• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Courtois

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shasy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Courtois Reply with quote

I am a Music Major at USM in Maine and I am now on the hunt for a new Bb trumpet. I own a custom Bach 37 which is great but was wondering about the Courtois evolution series trumpets.
Does anyone have any thoughts on these instruments? Also what is the difference between the Evo I, II, III, and IV?
sunburstbasser
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to recall that as you got a higher "evolution," the weight was increased. I've played them and they are top-notch instruments. They are closer to other French designs, maybe a bit like Selmers, than to American horns. I recall the Courtois trumpets having a dark sound, but not smoky jazz club dark.

The Dallas Brass is using Courtois exclusively now and sound fabulous on them.
Selmer 24B Lightweight K-Mod
John Mock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh--the Evolution IV is back to a more "standard" design style and weight.

I have not played any of the Evolution Series, nor have I ever even seen one, but from what I've read there were allegedly some intonation issues with the Evolution I series, which were fixed in the later series...

I've played two different Courtois 311TC trumpets (one of their top pro models prior to the Evolution Series) for much of the last 10 years or so. They are wonderful sounding horns with a full, dark sound throughout the entire range--even up to double A--but if you were to play lead trumpet on a 4 hour gig, you would get tired out. At .463 bore they are very free blowing, flexible instruments--but require air in the high range.

Perhaps that is one reason most of the newer Courtois trumpets are smaller than .463 bore?

My 2c.

John

Last edited by John Mock on Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
John Mock
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One year ago I was told the Dallas Brass was using the new Accent trumpets exclusively.

Did they switch to Courtois since?

Edit: According to their website they are showing Courtois and Besson trademarks and instruments, so they must no longer be using Accent instruments.

John
sunburstbasser
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was news to me. I saw them about a month or so ago and they had the Courtois logo in the programs and even plugged them in the middle of the show. I also thought they were still using Accent, as that was what I had last heard. I don't remember anything about when they switched but I don't think it has been that long ago.

To be fair, these guys would sound wonderful on anything, but the broad warm trumpet sounds were at least partly the horns. They had three guys switching around on the trumpets when I saw them and "broad" and "warm" were the primary things the three had in common tonewise.
Selmer 24B Lightweight K-Mod
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=93067
TheTrumpetShop
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Courtois Reply with quote

If you want a Courtois, get the Evo IV. You can't go wrong... great horn. Go to Brass Gurus/Peninsula Music in California & tell 'em I sent you. They have great deals.
cleanhead77@embarqmail
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of those EVOs are so heavy you almost need a tripod to play one. You'd think with all that weight they'd be hard blowing, but I found them to be quite responsive.
laurent
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cleanhead77@embarqmail wrote:
Most of those EVOs are so heavy you almost need a tripod to play one. You'd think with all that weight they'd be hard blowing, but I found them to be quite responsive.

I tried an Evolution I about 6 months ago and found that it was a wonderful horn with a dark, sweet and full sound, very responsive, and its weight wasn't a problem for me: it was so well balanced, I felt it was quite a light horn...

The Evo II and Evo III models are bell over bell trumpets, but the Evo IV - that I never tried - looks exactly like the Evo I model.

So I guess that the Evo IV is an improvement of the Evo I, probably with a very similar weight...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: