• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Help! I think I was scammed!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLawTalkingGuy wrote:
Robson wrote:
I'm 100% sure that the real Jaimie Branch would never do this kind of thing, but I'm not 100% convinced that I'm dealing with the real Jaimie Branch. It could be just someone pretending to be her, right?

This was exactly my point - it really doesn't matter a damn whether the real Jaimie Branch is nice or not, or whatever - if Robson here wasn't dealing with the "real" Jaimie Branch.

Robson wrote:
I'm very sorry if someone was offended by my posts. I'm not trying to cause any problem to anybody, I'm just very anxious and inexperienced....

Nothing to apologize for, as far as I'm concerned. You asked for help on a forum filled with knowledgeable people, and received mostly responses which divided between "She's not a scammer" to "she might be a scammer" etc., without apparently considering that you might be dealing with an impostor.

That's frightening

A real professional would never do that, but I'm not sure I'm dealing with her!

I beg you guys that know her, answer my question: Did she have a York & Sons cornet from the turn-of-the-century?

1 Corinthians 14:8 (KJV)
"For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?"
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would anyone who knows Jaime personally please send Robson her correct contact info via PM? For starters, let's make certain he is actually dealing with HER and not a craigslist impostor.

It's the weekend. She couldn't have shipped it today if she wanted to. Give her a little time to complete the transaction.

And Robson...It's two in the morning in Sao Paolo. Make like everyone else and go out to dinner.

You paid by credit card so you should be covered regardless of what the morning brings. Relax.
johnsboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

". . . a parent has every good reason to worry about their children in today's convoluted, no-value, no-morals world they are growing up in."

Especially since it's a "convoluted, no-value, no-morals world" these parents have created and expect these kids to grow up in. Mark was judgemental (and based on almost no info about this young woman) and you jumped on his ill-informed band wagon. As for "politically correct" as an epithet (which is what the term has become for some self-styled "conservative" thinkers) . . . perhaps we should all try to be a little more politically correct instead of being so defensive when someone points out our boorishness. Based on what you know about this young woman, from the limited internet research you've done, you know very little, except that she has earned a degree from a presitgious institution so she's entitled to a little respect (maybe a lot).
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnsboy wrote:
". . . a parent has every good reason to worry about their children in today's convoluted, no-value, no-morals world they are growing up in."

Especially since it's a "convoluted, no-value, no-morals world" these parents have created and expect these kids to grow up in. Mark was judgemental (and based on almost no info about this young woman) and you jumped on his ill-informed band wagon. As for "politically correct" as an epithet (which is what the term has become for some self-styled "conservative" thinkers) . . . perhaps we should all try to be a little more politically correct instead of being so defensive when someone points out our boorishness. Based on what you know about this young woman, from the limited internet research you've done, you know very little, except that she has earned a degree from a presitgious institution so she's entitled to a little respect (maybe a lot).

Quite possibly, but the performance that was posted on this public forum is not worthy of respect, in my opinion.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
johnsboy wrote:

Quite possibly, but the performance that was posted on this public forum is not worthy of respect, in my opinion.

The performance was not posted by the performer, it was foisted upon us by another party. Just because we find fault with a video, does that entitle us to bad-mouth the performer?

Comments in bad taste reveal much about the character of the commentor, and little about the subject of the comment. It is so much easier to babble unkindly than it is to take responsibility for the thoughtlessness with which we unleash it.

veery
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When one posts on YouTube, it does appear to bring either praise or criticism. I would think that the artist would realize that when posting on YouTube. It is unfortunate that the artist's YouTube was posted here in regards to Robson's posting. The artist knows that YouTube is a public site for others to see and to share as they do and as was done here. As the YouTube video is already posted (before it came to this TH thread) the artist will receive praise or criticism for her technique, style, tone and/or musicianship?

As far as appearance goes musicians seem to have their own style which is liked by some and disliked by others. Spiked hair truly doesn't bother me 'cause at my age "spiked hair" would look ridiculous on me. I envy those who have enough hair to spike.

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited by lmf on Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:14 am; edited 2 times in total
markp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
markp wrote:
johnsboy wrote:

The performance was not posted by the performer, it was foisted upon us by another party. Just because we find fault with a video, does that entitle us to bad-mouth the performer?

Comments in bad taste reveal much about the character of the commentor, and little about the subject of the comment. It is so much easier to babble unkindly than it is to take responsibility for the thoughtlessness with which we unleash it.

veery

I remain defiant.

When Pararotti began to crack notes he was hooted and booed. When Frank Sinatra began to forget the words people didn't pretend not to notice. Hell, even President Truman's daughter was slammed by critics.

And you're telling me I can't say a performance is horrible and wretched--when it is?

Is this a music site or a mutual admiration site?

Did I suggest that she be prevented from performing? No. Did I try to organize a boycott against her "music?" No.

I can and have survived criticism of my own playing. I found it to be valuable. When I attended North Texas not a day went by that someone didn't snicker cruelly about another player's effort. You have to take it like a man and come out swinging next time.

We're turning into a buch of wussies around here.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be defiant! (you play the trumpet...) It doesn't matter. Of course we criticize others who expose themselves publicly. That is the nature of artisitic endeavor and if we are to participate we need to cultivate a thick skin. IN THE PROPER CONTEXT!

It isn't about who is a wuss and who ain't. If you are impeccable, others don't threaten your security. The performer in question did not post her video here. The OP questioned the veracity of an internet deal with her, and someone else chose to search for and post the video. If the performance and image it creates are not in her own best interest, it still has absolutely nothing to do with the OP's query, and the video and any comments related to it (mine included!) are outside the scope of the thread.

Had she posted it herself in the Performers Forum, no one would object to your roundly criticizing her for it. She didn't and, IMO, you shouldn't.

veery
swthiel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

markp wrote:
Did I suggest that she be prevented from performing? No.

Arguably you did when you said (emphasis added):
Quote:
If my daughter ends up on YouTube lying around in her sweats with a mohawk haircut talking about the fine points of her Bach trumpet--and then demonstrating a musical style which involves wiggling your fingers and blatting that sounds like an 8th grader warming up, I believe I'd be planning an intervention.

This is quite different from you saying, for example, that you disliked both her look and her music ... neither of which are relevant to the original poster's question.
johnsboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

". . . in my opinion."

Bingo. Let me venture a guess you don't like Picasso and Miles Davis is, in your view, grossly over-rated. It's okay to not appreciate things which are not "mainstream". It's even okay to criticize those things and offer your opinion to that effect. It's irritating as hell when you criticize things you obviously haven't even tried to understand, and you are quite proud of - no, you glory in - your narrow-mindedness. Everything is compounded when you belittle what you don't understand and then enlist the agreement of others (who also haven't bothered to try to understand).
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Had she posted it herself in the Performers Forum, no one would object to your roundly criticizing her for it. She didn't and, IMO, you shouldn't.

Stacey Hedger did not post her video here nor give us permission to comment upon it but comment upon it we did. And the entire world commented upon it. With a vengeance!!!

Anything you post on the internet - here, youTube, Facebook, MySpace, etc. is pretty much free game for comments.

All this chatter about a video doesn't have much to do with the original post, though.

-- Joe
Robson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:10 pm    Post subject: Problem solved (aka: Help! I think I was scammed!) Reply with quote

She just replied!

She told me that it took sometime to reply because she have been ill. She also said that she shipped the horn on Saturday, but she didn't give me the track and trace number yet.

I feel much better now. Thank you for the help and sorry for my faults.

Just checking: I believe a scammer (someone pretending to be her) would never reply after receiving the money, right?

P.S. Please remember it's the very first time I buy something from an individual.

P.S. 2 Do you have any tips to shop a little bit safer?

"For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?"
BedfordTrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use Escrow.com (https://www.escrow.com/index.asp) for transactions in the future. Of course, you and the seller must agree to this before hand. Plus, there are fees involved.

I bought a flugelhorn last year, and the seller asked that we use Escrow.com. I was a little wary of the extra expense (it added $25 to the cost for me, if I remember), but in hindsight, we were both protected.

Cheers,

Paul
holeypants
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BedfordTrumpeter wrote:
You could use Escrow.com (https://www.escrow.com/index.asp) for transactions in the future. Of course, you and the seller must agree to this before hand. Plus, there are fees involved.

I bought a flugelhorn last year, and the seller asked that we use Escrow.com. I was a little wary of the extra expense (it added $25 to the cost for me, if I remember), but in hindsight, we were both protected.

Cheers,

Paul

Paul's right on. An escrow service (like escrow.com) protects both the buyer and the seller.
david mickley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robison - you were right to use a credit card. it is understandable that you got concerned when you did not get any reply but when you buy anything over the internet it takes patience. I have bought things on ebay and in the marketplace and on TM and the person had gone on vacation and it was over a week before I heard anything. I usually try to buy my trumpet related things from here or TM. These two communities are usually pretty safe. Good luck and enjoy your horn when it arrives.
roynj
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem solved (aka: Help! I think I was scammed!) Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
She just replied!

She told me that it took sometime to reply because she have been ill. She also said that she shipped the horn on Saturday, but she didn't give me the track and trace number yet.

I feel much better now. Thank you for the help and sorry for my faults.

Just checking: I believe a scammer (someone pretending to be her) would never reply after receiving the money, right?

P.S. Please remember it's the very first time I buy something from an individual.

P.S. 2 Do you have any tips to shop a little bit safer?

I am very pleased that this worked out for you. Frankly, I am surprised that she was able to ship the item on Saturday. That is quite commendable, and I am proud of her for that. It was above and beyond, especially since she was ill.
Robson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Problem solved (aka: Help! I think I was scammed!) Reply with quote

Robson wrote:

Just to check if I'm really dealing with her...

lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robeson,

You should give this a rest.

Do you have another instrument to practice while awaiting your purchase? If not, do you play computet games or something to keep your mind occupied?

Obessing 'til your purchase i delivered to you ought to be rechanneled into doing something else more constructive. The package leaving Chicago to Brazil make take some time.

Best wishes,

Lloyd
damo_4701
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW...I must have the patients of a saint...
I had to wait 3 months for a horn to come from the States once.
It ended up that Ozzie customs had it and forgot theyhad it.......
53' LA Olds Ambassador cornet
64' Conn 22B victor
eclectic tastes
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

damo_4701 wrote:
It ended up that Ozzie customs had it and forgot theyhad it.......

Sounds like justification enough to attack the Kiwis to me.
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: