• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Adjusting the gap--alternative to sleeves?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Adjusting the gap--alternative to sleeves? Reply with quote

I have a great mouthpiece that is comfortable, gets a great sound, super-responsive, etc.

However, I have a concern about the gap. The silver is worn away down to raw brass on the bottom inch and a half of the mouthpiece--it doesn't seem to seat securely and there are a lot of squirrelly notes that are insecure and tend to crack.

I tried the Paper Trick and BOOM--everything came into focus, the sound got even better and it's almost impossible to crack a note. Clearly a gap problem that could be rectified by sleeves, right?

But this mouthpiece happens to be a Mt. Vernon 3C and I don't want to cut on it. Do you think re-silvering it may add enough to the shank that it would have the same effect as a sleeve?

But I don't even want to mess with the silver on the top part. I'm afraid it will change something in a minor way.

Is it possible to just add silver to the shank to make it seat better in the receiver.

Any other creative thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by markp on Sun May 08, 2016 3:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that Terry Everson uses scotch tape on his favorite Mt. Vernon 1-1/2C which has the same issue.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a bit better than putting paper on it every time I play, but I'm hoping for a more permanent solution.

But thanks!
jaysonr
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think he's been doing it for years!
homecookin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could call Bob Reeves and he will be able to address your mouthpiece concerns.
Or there are a number of other shops around the country that also make mouthpeces and do work on restoring older mouthpieces. I just mentioned Bob Reeves because that's who I have done business with over a period of many years, in fact he has plated a couple of my mouth pieces, a couple in silver, and one in gold plate. I have always been happy with
his work. I really do not know the answer to your question, but Bob Reeves will.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps this includes building up the shank if necessary? Matt Frost is a mouthpiece whiz.

Rebuild Worn Shank $50
Rebuild your worn trumpet or cornet mouthpiece shank. This service repairs the wear and tear of the shank of your mouthpiece. This service also allows you to customize (specify) the shank end diameter of your mouthpiece - but without the use of an o-ring, which some players find "deadens" the sound.

http://www.frostcustombrass.net/services.html

-- Joe
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaysonr wrote:
I've heard that Terry Everson uses scotch tape on his favorite Mt. Vernon 1-1/2C which has the same issue.

As an alternative, I and others I know, have used "plumbers tape" on our saxes with good results.

Not the same specific problem, but similar issues, can be compensating for used (worn down) cork on the sax mouthpiece where many wrap paper around the neck to take up the space caused by use.

The plumbers tape doesn't leave the adhesive residue that scotch tape does. Might want to give it a try.

Yamaha 8310Z Bobby Shew trumpet
Benge 3X Trumpet
Getzen Capri Cornet
Adams F-1 Flghn
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

homecookin wrote:
You could call Bob Reeves and he will be able to address your mouthpiece concerns.
Or there are a number of other shops around the country that also make mouthpeces and do work on restoring older mouthpieces. I just mentioned Bob Reeves because that's who I have done business with over a period of many years, in fact he has plated a couple of my mouth pieces, a couple in silver, and one in gold plate. I have always been happy with
his work. I really do not know the answer to your question, but Bob Reeves will.

Yeah, I plan to give them a call next week but am just trying to do some research and inquiry before then.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kehaulani wrote:
jaysonr wrote:

As an alternative, I and others I know, have used "plumbers tape" on our saxes with good results.

Not the same specific problem, but similar issues, can be compensating for used (worn down) cork on the sax mouthpiece where many wrap paper around the neck to take up the space caused by use.

The plumbers tape doesn't leave the adhesive residue that scotch tape does. Might want to give it a try.

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try.

I don't give two hoots about cosmetics. Actually, it might be cool to play a set-up relying on bobby pins and chewing gum.
american boy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it (mouthpiece and tpt) to a good tech..You might need a new receiver on the lead pipe which is an easy repair,and you won't have to worry about messing with the mouthpiece.A good tech will be able to know this and recommend options
Andy Del
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 single layer of magic tape, which removes easily and leave little residue. if that makes the mpc and horn play well, then leave it alone and stay with that. If its only one single trumpet that has the issue, put the tape on the inside of the receiver. My Kanstul 1500A has had that for years and it works a treat. Just replace the tape every year or so...

Cheers

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: