• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Great Companies

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VetPsychWars
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.N.A.Mendez wrote:
holeypants wrote:
Charlie Melk. I'm convinced he's some kinda robot from the future.

Leave Charlie alone....He's busy.....

NOT AGAIN!

Darn you, will you just stop so some of us locals can get stuff done too?!

No WONDER I have to wait 'til October to get my Aristocrat painted red!!

Tom
GR65M, GR65 Cor #1
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few of my favs:

Shires (duh)
Wedge (I have never experienced better customer service)
Adams (wonderful experience)
Curry (Mark has been amazing throughout the years)
Dillon Music (always quick, prompt and courteous!)
Osmun (always have treated me like gold).
Thompson music (fab)

I'm sure I'm forgetting some but that's due to a lot of missed high notes.
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
Randall Nelson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...my experience..in about the same or equal order...all are great for product AND service.

Kanstul
Mark Curry
Dan Oberloh
Fred Cirksena
Kanstul French Besson Marvin Stamm
Lawler C7
Getzen Custom 3051 LB RL
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best:
Wedge Mouthpiece - Dr. Harrison
Flip Oakes Trumpets

Worst:
never mind, but it is interesting that one or two on my worst list are on other folks' best list...
WxJeff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Dillon Music (always quick, prompt and courteous!)

+1 ...slightly surprised it took 'til the second page for them to get mentioned...
butxifxnot
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stores:
Dillon
Osmun
GR (Mr. Scriver! And staff)
Monette
mpcexpress
Thompson

People:
Mike Camarillo
Ken Larson
Blackburn

I've not done enormous amounts of business everywhere, but these companies and people have always proven very, very helpful and concerned with getting me what I need be it information or merchandise. Even when it meant they didn't get any business from me at that time.
mike ansberry
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably just about everyone will be surprised with my choice. JUPITER.
I use their instruments in my school bands. I used Holton a few years ago. They had bad valves in the horns they got from Czechoslovakia. They denied that there was any problem. Everyone I know that got those horns had trouble. Then we had Yamaha. Yamaha sent out student line horns with bad valves. They at least admitted there was a problem. Supposedly with a clamp that damaged the 1st and 3rd valves on many horns. But I've never liked any horns I had with Yammie valves. So then comes Jupiter. The first batch of horns I got had bad valves. They said their monel alloy was bad. They switched to nickel. They send me all new nickel valves for every horn in the room. Better, but not great. Then they came out with stainless steel valves. They sent me replacement valves for every Jupiter in my band. Now these valves are nice. The Jupiter brass I've been getting in the last several years have been really fine instruments. And these are their student line!

I have to say I like a company that will admit when they make a mistake, then go all the way down the road to the end to correct it the right way.
NCSAtrumpeter

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randall Nelson wrote:
...my experience..in about the same or equal order...all are great for product AND service.

Kanstul
Mark Curry
Dan Oberloh
Fred Cirksena

I'll put it in another vote for Fred Cirksena at Quality Brass. I have been very impressed with his customer service, honesty, pricing, prompt delivery, and he's just a genuinely nice guy.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge Mouthpieces -- Dr. Dave: Does that guy ever sleep? I'm a late-night web-surfer, and many of my emails to Dave were after midnight, west-coast time. Most of the time, he responded immediately. He worked with me through a selection process more generous than any other I'm aware of, and months later worked a custom experiment into his busy schedule. I play bent mouthpieces, and being non-radially symmetric the Wedge mouthpiece is slightly challenging. Only slightly, because the solution is to thread the top onto a given backbore, make sure everything is lined up right, and bend the thing. But no, I'm a cheapskate and wanted to experiment with backbores without bending every single one. Dr. Dave worked on an angled top, which I dubbed the "sand wedge," at no charge to me. He had at least one made, and wasn't happy with it. So he didn't send it to me, didn't charge me for it, just chalked it up to learning and said he'd have to think about it more. Exceptional service.

Michael Del Quadro (DQ Horns, AKA KansasTrumpet): I approached Michael with a silly request -- "I have an old cornet with a mangled bell, and the unique wrap suggests that a tuning bell modification, with one of your copper bells, would be intriguing. How about it?" Michael not only realized my concept, but he kept me in the loop the whole time and created a horn that exceeded my hopes.

Rich Ita: Rich modified a trumpet for me years ago, and supplied Pilczuk leadpipes for two others since. On the modification and one of the leadpipes, he really went the extra mile for me.

Honorable mention: They no longer exist as an independent company, but I once bought a Holton F alto trumpet from an online retailer. The horn was advertised as coming with a second main tuning slide for Eb, but when I received it the second slide wasn't there. I contacted the reseller and brought this to their attention. They blamed Holton, and explained that since it was a closeout instrument my choices were to accept it as it was, or return it. I elected to keep the horn, since I had bought it to threaten the french horn player in a quintet I was playing in at the time, but it still rankled me. I went to the Holton website, found a phone number, and called the company. When I presented my complaint, the receptionist transferred me to the shop floor foreman. His name was Frank, and I'm ashamed that I can't remember his last name all these years later. I explained my problem to him, and not only did he have the missing H-slide made (and silver-plated, as that was the finish of the trumpet I'd bought) and shipped to me free of charge, but he demanded the name of the Giardinelli (oops, did I get specific?) salesperson who'd blamed them for the problem. It turns out that Holton had discontinued the Eb extension slide years before, because it didn't give very good results, and Giardinelli hadn't updated their description. Indeed, my Holton alto trumpet plays atrociously with the Eb slide, but Frank made sure that I received it because that's what I thought I was buying.
dershem
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon - I've bought several horns from them, and always been treated well.

M/K drawing - they went out of their way when I wanted something from them, and provided a great tuning slide and fantastc service.

Marcinkiewicz - They've done several custom mouthpieces for me, and their service is all you could ask. I just wish I could afford their horns!

Flip Oakes - consummate musician, excellent horn maker, great guy.
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kanstul
Dillons
A&G Music/Best Repair
Thompson Music
Colin Publications
Rayburns (Boston)
Brass Labs
LB Bel Canto #59
Holton B47
Frankenhorn projects 1-5
Adams F1
Olds Super Tenor Trombone
Alesis QS8
B2MS3, B2GS3,

Last edited by oliver king on Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:24 am; edited 1 time in total
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clifford Blackburn and staff can't be beat.
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich Ita - The kind of guy you can just send, ask, and trust...Both for repair and horn purchase.

Fred Cirksena (Quality-Brass) - If someone asks you where they should go to get a used student horn...send them to Fred...Fair prices for clean horns...not the cheapest price...but good value.

Kanstul and Getzen - I've had horn overhauls with both companies (Getzen no longer does that service) bought some direct purchases, own instruments from, and they've always taken good care of me (Charles and Carrie at K and Mary Rima at G)

And while flaky lately with the merger and new computer system, they've always come through for me and over all some great deals....wwandbw/musiciansfriend especially if it's an item I don't want to spend a lot of money on...And you'll love their store if you make it to Indiana.

Bob Reeves - Haven't worked with him lately, but he really took care of me back in my student days, when I was so broke I bought two underpieces with one rim to save money. (Hey, $18 bucks was $18 bucks) back when he had his little shop in Hollywood.

Eric Bolvin - Haven't had time to really dig into the books yet for comment, but...super fast shipping...oops an error...very quick and friendly error correction. That's the kind of person it's great to do business with.

Last edited by ohiotpt on Sat Aug 29, 2009 4:17 am; edited 1 time in total
deatea
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have t agree that Steve from "Torpedo Bags" belongs on this list he has been top notch in trying to resolve any issues that I have had with his cases
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schilke
Anderson's
Rieman Music (local IA music store)
Taylor Music (Big mail order/online store in Aberdeen, SD)
WWBW (Always good for me)
Smith and Wesson
Winchester Repeating Arms
RCBS/Huntington
Hornady
National Rifle Association
Dillon Precision
Buick/General Motors
Eble Music (Sheet music galore in Iowa City- try them!)
Mnc
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dick Akright- A&G Best Repair
Jim Mc Combs- Dillon Music
Getzen
Roy Lawler
Dave Kessler-Kessler Music
Walt Blanton

All are first class companies and people...
seruch
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obvious echoes:
--Mark Curry
--Getzen (My Eterna Severinsen from HighSchool days still plays like then, even though I've taken lousy care of it. Valves are beauties - I wish I could challenge them....

But someone mentioned Wayne Tanabe ??!!? If he were either still in, or back in the biz, I'd concur. Did I miss him coming back (loved to occasionally stop into the Brass Bow in Chicago suburbs when he was here)????
s
BryceAdams

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monette
Thompson Music
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howard Wiseman
tptguy
Jerome Callet Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice to see so many people saying such good things about the people they are working with. It says a lot about the trumpet industry - most people are in it because they love and take great pride in what they do.

I'll give my vote to Jerry Callet because he helped me when no one else could. Not only has he provided tremendous help to nearly countless others, also he has probably given more free lessons that just about everyone else put together. I've never seen someone share their knowledge more freely. Oh, and it doesn't hurt that he has designed the best trumpet ever made along with great mouthpieces too. IMHO

My 2nd vote goes to Kanstul. They've made a lot of horns for me and the quality and support has always been excellent.

My 3rd vote goes to Charlie Melk, but I'll keep that one quiet. He's busy!

- Kyle
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: