• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

post wisdom teeth extraction playing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mg38024

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had all my wisdom teeth pulled almost three weeks ago. I laid off totally for a week before I picked up my horn. The first time I even put the horn to my lips it hurt, a lot. It 's three weeks later and I'm still in intense pain when I play. When I make the embouchure the extraction sites seem to be pinched just right (or wrong from my point of view). Has anyone else experienced a similar problem? Honestly, I'm getting sick of this.

Michael
kcrw

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my wisdom teeth pulled 3 weeks ago, I only had the bottom 2 though. I didn't/couldn't play for almost a week. Then when I went back to school I played a little bit in band, but I couldn't hit a C on the staff. It hurt to play for a while. I mostly had to take everything down an octave so I could play it. My playing was altered for about 2 weeks. Now I am almost back to normal. I think it hurt my range a little. I have been practicing a lot since this happened. I have been playing/practicing for about 4 hours every day. I also took pain medicine before playing which made it easier.

Casey Welty
ChopsMcgraw
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had all 4 removed this summer (all impacted) Lay off until it don't hurt no more. I tried to be a bad ass and play through the pain, and ended up with an open hole in my empty socket that would fill with air like some kind of balloon. This lead to an infection, the draining of which hurt worse than the wisdom teeth getting pulled. Don't be dumb like me, let it heal.

ChopsMcgraw
pedaltonekid
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had 3 wisdom teeth extracted at 1 time about 7 years ago. I actually started playing again the very next day. I took it easy, slow scales and stayed within the staff the first 2-3 days, then gradually went back to normal playing within 10 days. I was lucky!! You may have a condition known as "dry socket." This can be a serious condition and you should go back to your dentist to have hime evaluate your specific case. Do this right away.
JoeCool
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aw man, I FEEL for you. The week after I graduated from high school (1976--Sheesh!)I had all 4 of mine pulled. Well, one of them had grown and hooked into my jaw and the dentist had to literally chip it out of my jaw. I had bruises up and down my neck. I couldn't play all summer. And I was to be a performance major in the fall. I got so frustrated, I quit playing. Dummy me. Of course, obviously I picked back up, or I wouldn't be making this post. Just let it heal. Your body is unique from everyone else. Just listen to it and take it easy and let it heal. Then don't get discouraged when it feels like you have to start from scratch. Hang in there, this too will pass.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: