• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Short shank Conn cornet m.p.'s

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
delano
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very good news that Mark Curry is producing the special cornetshank for the Old Conn cornets.
BTW it is not only the length of the shank that matters but also the taper of the shank. The Curry VC is a fraction longer than the right Conn shank but will wobble in your receiver. The Denis Wick 5B that I sometimes use is definitely shorter than the Conn shank but fits almost perfect in the (my?) receiver. The intonation of the instrument benefits greatly from the right shank but I must admit that the intonation of the Wick is quite good.
But mostly I play my Kanstul made special BB and a W6D cup.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news is that I can use this old mechanism Victor for the parts written in the key of 'La'. Being from Boston, I'm not keen on anything written for 'LA's of any sort. LOL ... However, La = A, and the other guys in the community phil are finding excuses to hand the part off. Ah. My choice: embrace the La or suffer a staff full of spiders.

Well Alex, I'll go with: " cornet - a - piston " for $200, please.

OK Jeff, your answer: 'Un Bal', from "Symphonie fantastique" was modified in the autograph for this 'moderne' brass instrument by this composer.

Sure thing Monsieur Trabec. My response, in the form of a question: 'Am I wimping out, or finding a best fit? Would M. Berlioz accept a period cornet for a period piece?'

In terms of the OP, and fwiw, my particular * 80A is from 1923, and with the LP slides in everywhere, it plays smack-dab on A=440 as a Bb. No wiggle room, even with the correct mpc & gap. That's a function of my chops, the Wicks which are short b/c their design tends them cents flat, and the horn. That is a partial answer, so when Jim Becker returns from NTC, we'll talk tubes & pipe-cutters up to Osmun Music. Meanwhile, the 'La' setting has a normal latitude of pitch adjustment with the parts as described, so sure -- I'll play the 5-##### solo. Thanks, Mister Conn!
stomvi2000

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big question on these new Conn short shank mouthpieces is how do you actually buy one? Mouthpiece Express knows nothing about them and has not been able to find out. I emailed Mark Curry a week ago and no reply. I love his mouthpieces but they are not easy to come by.
jadickson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stomvi2000 wrote:
The big question on these new Conn short shank mouthpieces is how do you actually buy one? Mouthpiece Express knows nothing about them and has not been able to find out. I emailed Mark Curry a week ago and no reply. I love his mouthpieces but they are not easy to come by.

They are brand new so MP Express may not know about them yet. Mark is a busy dude so give it another week.
RNJTrumpet
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stomvi2000 wrote:

If you email them at Mouthpiece express they will contact Mark as well. They did this for me when I wanted a 5TC for my LA Olds cornet. When Mark got back to them, they added the Olds Shank to their drop down menu. They will probalby do the same thing for the Conn.

The special order Olds shank is an extra $30, expect to pay about the same for the Conn and wait about 4 - 6 weeks.

Not sure I'm ready to get yet another TC! This would definitely make the case for screw tops and different shank backbores (standard, Olds, Conn). I'm sure Mark can do it, but I already have 2 out of 3...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: