• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help! I think I was scammed!

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:33 am    Post subject: Help! I think I was scammed! Reply with quote

Do you know Jaimie Branch?

I just bought a York cornet that she was selling on Craigslist, but I'm starting to think I was scammed.

She always answered very fast all my e-mail's, but now that I have already paid and that she must ship the horn she doesn't answer any more. (more than 48h without answer).

She gave me a phone number that always reach the answering machine.

I really need your help, because it's the very first time I buy something from an individual in the USA. Please help me to find her to get my horn or help me to receive my money back. (I paid with my credit card).

Thank you very much and desperate for answers!

Robson

P.S. She told me that she lives in Chicago and that she studied at the New England Conservatory with Charles Schlueter

1 Corinthians 14:8 (KJV)
"For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?"
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://myspace.com/jaimiebranch

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/jaimie-branch/8/548/810

http://citypaper.net/articles/2008/01/10/jaimie-branch-trio

If you pay with the credit card and the goods are not delivered within reasonable time (find out how long is that by your credit card company's standards), call the credit card company and explain what happened.
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice on the credit card protection. It could be that she is busy and just hasn't gotten back to you yet. People do get busy. But still be careful. Her profile makes her seem legit.

However, not to alarm you, but here in Atlanta we have had several Craigs list scams. It has become less and less reliable. Most of them have been related to renting homes or apartments with a downpayment to three or four different people.

Just out of curiosity how did you pay?

Please let us know how it works out!

Mike
craigtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

She seems to be a pretty cool girl. I say relax and give her some time before you jump on a public forum and accuse her (by name nonetheless) of scamming you.
1950/60's Couesnon Monopole Flugel
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Help! I think I was scammed! Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
Do you know Jaimie Branch?

I just bought a York cornet that she was selling on Craigslist, but I'm starting to think I was scammed.

She always answered very fast all my e-mail's, but now that I have already paid and that she must ship the horn she doesn't answer any more. (more than 48h without answer).

She gave me a phone number that always reach the answering machine.

I really need your help, because it's the very first time I buy something from an individual in the USA. Please help me to find her to get my horn or help me to receive my money back. (I paid with my credit card).

Thank you very much and desperate for answers!

Robson

P.S. She told me that she lives in Chicago and that she studied at the New England Conservatory with Charles Schlueter

I know her brother and played a concert with her in brass band about 4 years ago, just after she graduated from NEC. She is likely to be quite reliable. I would give it more time, and use email (not phone) to try to get an update from her. How much time has passed since you bought the cornet? I would allow at least two weeks in the states, and add another week for international.
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree about giving ample time to make extra-sure that this isn't just a matter of confusion or that maybe there is an innocent mistake or plausible explanation.

BUT THEN......This is the PERFECT place to shout to the trumpet world. I can think of no better use of a trumpet internet forum than to provide trumpeters with information and warnings about possible scams.
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take into account it is the weekend, and she may be busy. I've never dealt with her, but she seems to have a large enough footprint she should be legit.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigtrumpet wrote:

Link

She seems to be a pretty cool girl. I say relax and give her some time before you jump on a public forum and accuse her (by name nonetheless) of scamming you.

After watching the YouTube clip.....cool girl?

I dunno, certainly an "interesting" girl.

If my daughter ends up on YouTube lying around in her sweats with a mohawk haircut talking about the fine points of her Bach trumpet--and then demonstrating a musical style which involves wiggling your fingers and blatting that sounds like an 8th grader warming up, I believe I'd be planning an intervention.
craigtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:

If my daughter ends up on YouTube lying around in her sweats with a mohawk haircut talking about the fine points of her Bach trumpet--and then demonstrating a musical style which involves wiggling your fingers and blatting that sounds like an 8th grader warming up, I believe I'd be planning an intervention.

...Classy Mark, and not the least bit judgmental.
Robson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the replies!

Just to clarify I'm not accusing her. I'm just afraid of being scammed, but I'm not saying that she did that to me. I have no idea why she is not answering, but it can be just a big misunderstood...

I just trying to find someone that know her personally...someone that could talk to her personally for me. Maybe even a neighbor...who knows, the forum is so big...

I didn't receive a reply until now, but it seems that she is a real person and honest! She gave me a phone number that always reach the mail box, but it must be her real phone number because I can listen her message on the mail box "You reached Jaimie...". Even her e-mail is her real name.

Is there anybody that lives in Chicago area and knows her personally?

Thank you very much!

"For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?"
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigtrumpet wrote:
markp wrote:

...Classy Mark, and not the least bit judgmental.

Sorry if I offended you Craig. Sometimes I forget how indoctrinated into political correctness a lot of you younger cats are. But hey, I'm the father of a 14-year-old daughter. I worry about stuff like that.

Maybe someday you'll understand.
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robson,

What amount of time are we talking about here? When did you order?
How much time has elapsed between ordering to allow for packaging, shipping, customs. etc.

The girl may be performing away from home, visiting friends, vacation, or simply busy. Good that you used a credit card for the transaction as it gives you recourse if something is amiss which I doubt. Scammers aren't likely to give you a trail as Jaimie has. Make sure you find out the time limit that the credit card company will offer its protection as to the sale?

Did the plan you two discussed indicate that you would receive an email when the horn was shipped? Maybe it hasn't been shipped yet, but will be soon.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited by lmf on Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Robson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lmf wrote:
robeson,

How much time has elapsed between ordering to allow for packaging, shipping, customs. etc.

The girl may be performing away from home, visiting friends, vacation, or simply busy. Good that you used a credit card for the transaction as it gives you recourse if something is amiss which I doubt. Scammers aren't likely to give you a trail as Jaimie has. Make sure you find out the time limit that the credit card company will offer its protection as to the sale?

Did the plan you two discussed indicate that you would receive an email when the horn was shipped? Maybe it hasn't been shipped yet, but will be soon.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

That's it!

First I paid for the horn and when it cleared in her account she had it packed and she checked the price of the shipping. I did another payment covering the shipping and the PayPal fees. She promised to ship the horn and send me the track&trace number as soon as the last payment clears in her account.

I believe she received the money on Friday so I sent her an e-mail asking if she had received the money. I had not answer..
Saturday I sent her another e-mail asking about the payment and the shipping. I had not answer either...
I sent her another e-mail today and I still didn't receive an answer.

She never took more than 24 hours to answer my e-mails and now 3 days with no answer...I just think it's very very strange!

ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If payment cleared on Friday and your're worried on Sunday...that might be a little bit soon, especially with a performing artist.

It would probably reasonable to hear from her within a week...but give a little slack for the weekend.

If you're paying credit card with paypal you should have two layers of protection.

If she's shipping USPS rememeber the post office has very poor on-line tracking (if at all) so even though it might SAY that the package hasn't entered the system, it could be already sitting on your door step.
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if she received the funds some time on Friday it doesn't mean she has nothing else to do. Could have an out-of-town gig or any number of other demands. For some it's not always easy or even possible to ship over the weekend. Give it a little time.
craigtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
Sorry if I offended you Craig. Sometimes I forget how indoctrinated into political correctness a lot of you younger cats are. But hey, I'm the father of a 14-year-old daughter. I worry about stuff like that.

No worries Mark, actually I think I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning anyways. I apologize for being a bit harsh in my response.
Craig
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
lmf wrote:
robeson,

Best wishes,

Lloyd

That's it!

First I paid for the horn and when it cleared in her account she had it packed and she checked the price of the shipping. I did another payment covering the shipping and the PayPal fees. She promised to ship the horn and send me the track&trace number as soon as the last payment clears in her account.

I believe she received the money on Friday so I sent her an e-mail asking if she had received the money. I had not answer..
Saturday I sent her another e-mail asking about the payment and the shipping. I had not answer either...
I sent her another e-mail today and I still didn't receive an answer.

She never took more than 24 hours to answer my e-mails and now 3 days with no answer...I just think it's very very strange!

Oh Heavens!!
From your earlier post it would have seemed that many weeks had passed (given your 49 emails, etc.). But to know that only 3 days have passed, man, you are way over-reacting! This is surely not a scam. I know her brother and I have met Jamie in person as well. She is a solid citizen, and not about to scam you. As I said before, you need to allow a reasonable amount of time to pass before getting on this site and seeking help for someone to speak to her personally. Surely, you must understand that a reasonable amount of time is a week to ten days. And since you are an international sale, allow another week or so. That's a reasonable time. Your response and over-reaction has led to a lot of folks here giving you advice on how to cancel the sale and to avoid getting scammed, etc. With all due respect, as I am sure you are a very good guy, you need to adjust your expectations. All of this stir has been for nothing more than an over-anxious buyer.
tastoll
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have dealt with her before, she's reliable and not a scammer, her father lives here in Columbus, I'll reach out to him and see what's up...not ALL folks live by their computer 24-7...right?
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tastoll wrote:
I have dealt with her before, she's reliable and not a scammer, her father lives here in Columbus, I'll reach out to him and see what's up...not ALL folks live by their computer 24-7...right?

Todd, I agree with you that she's not a scammer. This person is just a bit too over anxious. I'd not reach out for her dad, and even though I will see her brother this afternoon, I'm not going to mention it, because the original poster is just way out of line on this one. Roy
andybharms
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I hope not.

It isn't about political correctness. The finest artists in the world are also some of its most diverse people. As strange as she might look to you, you wouldn't have to read too far into the biographies of some of our favorite trumpet players to find things more "interesting" than sweats and a mohawk. If she has a degree she is probably 20-something, old enough to dress herself in the morning.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: