• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

The holly grail.........

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:49 am    Post subject: The holly grail......... Reply with quote

Check this baby fellas , I relly want it bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boston-Musical-Instrment-Co-Cornet-3-Star-Ne-Plus-Ultra_W0QQitemZ110473049373QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBrass_Instruments?hash=item19b8b4f51d

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Selmer Paris 3 valve picc
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
wvtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is Beautiful!!!!!
bobd0
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: The holly grail......... Reply with quote

Delete

Last edited by bobd0 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is indeed the Holy Grail of cornets, in superb shape and with the 1 piece leadpipe.
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
www.myspace.com/trumpetofthelord
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: The holly grail......... Reply with quote

bobd0 wrote:
giakara wrote:
Check this baby fellas , I relly want it bad.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Boston-Musical-Instrment-Co-Cornet-3-Star-Ne-Plus-Ultra_W0QQitemZ110473049373QQcmdZViewItemQQptZBrass_Instruments?hash=item19b8b4f51d

Regards

Buy it, Giakara. It's only money and that horn is beautiful and so rare this may be your only chance!

Dont do this to me , if i buy one more horn my wife gonna kill me for sure , all time i told her "o.k honey this is the last one "

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of wives. Not so many 3 Stars.
bobd0
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: The holly grail......... Reply with quote

Delete

Last edited by bobd0 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
giakara
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: The holly grail......... Reply with quote

bobd0 wrote:
giakara wrote:

Dont do this to me , if i buy one more horn my wife gonna kill me for sure , all time i told her "o.k honey this is the last one "

Regards

I have to do this to you, Giakara. I consider it my duty. If you don't buy it you'll regret it for the rest of your life. When you get that horn you'll thank me.

tptptp wrote:
There are lots of wives. Not so many 3 Stars.

That's absolutely right, Craig. You can always get another wife, Giakara. But where or when will you ever find another 3 Star in such pristene condition?

Just use A.N.A. Mendez's tactic -- stack up some of your cases and mark them "EMPTY". It will be months before she bothers to check. Or do what I do. Tell her you're going to sell another horn to help pay for it. Then never sell the other horn.

The last advise is the smarter .... but realy dont have the balls to do it

Regards
Getzen eterna 910 C
Getzen eterna 850 cornet
Yamaha 731 flugel
Carol mini pocket
Reeves/Purviance mpcs
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Boston cornet looks like it has a set of Benge finger buttons on it, but I could be mistaken. I'm just sayin'. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just tell your wife it's the HOLLY grail, necessary for a Holly Jolly Christmas.
missmybaby
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy it. Then play your lovely wife a beautiful ballad with it. And don't forget the flowers, douchebag...
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks promising.

Before you drop a load of dough, go back and check Tom Turner's posts about this model in the archives.

Can't recall exactly, but it seems to me that Tom says the very best ones are a little younger than this one--around 1913--1915.

There is still time, and maybe he could weigh in with his thoughts.

If I could be convinced that this is one of the best players (collecting pretty artifacts that don't play up to state-of-the art standards is not my bag), I may use some of my Christmas money and try my luck.
Bourbon City
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these but with a two piece lead pipe. This one makes mine look really bad and mine is in very good condition. This Cornet could go for more than 1200 USD. I would sure get your bid in on this one.

I am unemployed and now broke, otherwise I would be bidding myself.
missmybaby
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand by what I said before. If I had the cash, I'd buy the sumbitch myself!
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roynj wrote:
This Boston cornet looks like it has a set of Benge finger buttons on it, but I could be mistaken. I'm just sayin'. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Nahhh . . .

The INCREDIBLE Boston 3-Star cornets came with finger buttons and valve caps that may have inspired Benge later on!

Here's one of my twin pair of original-silver plated 1911 Boston 3-Stars, next to a photo of Doc's gold plated, with original deluxe engravings fixed leadpipe Boston 3-Stars, showing the valve buttons, et al.

DOUBLE CLICK ON THE PHOTO FOR ENLARGEMENT OF DETAIL:

NOTE: The 3-Star in the ebay ad is missing the little original clamp around the third valve slide that you attach the marching music lyre into. A small harping about the one in the auction.

T.
tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another mild concern about this "original" 3-Star is the case.

Although it looks mighty similar to the original Boston 3-Star case of the 1911-1914 time frame, a LOT of makes of horns used this basic case supplier back then and the internals would be tailored for a specific horn.

BOTH of my two 1911 era 3-Stars (serial numbers less than 260 apart), with the one pictured below less than fifty numbers apart from the one in the auction) have identical cases. The one in the ad differs in how the horn is held both my cases have identical 3-hole mouthpiece/bit holders plus the red-brown "lube tin" holder seen under the crook of the horn in my photo.

Yes, the ebay horn IS 40 something numbers older than my oldest 1911 specimen and yes, Boston could have spec'ed a different case for that horn, and yes, cases COULD have been an option . . . so yes, the case in the auction COULD be original. Maybe.

BTW: The case is UPSIDE DOWN in my photo. The green area with the Boston gold banner is actually the underside of the case's lid.

The horn was loosely put in "place" for the quick photo, and I didn't snap the green strap that crosses over the valve casings in their middle area to hold the horn securely to the case's valve block area.

Inetresting trivia maybe for some, I hope . . .

In any event, the ebay horn looks really nice . . . exactly the kind to bid on if one is a serious player and desires a really fine PLAYING Boston 3-Star. I'd never waste my time on any "beater" vintage cornet. Instead, I look for pristine specimens that were never abused. These are the ones that will usually play in a manner representative of what the original horns would do in any make's line-up.

Hope this helps,

Tom

BTW . . . I know a fellow who has an absolutely perfect, AS NEW 3-Star that his professional uncle owned late in his career as a featured cornetist. Gold plated Botson mouthpieces and all, with zero nicks or even micro "scratches" to the surface of the horn's 100% finish to hint that it was not just made YESTERDAY. It includes a full "kit" inside the case (all originally supplied slides, mouthpieces, etc AND the lube tin that's always missing!).

He once put it on ebay to get an idea how much this incredible top-of-the-line and state-of-the-art artist's instrument was worth. He put a staggering "reserve" price on the horn so it wouldn't sell . . . and bidding got to nearly $4,000 by the last second snipers! WOW, WHAT A SPECIMEN . . . it made my really nice ones look . . . emmmm . . . like a "perfect" 50,000-mile car next to a brand new one.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, if that isn't an indicator of the present state of the economy, I don't know what is.

It sold for LESS than 1500 dollars, and I certainly hope it went to a TH'er, what an incredible deal.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Dale Proctor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom turner wrote:
...I'd never waste my time on any "beater" vintage cornet. Instead, I look for pristine specimens that were never abused. These are the ones that will usually play in a manner representative of what the original horns would do in any make's line-up...

A pearl of wisdom from Tom! This is a fact that is often overlooked. In addition to playing correctly, a nice original will also usually have the best value. To take a beater and "rescue" it will many times cost as much or more than buying a good example in the first place, and it still won't be as good as the original. About the only times a rescue is in order are when the horn's so rare that there aren't any nice original ones available, or the horn has sentimental value.
MattC
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In any event, the ebay horn looks really nice . . . exactly the kind to bid on if one is a serious player and desires a really fine PLAYING Boston 3-Star. I'd never waste my time on any "beater" vintage cornet. Instead, I look for pristine specimens that were never abused. These are the ones that will usually play in a manner representative of what the original horns would do in any make's line-up.

Usually.

I recall the story of the first Laskey conversion C trumpet comes to mind. As I recall, someone walked into Bronstein's (south San Francisco) with a pristine NY Bach C trumpet. It was a dog as a player (at least, before Scott did his magic)
razeontherock
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do I sense there's more to this story?

And whoever the new propud owner is better 'fess up!!

Man would I like to compare one of these to my all original Association Generale (or whatever it is that got bought up by Couesnon pre-1905)
Tom, if you ever come out Chicago way give me a shout - I'm even getting a standard Warburton shank for it ... just to tempt you

Ray
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: