• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Improving tone quality with software

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Audi-Graph

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:34 pm    Post subject: Improving tone quality with software Reply with quote

Hi guys. I've lurked around the boards for a while but decided to let you know about a computer program I made to help people study and improve their tone quality (timbre).

Basically, the software shows onscreen all the unique overtone and harmonic frequencies generated when you play. You can instantly see how changes to your embouchure, airstream, pressure, etc impact the picture/model of your sound. It solves that challenge of being able to visualize your sound, and it also helps teachers explain what the students are actually playing.

Even better, when you play you have a unique pattern and combination. But when a professional plays, their pattern/combination is much different. You can use the software to learn to match the professional example, by modifying your techniques until your patterns match.

The students I've worked with using the software have learned to produce professional sounds within a few weeks of practicing with the software. Please take a look at the site... I have some videos detailing it more.

www.audi-graph.com
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good effort, makes sense. Harmonics spectrum of pro players' long tones and scales overlaid with the harmonics spectrum of your own long tones. Learn by adjusting the visual part.
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Mac, huh?
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting and potentially very valuable!

However, it relies on you shaping your natural sound to that of the "pro" player that has been recorded and prepared. So, essentially, the student has his sound 'cloned' to that of the pro recording. This ultimately lowers, if not destroys, much of the value of this device.

Additionally, there is very likely to be a cultural deficit. Were the list of pro players to include Maurice Murphy or Richard Marshal then I would have already ordered!
Craig Swartz
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A kid from China that was in my college studio a couple of semesters would bring his laptop to lessons and occasionally record me, then himself. I'm not certain what app he was using (PC, not Mac) but it showed a visual above and below a center or median which would fill both directions with the volume and tone. He always pointed out to me the broader spectrum of my sound on the same thing as compared with his. I'd almost forgotten about it. Maybe someone can post what he might have been using. I really liked that kid, it was just before China cut a lot of the 'net from their people. He would always laugh when someone would talk about what downloads cost here and reply: "Evely ting flee on the inellnet in China!" Not sure about now. I always hope he remained safe when he returned.
Bob Stevenson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig,....

Could that software have been called something like 'Wavlab' or 'Wavelab'?

When I had my first PC at home about 12 years back it came with a lot of software ready installed and one of the progs was, I think, something like 'Wavelab lite'. It was remerkably like that which you have described but being very new to computers at the time i could never get into it although it looked tantalisingly useful to a musician.
Audi-Graph

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
it showed a visual above and below a center or median which would fill both directions with the volume and tone. He always pointed out to me the broader spectrum of my sound on the same thing as compared with his.

I don't know what he was using, but when I was recording videos, I was using audacity (on mac). There's a horizontal median reference line and when you play a long note you get a type of big fat solid line, if you zoom out far enough. By reading the data as he must have, you could interpret it as being a broadness etc in sound. Audacity is free, but the educational benefits are limited.

What audi-graph shows is the intensity and combination of the harmonics you're playing. It can show you exactly how much brighter or darker a mouthpiece or embouchure change has to your sound, and how it compares to a symphony professional's sound.
Flattergrub
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Stevenson wrote:

Additionally, there is very likely to be a cultural deficit. Were the list of pro players to include Maurice Murphy or Richard Marshal then I would have already ordered!

Yup - No disrespect for the pros that supplied the templates - but having samples of many different top players in many different genres of performance would surely help move this product.

Just think of the names that could be on the list - half of them are probably members here on TH

For me cornet wise - Russell Gray, Richard Marshall, Roger Webster, David Dawes, Guy Touvron, Danial Doyan, etc. OK - I'll even throw in Phillip McCann for good measure. Now "THATS" a spectrum I want to see - Get a lineup like that and I'll take two copies of the software

Last edited by Flattergrub on Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
PiCK Kanstul
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had this question too . i would like to hear/see the trumpet sampled before purchasing. unless it's there and i missed it.
Bob Stevenson wrote:

However, it relies on you shaping your natural sound to that of the "pro" player that has been recorded and prepared. So, essentially, the student has his sound 'cloned' to that of the pro recording. This ultimately lowers, if not destroys, much of the value of this device.

brassjunkie
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmmmm.....couldn't you do the same thing with any software oscilloscope and a microphone? The point of difference for your product would be having a library of sound samples of great players to compare your own sound to.
Besson Sovereign Flugel
www.jazzinspired.blogspot.com
jimh46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:10 pm    Post subject: Improving tone quality with software Reply with quote

brassjunkie wrote:
Mmmmm.....couldn't you do the same thing with any software oscilloscope and a microphone?

No an oscilloscope will not do for this. This is a Spectrum analyzer showing the amplitude of the various harmonics present in the tone together with a template overlay of the tone one is trying to emulate.

I tried this 'bio feedback' technique using a spectrum analyzer and microphone but simply tried to increase the amplitude of the upper harmonics while listening to my tone and looking at the display. I can't say that it did much for me in the way of tone improvement but I believe that such a system with a clearer display of the 'picture' one is aiming at may have merit. I do agree with the other posters, that a larger 'pro' library would be desirable.

Regards
Jim
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be part of a forensic audio comparator ... now all one needs is a link to an international data base of ALL the musical performances so one could be selective as to what and who they wanted to emulate / clone.

Yes, a freeze frame oscilloscope, coupled to an analyzer would produce this imagery, that output to a computer would provide a print-out.

Personnel in forensic audio labs today could possibly discern on what instrument brand a 488hz A and mouthpiece combination was played if such were in their data base. It's publicly known they match speech patterns now.

The downside of such that I perceive is that it could work it's way into the education system and become a standard upon which achievement is marked.

While it might be interesting as a learning device, I personally don't want to sound like anyone else ... I want to do my own interpretation ... just as arrangers modify existing works to create a different SOUND that is unique and their own.
Jim-Wilson
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting. For those of you considering this but wanting some more ideas, look at a couple of threads from a few years ago. A number of folks contributed some very good things (and then there was me muddling the waters). Anyhow, if you're interested, look at the following threads. BTW, on the second page of the "Visualizing Resonance" thread I pasted some e-mail correspondence from Joe Wolfe who is a PhD acoustician/trumpet player from Australia who felt that the idea of "biofeedback" from such a program would not be useful. I'll probably purchase the Audi-Graph program just to evaluate it.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47464&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=visualizing+resonance&start=0

http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=47614&highlight=visualizing+resonance
Jetrang
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent for those who want to work on theyr tone and mimic somebody elses sound...

but i dont want to sound like anybody else and have my own unique sound, dont need the software to tell me when i resonate the best, everyone can do this by using theyr ears.
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disclaimer: I have not had time to review the website thoroughly, just a quick glance. It would be interesting to try the software with my measurement mic.

The idea is intriguing... I think it may be more useful for general guidance than actually trying to match a particular player's tone. E.g., add more highs or lows to your sound, see what happens; vice-versa, change your sound from bright to dark, and observe the spectra.

As for matching specifics, that'd be a challenge... There are a lot of variables both in the playing and the measurement, any one of which (let alone several in combination) could skew the results. For example, time-averaged FFTs don't show the modulation of tonal structure (e.g. amplitude and phase variations of the frequencies in the signal) that is critical to what we hear and perceive. On the measurement side, sampling rate, sample size (and corresponding bin width), weighting, etc. etc. etc. all play a part in what you see vs. what you get.

There are various programs that will generate a spectrum from a mic hooked up to your PC. You wouldn't get the role models, but it could be fun to play around.

Interesting idea - Don
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig Swartz wrote:
No Mac, huh?

There are free apps for Mac and Linux that will do similar functions. Google's your friend.

Kent
jimh46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Improving tone quality with software Reply with quote

It is probably unlikely that one would be able to emulate the sound of the role model.

However, just having the richer harmonics displayed should provide benefit as there is a visual representation of a richer audio spectrum (than one's own) to strive for.

Regards
Jim
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good idea for the deaf.
Audi-Graph

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I didn't anticipate this level of discussion! There's been a great exchange of information! I'm here answer question or concern because I feel this tool can really help. I've found this has drastically turned around my own playing, and I'd love to help others improve their own sounds.

PiCK Kanstul wrote:
i had this question too . i would like to hear/see the trumpet sampled before purchasing. unless it's there and i missed it.

As requested, I uploaded a quick video comparison of two of the 4 trumpet players contained in Audi-Graph (all playing with a classical sound). Audi-Graph does not contain audio recordings of the musicians, only the graphical representation for you to match against. The best way to determine which is a preferred sound is to look into the bio of the musicians, or try to match each and see which you prefer.

Link

Craig Swartz wrote:
No Mac, huh?

I am currently working on a mac version. I have a mac myself, so this is of interest to me. It somewhat works with an emulator, but not straightforward enough for general release. I made it on PC because I'm more familiar with the development environment.

Flattergrub wrote:
having samples of many different top players in many different genres of performance would surely help move this product.

Can do! This started as part of a NASA research project, and I live in Houston, so I recorded a certain type of musician. Any suggestions you may have are greatly appreciated. I record musicians weekly, and more musicians are being included future releases.

Jim-Wilson wrote:
Joe Wolfe who is a PhD acoustician/trumpet player from Australia who felt that the idea of "biofeedback" from such a program would not be useful.

Wolfes website has a wealth of great information, and are a great resource for acoustic details. Audi-Graph is similar, but very different than the tools he's worked with in the past. It provides biofeedback in the same way a tuner helps teach/learn. But instead of addressing just pitch, it displays sound quality.

Jetrang wrote:
but i dont want to sound like anybody else and have my own unique sound

Excellent concern. Finding your unique sound is important as a musician. Audi-Graph is geared towards student musicians seeking to develop a good foundation for a core sound by providing a reference point and something to learn with, before you begin tweaking and customizing your sound.

Audi-Graph doesn't take into account things like vibrato, style, or rhythm, which also helps distinguish the individual musician. But I do have a high school freshman user now replicating a seasoned symphony sound after only a few weeks of using it. And her finding the proper embouchure to match in the lower octaves suddenly expanded her upper range almost immediately.

Don Herman rev2 wrote:
There are a lot of variables both in the playing and the measurement, any one of which could skew the results.

jimh46 wrote:
It is probably unlikely that one would be able to emulate the sound of the role model.

Microphone placement, instrument differences, and room acoustics make it unlikely to perfectly match the role model. But it is extremely precise and can help you develop a good core sound faster than traditional methods, by providing an objective, consistent, and accurate analysis of your sound.

There are a couple more videos online with me playing saxophone demonstrating functionality and the corresponding feedback when adjusting your embouchure.
http://www.audi-graph.com/resources.php
tpter1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2010 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy B wrote:
Good idea for the deaf.

In all seriousness, I second that emotion. What a great way to show those who are hard of hearing the differences between sound types.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Fundamentals All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: