• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Calicchio Trumpets?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted by user]

Last edited by agolden on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew, I have a half dozen different Calicchios that you're welcome to try, including a 1s/7 and 1s/2. I'm not too far away (Silver Spring, MD). So give me a shout after the holidays.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sunburstbasser
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to Galen. Playing the 1s/7 and 1s/2 is a great starting point since those are Calicchio's bread and butter, respectively. I seem to recall that Galen is also close to the company and understands the horns and how they play very well. You'd be hard pressed to find a better place to try out Calicchio trumpets.
Selmer 24B Lightweight K-Mod
agolden
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[deleted by user]

Last edited by agolden on Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes do it, they're tricky to find in general so that would be a great help to you!
oliver king
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone could post their experience with a ML 3/7 I'd be interested in reading about it. Thanks!
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agolden wrote:
Galen, I actually met you at ITG over the summer. I sent you a message via your website a couple days ago! looking forward to trying out some horns!

Hi Andrew -- I don't know why, but I didn't get your email. Try gtromble@gmail.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oliver king wrote:
If anyone could post their experience with a ML 3/7 I'd be interested in reading about it. Thanks!

Oliver - I find a lot of times that when people play the horns they end up liking something different than they thought they would. One of these examples involves the R3/7 ML (red brass bell). I worked with a young, pro, jazz player last spring who thought he wanted a 3/9L (the 'Freddie Hubbard') model. He went right to that one first and played it for almost an hour, checking it out loud and soft, high and low. I thought he sounded great on it, and he did too, but he felt it was too much work (this is about the biggest configuration in the Calicchio line). He played several other models and quickly homed in on the 3/7 ML. The sound was big and rich, similar to the bigger horn but with a bit more focus, and the feel of the horn to play was much more comfortable for him. So that's the one he took home.

I had played that horn a bit, in both jazz combo and big band section playing, and liked it a lot. The sound was very flexible and versatile.
sunburstbasser
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My horn arrived today in 1s/2 configuration and I think the best words to describe it would be "Trompeta, di tutti trompeta."
2LIP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: 1s/2 Reply with quote

Congratulations on the 1s/2 configuraton. I've been hunting for a complimentary horn for my ZKT1600 for some time and have honed in on the Calicchio line as well. About 1.5 weeks ago I picked up a post-Dom LA model which looks to be built in the late 90s and it's a 1sZ/2. I also was on the fence about this model so I purchased a Callet Superchops at the same time. Recorded all 3 today and I think they're both great horns, but the Calicchio just has a 'spark' in the studio that's different than the others. And as they said in the old days 'tape don't lie'...

I plan to post a full write up soon. I would like to try a 1s/7 and a 1s/2 as well without the extra Zinc in the bell. It makes it a bit easier to cut the brightness with some Zinc, but still sounds great.
sunburstbasser
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats exactly what my horn was, a post-Dom Hollywood from the late 90s. Now it has almost as many Tulsa parts as Hollywood!

I liked the open feel of my 1600 and the tightness of the 7 leadpipe was the only thing that I didn't really care for. I got the chance to play a few different configurations and the 1s/2 worked much better, so I had mine converted. The sound really kicks out, and if anything it sounds better than it did before.
gitrdonejazz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bourbon City wrote:
I have two Dominick made trumpets: a 1s/2 and a R3/2. They both are my pride and joy. When I get enough money saved I plan on buying a Tula, John Duda made 1s/2.

I have heard by many players of Calicchio trumpets that the Duda made trumpets are equally as good (if not better) as Dominick's horns. That is saying alot my musician friends.

Since you own both the 1S and R3, perhaps you can help. What are the different venues you play and which horn do you take to each?

For example - Bigband versus small group jazz versus local brass band. Which horn would you take for each of these - and why.

I was sold on the R3, and then I read several posts indicating the 1s would actually blend better in a bigband section or brass band than the R3. I was previously under the impression the 1s would be too much for a section. I'd appreciate your thoughts.
windandsong
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i bought my 1s/7, although I could feel the resistance of it, the 1s/2 felt even tighter to me. weird! Guy in he shop seemed to think the 1s2 was strictly a lead horn.

There was an R3 there too...in response to the above post I think it would have stuck out like a sore ish thumb, big band or classical. cassical prob no no.

man i need a new horn...
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some folks feel the #2 pipe as 'tighter' than the #7. This is mostly when people play them for the first time. I've found you can adapt to the different resistance fastest if you start with easy notes like G or C in the staff at soft volumes - so you're not overblowing from the start.

I'm also a big fan of Warburton mps, and find that the right backbore can make a huge difference.
Matthew Anklan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windandsong wrote:
When i bought my 1s/7, although I could feel the resistance of it, the 1s/2 felt even tighter to me. weird! Guy in he shop seemed to think the 1s2 was strictly a lead horn.

There was an R3 there too...in response to the above post I think it would have stuck out like a sore ish thumb, big band or classical. cassical prob no no.

man i need a new horn...

The sound of the 1s/2 is very commercial in nature. I would not take this horn to an orchestral gig! This horn will soar over a big band or work great in a rock/funk setting and also print very well.
jazzer_jose

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew --

Here's my two-cents. As someone who plays a 1s2 (75th Anniversary model) and having switched out the #7 leadpipe with the #2 leadpipe, I would say (1) ChopsGone really nailed in his post the differences between these leadpipes with a 1s bell, and (2) take up Galen on his generous offer. Good luck!
gitrdonejazz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtromble wrote:
...I had played that horn a bit, in both jazz combo and big band section playing, and liked it a lot. The sound was very flexible and versatile.

Hi Galen. I can't tell from your post whether the horn you played the R3/7 or a standard 3/7 in Jazz combo and Bigband section - Can you clarify?

The majority of my playing is in Bigband section and I was leaning heavily towards the R3/7, but would shy away if it "stands out like a sore thumb".

I don't want to repeat the mistake I made with the Wild Thing. The sound was gorgeous for church and small combo, but in Bigband section the other fellers would constantly have me check my tuning (which was always spot on in-tune with the other players), the sound was so spread and broad it just didn't "fit in". Also, it felt like my sound was covered up because it was such a broad sound pattern.

I was looking at the Calicchio because I love the brilliant sound, but thinking the Red Brass would mellow the sound over a 1s, yet still give me the Calicchio brilliance and projection.

Thoughts?
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gitrdonejazz wrote:
I can't tell from your post whether the horn you played the R3/7 or a standard 3/7 in Jazz combo and Bigband section - Can you clarify?

Sure. It was an R3/7. If most of your playing is in a big band section, you might like the R2 bell. It's a bit more focused than the 3 bell, which is quite a large one -- not quite as big as the wild thing's, but heading in that direction (I have a WT by the way, so I know what they're like.)

Galen
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone give a 30 second overview of the R2 bell vs the standard #2 bell?

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
gtromble
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingSilverSonic wrote:
Can anyone give a 30 second overview of the R2 bell vs the standard #2 bell?

The red brass in the R2 bell gives it a somewhat warmer sound than yellow brass, which has a little more edge. Since the Calicchio horns in general tend toward an assertive presence in the sound, the red brass can balance that with some warmth. I had an R2/9 earlier this year that had a very versatile tone quality. Many folks at ITG and other venues picked it out as their favorite. The 2 bell, in general, gives a bit broader sound than the 1s bell, but it still has plenty of focus and pop for lead playing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: