• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Why no international shipping?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NMex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:54 am    Post subject: Why no international shipping? Reply with quote

Hello,
I've sold a couple of horns over the last several years and try to do a transaction that is honest and upfront. I research what others have done and am sort of interested in why people refuse to do international shipping, outright. Does payment by PayPal guard against fraud? Are there things to watch out for if you decide to ship internationally.
Call me curious.
Thanks,
NMex
Mikeytrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my personal experience: I do not trust certain foreign postal services (especially Italy). I have lost a lot of $$ from articels that are supposedly "lost" in shipment. The buyer does not want to pay for insured, guaranteed postage from the USA. The United States Postal Service has no way of tracking a package once it leaves their custody. (Unless the buyer agrees to pay for the premium airmail USPS shipping).
Foreign buyers don't seem to realize that it is not the problem of the US postal service when items don't arrive at their foreign destination. So....I refuse to ship anything outside of North America, unless the buyer is willing to pay the extra postage.

Let the flames begin.....
40cal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't buy or ship internationally. If I get screwed, I want the suspect to be in the USA. I have had multiple people try to rip me off. Each time I was able to get my $$ back. What do you think your chances are of getting your money/item back from a foreign country?
NMex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

40cal wrote:
I won't buy or ship internationally. If I get screwed, I want the suspect to be in the USA. I have had multiple people try to rip me off. Each time I was able to get my $$ back. What do you think your chances are of getting your money/item back from a foreign country?

What are some of the things you've had happen to you? I'd like to hear people's experiences and maybe figure out how the hurdles can be overcome and the pitfalls avoided.

Thanks,
NMex
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikeytrpt wrote:
...The United States Postal Service has no way of tracking a package once it leaves their custody...

Just for your information:

I live & work in Europe and quite regularly import instruments and things from the US.
Indeed USPS tracking codes work fine until the goods leave the US, after that you can't trace the package through the USPS site.
However, from the moment it leaves the US, you can trace a package by using the same tracking code for a search on the site of the national post company of the country of destination (in my case Spanish Correos). Delays of 7-10 days are almost always caused by customs, but that will also show on your tracking information.
At least here in Spain USPS/Spanish-Post work very well and I much prefer to have stuff sent through them than UPS, FEDEX or others.

Every country might be different though.

MvW.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I often say "no" to international shipping as a seller. Why? Purely ignorance on my part. I don't know how to price it and I don't know the best way to ship it. I don't know how to mark something for customs inspections.

If someone were to want to buy something from me for shipment internationally and could walk me through the process, I might do it.

If I were making a living selling, I would definitely look into it. But for the casual seller, international shipping appears risky (even though it may not be) and just one lost or bad deal can put a significant hurt on the pocketbook.

I have purchased items that have shipped from England and Canada before and have gotten them fine without problem.

-- Joe
40cal
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NMex wrote:
40cal wrote:

What are some of the things you've had happen to you? I'd like to hear people's experiences and maybe figure out how the hurdles can be overcome and the pitfalls avoided.

Thanks,
NMex

One instance, I bought a mouthpiece from someone on ebay. I sent money via paypal he kept making excuses, saying he would send it blah blah blah....finally I just made a few phone calls and I had the item, which was not as described and it did not even fit properly in to any of my trumpets. I did ultimately get my money back. I forgot to mention that this took place over a several weeks.

Things like this seem to happen to me for some reason. Maybe it is my sunny demeanor that leads people to believe they can screw with me.
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cjl wrote:
I often say "no" to international shipping as a seller. Why? Purely ignorance on my part. I don't know how to price it and I don't know the best way to ship it. I don't know how to mark something for customs inspections.

+1
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
NMex
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my only experience shipping internationally. I sold a nice Olds Super to a gentleman in Norway. He told me how he wanted it shipped. I packed it up, and dropped by the post office where they told me the price to ship to this guy's address. I contact him again and ask him to make the appropriate payment to my PayPal account for the horn and shipping. Once I have the monies in my PayPal account, I ship the horn. A couple of weeks later, I email him to verify his receipt and all is ok. I only had to fill out one more piece of paper than usual. I was no big deal in this case. It took one more trip to the Post Office than usual. That's all.

I had a guy ask me to ship a horn to Israel. I was selling without a case. He asks if I can buy a case, add it to the cost, and ship it all. That was a bit much to ask, I thought.

Regards,
NMex
damo_4701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a buyer in Australia I am very limited in what is available to buy internationaly. Here we have a ridiculus used market price.
I have bought many horns from the US and have never had a problem.(there is always escrow) Because I have been given this option many times I always give the option of worldwide sale on my sales.......except for Italy on brass instruments. It is actuallt against the law there to import second hand horns(or something very similar) and the horn you are shipping there can be taken by customs. Be warned.
For the people who are outside of the US a quick email can get positive results. One from three will usually change their mind and ship internationally. It's always worth a try.
53' LA Olds Ambassador cornet
64' Conn 22B victor
eclectic tastes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> The Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: