• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

SA Lesson 6 Part Two - Range Dropping

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Playin4Fun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: SA Lesson 6 Part Two - Range Dropping Reply with quote

I'm a comeback player that has been practicing seriously for about 1-1/2 yrs now after 30 yrs off. I've brought my practice time up to 2+ hours of practice per day for the last 6 mos. Started SA about two mos. ago and my range had increased to touching high E's and F's in lesson 5. I've been working on lesson 6 for about two weeks now and my range has dropped a bit and I seem to be forcing with mouthpiece pressure on the top notes. Is this a common problem when running out of air on these notes? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks -JC
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I am misunderstanding you, you are saying you are holding the last note of the Part 2 exercises as long as you have air? If so, STOP. You are only supposed to hold the last note of each Part 2 exercise long enough to make a slight crescendo on the note (about 4 or 5 beats at 120bpm). It is only the last notes of the Pedal note exercises (the Part 1 exercises) in each lesson that are to be held as long as you have air and longer, with an attempted crescendo at the end as you run out of air.

By the way, I remember hearing one of Maynard's players (most likely Stan Mark) using the Part 2 of Lesson 5 and/or Lesson 6 as a warmup before an MF concert in the mid 1970's. I didn't know what it was yet at the time - but it sure sounded cool! Stan studied with Claude and went on to play for Maynard for years.

When you do those Part 2 exercises in Lesson 6, when you get up to the higher ones, take a breath after the third quarter note of each exercise before finishing it. You want to be full of air for the higher notes.

I see you're in Indianapolis. You might want to consider coming to Chicago on a Saturday or Sunday. I could give you a long (2 to 3 hour) private lesson and show you exactly how to practice the CG material. I'd also set up a customized plan tailored to you that would be based on Systematic Approach, but include improvements gathered in the thirty years of experience Claude gained while teaching after he wrote Systematic Approach, and also what my own professional experience has taught me. Send me a Private Message if you're interested.

Best wishes,

John Mohan
http://mattgraves.netfirms.com/john_mohan.htm
Ex LA Studio Musician
16 Year Claude Gordon Student
Playin4Fun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, my approach for part 2 has been all wrong! I have been playing much slower than that and holding to fail. Thanks for the help!
Jeff_Purtle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This page has two examples of people playing Claude's Systematic Approach book while Claude talks and clarifies things. It should also give you a good example of how much rest time to factor into the rests between the exercises.

http://www.purtle.com/jeff_sound.html

Jeff
+1 864-354-3223 iPhone w/ FaceTime
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Claude Gordon All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: