• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

CGP : what size rim

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:12 am    Post subject: CGP : what size rim Reply with quote

I've been reading a lot of posts on the Merc CGP mouthpiece and it seems like some think it is the size of the CG 3c and others say it is the size of a Bach 7c. Does anyone know definitively what the size is? I'm playing a Bach 7c right now and think that the CGP might be more comfortable while staying around the 7c size.
jscahoy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitively, no. But for what it's worth, I use the Marcinkiewicz CG Personal, and to me it feels pretty close to a Bach 7C. I don't think you'd find it too wide. It's very deep though, which may or may not be to your liking.
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's really hard to say - the thin vertical rim profile seems to affect different people in different ways, which is probably why different players feel the rim to be different sizes.

Personally it feels noticeably larger than a 7c, but I'm fully aware that this is a very personal judgement.

Honestly, you'd have to try it yourself to find out.
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the rim profile was more flat/wide than thin? That's why I was thinking about trying this piece? The 7C rim is not too bad for me but I do feel a difference between it and say, the rim on a 10-1/2C or 3C but I like how deep the 7C is in comparison to the 10-1/2C and 3C.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've played a CGP, just got another. The me it feels more like a Bach 5B with a more rounded narrow rim funnel like cup. I like the sound of this MP, but playing it with a large bore horn can be a chore if you are out of shape or don't play every day.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
TKSop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, by "vertically thin" I was describing the dimension you see if you look at the mouthpiece side-on (as if you're reading the model number and can't see the cup), the rim is thin in that dimension.

If you're looking for something similar to the 7C but with a flat and wider rim, the CGP is not it.
Personally I find the rim more comfortable, but it feels quite rounded to me - quite aside from that, you're looking at a very different cup shape (CGP is a V-shape, the 7C is a U shape), the CGP has far more open blow, too... the two aren't really comparable in any sense.
falado
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2016 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CGP has a 20 or 22 drill. My CGP flugelhorn MP has a drill big enough to shoot BBs through. I also have a Flip Oakes 5X trumpet mouthpiece and it has a very deep V cup and a much bigger drill.

I believe the CGP is a trumpet version of either Dale Staiger's or Herbert L. Clark's cornet mouthpiece cup and rim.

Dave
Bach 37, Early Elkhart, Blueprinted
Kanstul Flugel
Getzen 4 valve Pic.
Yamaha D/Eb
Besson Cornet
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: