• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Old FA Reynolds - mouthpiece receiver ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Emerson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Old FA Reynolds - mouthpiece receiver ? Reply with quote

Apologies to anyone who already ran into this query on another board.

If anybody has an early F.A. Reynolds trumpet, the 1936-52 horns (Dirk, you here?), I'd be really grateful if they could measure the mouthpiece receiver -- the length to where the leadpipe emerges from it.

I just picked up a great-playing example of what Contemporacorner calls the 'C' type, serial 9XXX. The outermost part of the mouthpiece receiver was cut off (what's left can be used, believe it or not, but that is highly funky).

I think an Ambassador receiver might work. The later ones have that same hex-shaped piece where the mouthpiece inserts -- similar to the Reynolds horns.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Steve.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a couple very early Reynolds, what exactly do you need? Just the receiver length? I have various receivers here, I will see if one might be a good fit.

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
bg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my WWII Reynolds Military Model:

Distance from receiver opening to leadpipe edge: 1.31 inches.

Total length of mouthpiece receiver: 2.13 inches

Hope this helps.

Brad Goode
Emerson

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A.N.A.Mendez wrote:
I have a couple very early Reynolds, what exactly do you need? Just the receiver length? I have various receivers here, I will see if one might be a good fit.

That would be fantastic, since you have the Reynolds horns on hand as well as the receivers and can tell what would work. Greatly appreciated.

Yes, I was just looking for the length. The outside diameter of the leadpipe where it meets the inner end of the receiver is very close to what my older Ambassador measures. But I didn't know how long it needed to me; the Reynolds's being not all there.

bg wrote:
On my WWII Reynolds Military Model:

Distance from receiver opening to leadpipe edge: 1.31 inches.

Total length of mouthpiece receiver: 2.13 inches

Hope this helps.

Yes, that is extremely helpful. Very close to what the receiver on my old Ambassador measures. (I am simply guessing that the newer Ambassadors, with hex-shaped outer part, measure the same here.)

Incidentally, since I've seen your posts on this, Brad, I recently had the valve-block braces on my Ambassador switched out for a pair of lighter ones to the second valve only. Quite a change. Plays like a different instrument (better).

Thanks to you both,
Steve
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think ALlied SUpply still has the recievers for the COntepera and Other high end models. I know they have the leadpipe for the COntepra last time I checked. So you can probably get a new. THe hex sided styles are generic now and can be had from a lot of sources Does yours have the Bronze bell? I have a brand new untouched bronze C bell from before Reynolds was bought out by Olds. Mine is almost a tangerine color in its raw state. It has a tight throat. So if that is also what you have it should be a great sounding C trumpet.
Emerson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the all the info, Capt. Kirk. The hex being generic now should make things easier. No bronze bell on my Reynolds, which is this model:

http://www.contemporacorner.com/images/horns/010225.jpg

Although mine isn't as spiffy-looking.

best,
Steve
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: