• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Mile Davis-Aura

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyjazz1968
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:17 am    Post subject: Mile Davis-Aura Reply with quote

I just saw (in another post) someone refer to the Miles Davis Album AURA in a slightly negative way. I just came back from a session in Fl and on the plane I had AURA jamming in my i-pod. I think this album is very interesting if only from the standpoint of composing etc. It has an electric vibe (which I fear is sometimes an unfair gripe of many so called straight jazzers) with a very "western-european" classical vibe. I certainly wouldnt call it smooth jazz! It is just interesting music. Certainly could not have been an easy album to record with all the orchestral musicians etc. Just wondering if anyone else here gets the same vibe I did..It's been a few years since I listened to it!!
trumpetDS
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not listened to it for sometime, however, I think it was quite strong compositionally. It is very hard to pigeonhole it into a genre. I perceived the recording as a classical CD with Miles improvising overtop of an orchestra. It is closer to classical improv than jazz. It reminds me of some of the projects of Markus Stockhausen. If I remember correctly from Miles autobiography, he was asked to bring two of his own musicians along for the session. He brought his nephew on bass and John McLaughlin on guitar I think. One thing is for sure- it is like no other recording Miles made.
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Mile Davis-Aura Reply with quote

jimmyjazz1968 wrote:
I just saw (in another post) someone refer to the Miles Davis Album AURA in a slightly negative way. !

I referred to Aura in a recent post stating that Miles's creative development extended at least through his creative work on that album.

Just in case it was my post that you referred to and that my comment may have been unclear, let me be really specific.

I think that both the composition and Miles's performance on that album are amoung the great events in the history of music. Period. That's it -- that's what I meant -- that's how I feel.

Aura's one of the albums I cite when people say stupid things like "Miles didn't do much after Gil Evans" or "Miles really didn't have much sense of music but he attracted a lot peoples attention to jazz, so I guess he was a plus in the big picture."

Tommy T.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Jazz/Commercial All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: