• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DID I DO THIS RESTORATION RIGHT?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zzapszzaj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:06 pm    Post subject: DID I DO THIS RESTORATION RIGHT? Reply with quote

Hello everyone, I have news of a project I would like to share with you all. I have recently acquired a vintage Martin Committee trumpet from a local sale. The horn was is mint condition and 100 percent of the old lacquer was intact. I however did not like the old finish as I wanted the horn to look shiny so I had advice from the internet to buy a simple copper scotch brite pad and buff off the old lacquer starting from the bell to the end of the trumpet, the results were great but it did take a long time.
I also did not like the bell engraving on the bell as I wanted the bell to be plain without any stamping so I did my best to "thin out" remove the bell engraving.
The trumpet is now very shiny and I believe it can sell for much more now that it is bright looking.

Would would you all rate my restoration? Please let me hear your opinions.

For all of you interested in buying the horn, the serial is 130xxx and the valve tubing stampings read 1,2 and 3 with an additional "3" above the number 2.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: DID I DO THIS RESTORATION RIGHT? Reply with quote

The post above looks a lot like trolling, particularly when considered in context of OP's two other posts.

To answer OP, the resale value has not been lost - it migrated into the steel wool that got the lacquer and brass dust from the horn. If you can move it back, horn will be just as you got it. Try.

Last edited by etc-etc on Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
zzapszzaj

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand, I see a lot of restored trumpets on auction sites that sell for a lot more than a old nasty trumpet. I thought the shiner the more pricier looking, was I wrong?

I personally think the restoration looks nice.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzapszzaj wrote:
I don't understand, I see a lot of restored trumpets on auction sites that sell for a lot more than a old nasty trumpet. I thought the shiner the more pricier looking, was I wrong?

You may be quite right in your way, but collectors look at this differently. The more original a valued item is, the higher the resale value.

To properly restore a Committee, usually it is better to pay for the work of pro repairers, e.g., Mark Metzler.

I am not saying no one would buy the horn - it would appeal to a different crowd.
Evinerate
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like all you did was take the finish off the horn, I don't think that qualifies as a "restoration".

You also removed a lot of metal from the bell, that will definitely kill it for collectors.

Last edited by Evinerate on Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzapszzaj wrote:

The issue is that this is not a restoration. If it were, there are a ton of middle schoolers who qualify as restoration experts because they destroyed a horn’s value doing what you did.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't this post a week too late?? Well I'll give you 12 grand for it, unless the valves are included, in which case I'll throw in another 2 grand if they're good and rusty!!
JetJaguar
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was about to make a post like this on April 1. I was going to pose as a youngster asking how to get the cheesy display ring off the bell of his grandpa's trumpet, and how much it would cost to get the offset middle valve back in line with the first and third. I thought the better of it and didn't.
1938 Martin Handcraft Imperial #2 bore, 38 bell
Connstellation 7B-N mouthpiece

I'm looking for a Connstellation 5C-N or 5B-N mouthpiece

www.jazzscales.org

The Coady Strengthening Exercises: http://coady.coolwarm.com
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: DID I DO THIS RESTORATION RIGHT? Reply with quote

zzapszzaj wrote:
Hello everyone, I have news of a project I would like to share with you all. I have recently acquired a vintage Martin Committee trumpet from a local sale. The horn was is mint condition and 100 percent of the old lacquer was intact. I however did not like the old finish as I wanted the horn to look shiny so I had advice from the internet to buy a simple copper scotch brite pad and buff off the old lacquer starting from the bell to the end of the trumpet, the results were great but it did take a long time.
I also did not like the bell engraving on the bell as I wanted the bell to be plain without any stamping so I did my best to "thin out" remove the bell engraving.
The trumpet is now very shiny and I believe it can sell for much more now that it is bright looking.

Would would you all rate my restoration? Please let me hear your opinions.

For all of you interested in buying the horn, the serial is 130xxx and the valve tubing stampings read 1,2 and 3 with an additional "3" above the number 2.

And with just one more post, the horn can actually be listed for sale. Too bad, assuming the original posting is legit, that a vintage large bore Martin Committee has been desecrated. I am hoping that the original posting is a gag.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrhappy wrote:
Isn't this post a week too late?? Well I'll give you 12 grand for it, unless the valves are included, in which case I'll throw in another 2 grand if they're good and rusty!!

Why don’t you send the money to me. Although perhaps just 1 grand since I am only a littlerusty.
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:

Why don’t you send the money to me. Although perhaps just 1 grand since I am only a littlerusty.

Haha... do you accept PayPal??
mrhappy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jetjaguar wrote:
how much it would cost to get the offset middle valve back in line with the first and third.

I think if you put the valve block in a large vice and just slowly keep tightening... eventually they will line right up! I did it on a couple of my horns and it worked great!!
zzapszzaj

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seriously intend to list this trumpet, no this thread is not a gag. I did a personal brushed finish on the trumpet which I've seen a lot of on eBay lately and I had the impression that a scotch brite pad was all I needed to get that type of finish. I don't think I need to bring it to a trumpet craftsman when I can do the work myself. I'll post some more pictures of the horn after the work is finished up on eBay later this week.

If this won't appeal to collectors, how much do you all think I should aim to list the trumpet for when it is finished?
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You removed the part that said "Martin Committee"?
Now it's a generic-looking raw brass horn that probably plays OK?
$75.00
adagiotrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zzapszzaj wrote:
I seriously intend to list this trumpet, no this thread is not a gag. I did a personal brushed finish on the trumpet which I've seen a lot of on eBay lately and I had the impression that a scotch brite pad was all I needed to get that type of finish. I don't think I need to bring it to a trumpet craftsman when I can do the work myself. I'll post some more pictures of the horn after the work is finished up on eBay later this week.

If this won't appeal to collectors, how much do you all think I should aim to list the trumpet for when it is finished?

Of course, some might now question whether the horn actually has a Martin Committee bell.
Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either a troll or an idiot. Maybe even an idiot troll.
mm55
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

$75? It might be worth that much if it came with band-director-approved white gloves. A fresh coat of krylon da-glo orange might bring it up to $76.
'42 Selmer US
'90 Yamaha YTR6450S(C)
'12 Eastman ETR-540S (D/Eb)
'10 Carol CPT-300LR pkt
'89 Yamaha YCR2330S crnt
'13 CarolBrass CFL-6200-GSS-BG flg
fredo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The horn was is mint condition and 100 percent of the old lacquer was intact

+ scotch brite

i like more starting from the bell to the end of the trumpet

i do not know where is "the end of the trumpet"

i do not find the horn "now very shiny"

if its not a troll, its too much for my health. (not speaking of the engraving)
pinstriper
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed Kennedy wrote:
Either a troll or an idiot. Maybe even an idiot troll.

There was a well known troll over on TM went by the name of jazzspazz.

I make no accusations.
'51 Olds Super
'69 Olds Studio
'40 Olds Special Cornet, Military Issued
tptptp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to do a restoration project on my Tesla. The dash is awfully plain, and the car is eerily quiet, so I added a tach and an oil pressure gauge, and the muscle car noise simulator makes it really nice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: