• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Computer/bacground setup for performing in small venue?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:24 am    Post subject: Computer/bacground setup for performing in small venue? Reply with quote

I'm interested in doing some solo playing in small public places (libraries, small bars, etc, etc) but I'm not sure the best way to set things up.

I have an extra Apple Macbook, small mixer, mic's, and a speaker, but I'm not sure how to set things up.

There are a lot of YouTube videos with play-along background tracks, so I could rip them down to MP3's on the laptop hard drive, but what's the best software to use for playback?

I presume I run the mic and laptop to the mixer, balance them, and connect the mixer to the speaker.

Interested in any suggestions from people who have done this.

Thanks.
1948 Holton Model 48
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

General advise, don't get more complicated than you have to. The venues you would be playing for are fairly intimate settings. I can't imagine your needing your horn amplified.

I used to do a fair amount of solo work in those kind of settings and just had a playback for the accompaniment and acoustic, unamplified sound for my horn.

Of course, bars could be another scene. But my point is, don't use more equipment than you have to. Keep in mind, you have to schlep that stuff from the car to the venue and back.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
AV Trumpet

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are playing jazz, I would use an iPad with the iReal Pro app and a powered speaker. iRealPro will give you all the rhythm backing track parts that you would need for accompaniment. The trumpet would certainly not need to be amplified in typical small venues. But, it you played a larger venue, you can add a decent clip-on mic for your bell and connect that to the powered speaker as well. I highly recommend a clip on mic versus a stand mic for your trumpet. As Kehaulani said, keep it simple.
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks both.

I agree that simple is best, so I'll keep things as lean as possible.

I like the idea of iReal Pro. Much better option than downloading and storing random tracks from the internet.
1948 Holton Model 48
Richard III
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrary opinion coming. I just spent a couple of weeks on a cruise ship listening to people using backing tracks. It is soulless, sterile and to my ears offensive. I heard backing vocals, drums, horns, piano and all manner of artificially produced sound. I heard no art.

If you are going to do this, why have you there? The whole thing can be done these days with AI. Please find a guitar player or any kind of chord instrument and make it a duo. I know that isn't always possible, but humans beat machines every time.

Now back to your normal programming.

Today's Trumpet: 1937 Cleveland Toreador
1903 Conn "The Wonder" Cornet
1943 Conn 80A Cornet
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really going to argue it but I had very successful performances for almost sixteen years as a soloist with pre-recorded backings. There are superb backings available, you just have to find them.

Also, venue producers are not going to give you more money just because you added another musician. Probably, it's the same fee but, now, divided in half.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Benge 3X Cornet
Trumpjerele
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ireal pro is very useful, especially for practicing at home, but not for public presentation.

There are many quality backing tracks, recorded by real musicians that will give you a more professional result.

I recently saw a live sax + backing track performance, the sax was miked and passed through the mixer. The sax had some reberb, it sounded good.

Trumpet: Yamaha 8310Z
Mouthpiece: the great Yamaha11b4

Sax tenor: Yamaha YTS 23
Mouthpiece: Otto link tone edge
Shaft
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In 2009 I stopped doing cruise ships with carnival after three years. A lot of the arrangements were done by Nick Thorpe and the backing trumpet was Wayne Bergeron so it was like a free studio class with him trying to match him for everything. The house was mixed with the live band of 12 musicians and depending on how good the band was it would be determined how much of the stock recording was in the overall mix in the audience. Hopefully live music will make an overall comeback in general society, including cruise ships and other places.

That being said when it comes to more intimate smaller groups, some of them would play with backing tracks. The quality varied. The opinion before where some of them were soulless and sterile is accurate for some backings. You’ll have to determine that on your own and maybe asking some other people to listen as well.
rhatheway
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another option is to get a loop station and pre-record whatever backing tracks you need (percussion, guitar, etc.) at home. This way you can check the sound and ensure that it's not too sterile. It also lets you play along with it first, before you perform, so that you know how it sounds. Then take the loop station with you and plug it into the speaker system.

If you're not familiar with looping, here's a good site that provides a quick overview: https://blog.landr.com/live-looping/

“Without music, life would be a mistake” ― Friedrich Nietzsche

1958 Conn Director 14A
1968 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1977 Reynolds Medalist CR-58
gbdeamer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the feedback regarding backing tracks.

Unfortunately I don't have the requisite skill/talent to crate my own, so I'll be forced to use something that's already published.

I like the suggestion of adding a guitar player, but until i find one I'll be forced to make due with what I have.
1948 Holton Model 48
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: