• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Shower rinse adapter for trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Shower rinse adapter for trumpet Reply with quote

Available from Thomann.de under the name: STLZEL INNENREINIGUNGSDSE 590422

The wide end goes onto the shower hose, the narrow end into the trumpet receiver. Imagine what happens if you turn on the water a little too much (slides flying out and so on).

Is there something similar in the North American market?
missmybaby
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquarium cleaning adapters. Any aquarium shop will have them cheap.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone get a Spitball stuck? Avast, mate, that thing looks like trouble.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I want that thing!
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
missmybaby
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep it away from Ron Burgundy...

trumpaholic
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been doing the reverse flush for years. Got some hot water return hose for a washer, screw it on to the laundry tub faucet, and voila, put the rubber hose into the bell using equal hot and cold. I hold the trumpet so that all slides are held, thumb in the third ring, palm over the second slide and little finger in the hook on the first valve. WORKS FOR ME!

Just put the valves down and watch the crud fly out of the leadpipe.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpaholic wrote:
Just put the valves down and watch the crud fly out of the leadpipe.

Tasty!

I have a similar process. I bought the hose to clean out my trombone and baritone, but I sometimes use it for the trumpet, too.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Common high pressure water nozzle normally attached to garden hoses for sweep cleaning of paved surfaces, wooden decks, and siding. Available at better hardware sources in U.S. Be careful in using with musical instruments as the water pressure can be increased as much as a 10x factor vis 35# interior water pressure could become 350# and would require lots of muscle to resist against such ... I can just see your instrument slamming through the dry wall or against the cement or concrete walls of your basement now ... techs and replacement instrument sellers will love this. Shucks, you could also buy a power washer !!! Insurance adjusters would have a May day denying coverage due to self negligence. Too, these may blast out solder connections!

Do it right and have your tech give your instrument an ultrasonic bath annually if not semi annually if you play often.
Billy B
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

missmybaby wrote:
Keep it away from Ron Burgundy...

A little astroglide with that and away we go!
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Put a variable flutter valve and a variable pressure valve controlled by feet and connected to high pressure air hose and you might be able to play those elusive double high notes using such as outside threaded modified mpc. Geez, then not only your neighbor would complain, but the whole town would. What projection .... a fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffff.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think this needs a 3/8' to 1/2" ID pressure relief valve set at a threshold of ca. 1.5 psi (about the pressure of 6' / 1 m high water column), teed-in before the Morse taper. This would save the day if the pressure rises too quickly inside the horn.
trumpet_bob_silver
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it safe to run water through a horn like that?

What adapters do you use if you want to go from a bathroom faucet or tub facuet to a standard garden hose?
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a product that works extremely well and has been discussed here in the forum:

http://www.hornflush.com/

It comes with a mild acid solution that you dilute, pour into the horn, wait and then flush out with the included water nozzle flusher.

The nozzle is a narrow flexible soft plastic tube with an on/ off valve that screws onto your faucet. At the end of the tube are small holes that squirt water at 90 degrees to the walls of the tubing, effectively scouring the insides of the tubing. The plastic tube is long and flexible enough to snake through all but the very tightest bends. Works really well, with or without the acid.
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpet_bob_silver wrote:
Is it safe to run water through a horn like that? What adapters do you use if you want to go from a bathroom faucet or tub facuet to a standard garden hose?

As I written earlier, water under such pressure may not be safe, but water alone as in soaking will not damage a horn.

Take pix of your the faucet, and if you by chance know the brand all the better if you wish to adapt and take to your plumbing parts supplier and they should be able to provide the proper adapter. Faucets are too variable for anyone to tell you online which to use. What is shown is a connectable fitting to the female end of a common garden hose, but it too would need connector adapter with two female receptors to utilize to connect to such a hose or to a laundry tub faucet, but these too are readlly available at most plumbing suppliers, but you may find them in garden supply at Lowe's or Home Depot. Note: your garden hose sprayer nozzle has a female or inside thread connector, and that is the typr of connector you need to use this.
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually reverse-flush from the bell side - a direct connection without a relief valve can result in damage. Interesting link to hornflush.com - thanks!
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone else use a (home) dental WATER PIK? High pressure, could do a reasonable job getting to most of the areas, and put a LOT of gunky stuff into the bath tub.
Ed Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ohiotpt wrote:
Anyone else use a (home) dental WATER PIK? High pressure, could do a reasonable job getting to most of the areas, and put a LOT of gunky stuff into the bath tub.

Would much prefer to dump in toilet as I hate to clean bathtubs.

New step-down conversions to plastic 1/4" sink pipe, but substituting 1/4 more flexible vinyl pipe would snake a horn well and yes there are available in-line turn-off valves for these. Too, you could readily seal end and drill sides for the lateral flush, although I admit the pulsing of a water-pik improves effect ... just that the tank doesn't hold enough water to do a complete instrument cleaning. Ah, but ultrasonics is the optimum method.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: