• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Puff Your Cheeks Out

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bert
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

butxifxnot wrote:

I've never personally known a trumpet player to benefit from playing with puffed cheeks.

That is because you never met me, of course

People that visit this forum might know me as a BE advocate, but the benefits of the cheek puff were installed on me many years before the BE book came out.
When I was 22 and a fourth year conservatory student, my embouchure was totally wrecked. I was clenching my teeth and sounding very bad and I had no way to get rid of this, until my new teacher told me to blow my cheeks and bring them back in, and again blow them and back in again. Within a week my teeth were apart, my tone opened up and a lot of my problems were over, a slight cheek puff stayed.

Quote:
And I'd certainly never recommend it to a beginner

I've done it several times, and I don't regret it, and I know I will do it everytime if I see that somebody will benefit from it. Most of the time I don't care. A cheek puff can enable the lip muscles to centre easier (dmb's son story!), and eventually it settles into a nice embouchure.
It does more harm to prevent someone from puffing, than the other way around, I am totally with Jeff here.

Bert
differencetone

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While reading a Jon Hassell interview, I got to the bottom of this. He imagines that he is playing a conch shell. The official way to play conch is to puff your cheeks out.

Jon Hassell - "Trumpet's a lonely instrument. It's one voice. When I realised I could have a replica of the trumpet playing with me, then it was as though instead of drawing the curves with one pencil I could hold a handful of pencils and draw the curves. In trying to make these curves in raga, a very breathy, vocal-type sound resulted. Basically, it's playing the mouthpiece."

Here's a video of a guy explaining conch shell playing:

Link

I was able to get that sound today for the first time.
LFRoberts5
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I could play like this guy....I would puff my cheeks out till the cows came home....

James Morrison
craigtrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

1950/60's Couesnon Monopole Flugel
Cunuckle Head
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

differencetone wrote:
While reading a Jon Hassell interview, I got to the bottom of this. He imagines that he is playing a conch shell. The official way to play conch is to puff your cheeks out.

The official way to play a conch?????

I don't think Steve Turre does a lot of puffing here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKcZe6wu4Yk&feature=related
differencetone

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like puffing to me, just not all the way, also he is trying to make it sound like a brass instrument.
brianfrood

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Puff Your Cheeks Out Reply with quote

Ghitalla taught us how to let air into the cheeks to help open up and liven the sound. I could not do it at first without the pitch dropping and wasn't sure I wanted to. After a while I could, heard the improvement and became a believer. For me I can play with less tension and a more centered and fuller sound. About 20 years ago Tim Morrison showed me how he lets the upper lip fill up with air. Again, I had great difficulty doing it. After a while I could and have been converted. I use both methods daily and with my students.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: