• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Calicchio Trumpets?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingSilverSonic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtromble wrote:
KingSilverSonic wrote:
Can anyone give a 30 second overview of the R2 bell vs the standard #2 bell?

The red brass in the R2 bell gives it a somewhat warmer sound than yellow brass, which has a little more edge. Since the Calicchio horns in general tend toward an assertive presence in the sound, the red brass can balance that with some warmth. I had an R2/9 earlier this year that had a very versatile tone quality. Many folks at ITG and other venues picked it out as their favorite. The 2 bell, in general, gives a bit broader sound than the 1s bell, but it still has plenty of focus and pop for lead playing.

Thanks. When I visited the Calicchio shop this past April I don't believe that John had a horn with a #2 bell. BTW - I was able to play all of the horns that he had made to go to you for the ITG. I made my visit at just the right time.

Lawler C7
Burbank Benge C
Calicchio 1s/2
King Symphony 20 DB and Silver Sonic Cornet
Lawler flugelhorn
Member: Bugles Across America
gitrdonejazz
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gtromble wrote:
...Sure. It was an R3/7. If most of your playing is in a big band section, you might like the R2 bell. It's a bit more focused than the 3 bell, which is quite a large one -- not quite as big as the wild thing's, but heading in that direction (I have a WT by the way, so I know what they're like.)

Galen

The WT was one heck-uva-horn. If I could own a stable of horns, I'd keep a WT in there for sure. Perfect for small group jazz and the sound was awesome. I was just getting burried in big band...

I appreciate your insight into the R2. Have to look into this further.
2LIP
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Further experiences Reply with quote

So I've now recorded and played the Calicchio in a few different settings. It is the best tracking horn that I've ever played in the studio. The next best was a late 70s vintage Getzen which had a nice bright sound in the studio. Soundmen used to complain about that horn...

So back to the Calicchio. It's a 1sZ/2 and recording is great, live it works in the right settings. I played it with a rock band and it worked great. I played in with a small combo with an open floor plan bar/restaurant and it was difficult to not hurt patrons. I played in 2 different big bands with it and one it worked great. The other I found myself wishing I'd brought the Kanstul ZKT1600 as I felt that I was overpowering other section members (and I was subbing on 4th trumpet with them). This is not the most powerful section I've played with and everyone is going for that dark spread sound so I stuck out.

Bottom line - the Calicchio is a keeper for now. It needs some TLC and a few tweaks to be great, plus a good MP match and I will have a recording/rock band setup that can't be beat.

For the more intimate gigs/jazz gigs/church gigs, the Kanstul will be grabbed.

I feel like I have the best of both worlds with these two horns and find I have more color palettes with the Kanstul, but never gets extreme to either way. It's kind of like wheat toast. You can toast it light or dark, but it's never dark like black bread or white like white bread... : D
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Calicchio Trumpets? Reply with quote

agolden wrote:
.........I currently play an old medium bore NY Bach with a 43 bell, the only beef I have with this horn is that it plays realllllllly sharp. It's more the horn than me lol, (I hope!! ) .............Thanks,

Andrew

Hey Andrew, just popped in on this thread to do some 'learnin up' on Calicchios and noticed your comment about the Strad playing sharp.

You may not be aware of this, but V. Bach made two lengths of leadpipes in those days, so if you're sharp across the board, you actually may just be puzzled about having to pull the slide so far to get it to tune to 440Hz.

The standard pipe assembly (including receivers) is 13", but they were +/-12-3/8" on New York and early Mt. Vernon Strads. I had to pull my NY out an inch for it to play in tune.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: