember Clifford, and i have to say, this guy is incredible. He has a huge sound, mastery over every register imaginable on the horn, great technique, can play jazz, latin, classical (sort of), big band, etc. etc. So for those of you who are criticizing how lame his "jazz voice" is, i think you should back off and try and learn something from this man - i think he could teach all of us a lot more than we think.
Andrew
trumpeternick
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2003 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that. That truly is a great CD. "Manteca" and "La Virgin de la Macarena" are my favorite numbers. I've played it for people who had no idea it was just him playing on all the songs. I think he excels in every style. The classical piece seemed a little strange stuck in the mix there but it still sounded good!
AccentOnTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked Trumpet Evolution. In my opinion, it was one of the best CD's this year. While I was slightly disappointed that he played transcribed solos rather than his own, I hadn't heard some of them, and he added his own style to each one very brilliantly. The classical playing was very good, much better than his previous classical performances. The album was interesting, I didn't ever get bored listening to it, Arturo played great on almost every selection (the exception being "Maynard Ferguson" which he could've and should've done better with). The thing I liked best about this album was not only that Arturo gave all of these great, and often under-rated trumpeters their due by performing their pieces beautifully, but he got their names out to the mass public! What a gift to share that. The average listener most likely has no familiarity with the likes of Rafael Mendez, Bunny Berigan, King Oliver, Clark Terry, Timofey Dokshizer, Maurice Andre, Roy Eldridge, Harry James, etc, and Arturo shared his knowledge of these brilliant musicians by doing pieces by all of them and even doing them justice.

I would consider myself a fan of Arturo, I enjoy most of his records (although not all of them!) and as far as I'm concerned he can play jazz as well as anyone living today. He's the only person I've ever seen trade cadenzas with Jon Faddis and top him. Arturo might not be perfect, but he is definitely one of the best living players today, in my opinion.
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for me Arturo is an amazing trumpet player. He is sort of like watching a bull plow through a china shop, but exciting nevertheless. Maybe another analogy would be to equate him as ear candy. Taste great in short doses but at some point I’m going to want to dine on some real nourishing food.
Larry
Ruechel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,

i NEVER questioned the fact that Mr. Sandoval is a virtuoso trumpet player. I have the deepest respect for anyone who has committed this much time and effort into mastering his/her art. BUT...Music is not supposed to stand still. I would love to listen to something original from him, something that is more a slice of his own life. I heard his latin stuff is unreal. Have to check it out. I agree with previous posts that the originals are out there. Go buy them.
mikejarosz

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that 'Maynard Ferguson' is the most demanding lead trumpet feature ever written. I also understand that Arturo feels that he is paying tribute to famous trumpet players throught history by emulating them on his CD. In my opinion the 'Maynard Ferguson' track sounds nothing like Maynard. Most of the notes are there, but the style, vibrato, inflection and sound are not even close in my opinion. I think he should have left that one out and maybe pick another maynard tune more suitable for his skill level such as 'People'. In contrast, some of the other tracks like Clifford's 'Joy Spring' sounds really close in my opinion. What do you guys think?

Mike

http://www.mikejarosz.com
bkmdano
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2003 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally like to play F# with the second valve. I can also see why Mr. Sandoval might enjoy teaching and discussing the intricacies and distinction of using a particular style of fingering with some of the posters on this board. I would also imagine the 1 & 3 low D might be discussed. Thank you Mr MacGregor for your astute knowledge of this subject.

[ This Message was edited by: bkmdano on 2003-11-27 06:40 ]
MoeTheCat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-11-25 22:22, mikejarosz wrote:
. . . In my opinion the 'Maynard Ferguson' track sounds nothing like Maynard. Most of the notes are there, but the style, vibrato, inflection and sound are not even close in my opinion. . .

http://www.mikejarosz.com

I agree with you about Maynard Ferguson. I thought it was the weakest track on the album in terms of reproducing the original artist's style. I do enjoy the other tracks on the album. He certainly has a marvelous ability to change his sound and style. I suppose every gem has a flaw. When I first heard the track and he didn't quite get the opening run to DHC, I knew we were in for trouble.

I saw him at the Clifford Brown Jazz Festival in Wilmington, DE over the summer. For the first tune, the sound booth had his mike turned off for the first few notes. His sound was so big and powerful that when the mike was switched on, there was barely a difference.

[ This Message was edited by: MoeTheCat on 2003-12-02 23:48 ]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Performers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: