• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Walt Johnson's "Double High C in Ten Minutes"

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don Herman rev2
'Chicago School' Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walt is a great guy and great player. There are roughly a bazillion threads about this book; try using Google search and restrict to this site.
Mikebebop

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And ten minutes later, it's gone.
groovinhigher
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikebebop wrote:
And ten minutes later, it's gone.

For some folks that is true, but it is also true Walt has helped a lot of folks develop that register. Even when he first shows it to people, it is something that does not work for everyone, and at first like anyone developing their high chops starts off small, but with this setting, the right work and time, it has been successful and lasting for some great players, including Walt.

Walt showed this to me in 1978 and I very happily use it to this day. Doesn't work for everyone, but it sure does for me and some other guys I know do it well also. Nick Drozdoff has a cool video talking about it too.
www.richwetzel.com
www.facebook.com/rich.wetzel
gospeljohn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this book is really opening up lots of new things to try.I love its short, simple yet profound lay-out.Playing the ballad best i can plus jamming round the changes is awesome !
I,ve just seen a new book called " Trumpet Synthesis"which has some Woody Shaw exercises in it etc over at Aebersolds.Looks pretty useful...
gospeljohn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-pGUCEwyvY

LOL !!!!
groovinhigher
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gospeljohn wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-pGUCEwyvY

LOL !!!!

LMAO!!!

Being a student of and a long time friend of Walt's, I laughed my ass off at this, she's a great kid and funny sense of humor, but it does and has worked for a lot of folks including me and you can find a cool video also on this technique from Nick Drozdoff.

I am going to email this to Walt, he'll get a real kick out of it, she's a good kid and funny too.

This is just a technique of many, you find what works for you. This works for me and has for Walt all his life, truly a nice guy and monster player. He played lead with Frank Sinatra, Elvis Presley, did countless movie and TV shows, played Cat Anderson type stuff with Louis Bellson and Lionel Hampton and did the fourth CHASE album called Watch Closely Now, and other projects since then, and still goes out playing lead with Frank Sinatra, Jr regularly.
www.richwetzel.com
www.facebook.com/rich.wetzel
gospeljohn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no disrespect intended!
just a funny gal !!!

Hey if people buy the book and actually hear Walt play his ballad.....
I,m blown away.Its a great little package that is helping my playing a heck of a lot.I saw the Drozdoff vid too.He,s got some great things going too.
I think my embouchure is already in high gear all the time,just the way i buzz etc has my bottom lip curled in a lot.Would simply moving my bottom jaw up more be an ok thing to try?
It feels so stuffy when i do,i can,t blow much that way.
Would this technique be harder on a small bore 22B that i use right now?
Man,i just want to play that written double D at the end of the song!!!!
Lboretrumpets
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the 'roll in' technique... I didn't get double high C. I got the F above. And then bent it up to G#-ish... Now there is a pack of dogs outside my house....
butxifxnot
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got this book.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm...
tk1031
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started reading this thread about a week ago. I started watching youtube and trying some of the stuff I saw. Ive been able to nail the double "C" all day long today, quiet but there, and in tune. Today, I played a chromatic scale from the double "C" to the G above that. No pressure, not super loud, but very very very in tune, and solid as a rock.

I'm going to order the book, and see if I can learn something else. I may not need that range (it's cool to have on a Big Band gig) but I play a lot of piccolo, and it would be nice not to feel like I ran a marathon at the end. A friend tol me that one should have to work hard for the "C" above the staff. I told him that is not true. Play, relax, have fun... but if you have to work hard for the C above the staff... don't play it: it will wear you out. I don't see this method aS a cheat, only a way to make it easier to last longer at the higher range.
dlca222

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great method!
Nuck81
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this thread. The "high gear" videos really helped me visualize and interpret better the "roll-in" concept I've been trying in BE the past weeks.

It's been like seeing the light at the end of the tunnel the past hour....
butxifxnot
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dlca222 wrote:
This is a great method!

Five posts.

So how do you work on putting a larger amount of air through this chop setting? The book is extremely brief. I mean, I've noted a marked improvement by the little I've implemented. But I feel like I've barely scratched the surface of how to apply this to loud playing.
tk1031
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just starting quiet and working my way around the new set-up. It is getting louder, and easier to control every day I do it. I am using long tones, and basic tongueing (quarter notes after the whole note, and then eighth notes). As i move around in that register, I relax... I forget that hitting that note is so "hard" and the volume increases.

Could be practice, could be all in my head... but it is getting louder, I am taking my time.... and it is cool cool cool cool.

PS: For Big Band, Jazz Band stuff... this is a special effect, and I love it. But I also play piccolo trumpet, and am experimenting with using this set-up there. Increased stamina, better intonation.... Im in!
gospeljohn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi again!
well i got my first double C,s today.Playing along with Maynard a ballad from the Ballad album.
I added The Real Cat Anderson Method to my warm up,thats helped a lot!(on my 3rd week)
i also use Callet double pedals,Alan Wise,s new book,"Wise Words",also David Hickmann,s "Lip Bends and Slurs"and old stuff i don,t even know who wrote them!Oh and Arban natch.
Anyway,i took onboard from re-reading this thread,the sliding bottom lip under trick,and it worked.
My top G is getting fat now,and A flat A are suddenly getting easier.
Boom,i hit the B flat and trilled up to the C .Then i hit several of them clean.
As Walt says the tone is thin,but its normal.The chops will get used to it.
So,not Ten minutes,but much less than ten months!!
Actually thats how long i,ve been playing again ;a re-start from 2003.
I couldn,t believe it for a few seconds.Now for that huge double D in the ballad track on the cd that comes with the book.Wicked!!!!!
I use a Conn 22B that makes life tough,i got a better sound more range yesterday on my students Yammie!
Can,t wait,but got to until April for MF Horn ST308S to get here.I use a Shilke 6A4a.
Wonder what i can do tomorrow ?!!

Highly satisfied customer.

gospeljohn.(MF HORN)
nyctrumpeter
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Double C in ten minutes? Reply with quote

John Mohan wrote:
silverhorn wrote:
I have studied various methods from the standards like Arbans, Clarke's Technical Studies and Colin's Advanced Lip Flexibilities, to the more unconventional methods like TCE/MSC, BE, Claude Gordon's Systematic Approach, Louis Maggio, John Lynch, etc.

Claude Gordon's "Systematic Approach", does not fall into an "unconventional" method in my opinion. Used as its instructions and assignments direct, the player will be doing a very well organised daily routine that includes range-building arpeggio type exercises going way down and going way up, and a well-rounded collection of exercise material from the most well-known standard trumpet method books, including Clarke's "Technical Studies for the Cornet", Walter Smith's "Lip Flexibility on the Cornet or Trumpet", Saint-Jacome's "Grand Method for Trumpet or Cornet", Charles Colin's "Lip Flexibilities for Trumpet", Arban's Celebrated Method, and Clarke's "Characteristic Studies for the Cornet". The only thing "unconventional" about Claude's "Systematic Approach" is the fact that it is such a well organised, systematic method.

Of course, the way the typical high-note-wanna-be player uses it, just doing the exercises in the book, and ignoring the core of material assgned from other books, than one could say it is unconventional. And wasted.

Sincerely,

John Mohan

CG's method is something I unfortunatly know nothing about. I wish I could say I do but it's not so for me. I wish I did and could apply its teaching to improve my playing.
butxifxnot
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A survey-type question.
Walt Johnson's book kind of relies on the assumption that there is a trick to playing in the double range. Is there?

The closest I've gotten is doing the roll-in like described in the book and then doing the little squeakies that Nick Drozdoff demonstrates in his hi gear/lo gear video. It's yet to work if I'm fully warm-up. Granted, I haven't had a ton of time to devote to it since trying it out.
gospeljohn
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it will be a case of slowly getting used to the hi-gear set,then being patient and being accurate first,with volume increasing over a few weeks.
Any kind of overblowing won,t do it ,as is the case of course with your normal set in the middle register.
I would also guess that using the exercises will produce different sensations,results for us.
I like to try it as a combo of playalong 20 seconds,then rest 20,then an exercise ,say repeating top F on the Hi set,then sliding up or tonguing to A,Aflat,B,BFlat,keep trying to feel the slots until i can nail the double C.
Then rest again.Plenty to experiment with.Just being willing to do different things and patience for 3 weeks is a good way to go.Cat,s book says to do your usual routine after his warm-up.I kinda mix mine into use after the 20 minutes of G ,and try to play a lovely ballad with lots of lip bends and romantic tones.Then stick it up an octave ,like MF said and play again the best u can.I find this cool,but tiring.I,m 2 years away i figure from having strong enough chops and technical control to play "Somewhere" in front of a crowd.But i believe it will come.
Hope this helps.

cheers gospelJ.
jimh46
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Walt Johnson's "Double High C in Ten Minutes" Reply with quote

butxifxnot wrote:
A survey-type question.
Walt Johnson's book kind of relies on the assumption that there is a trick to playing in the double range. Is there?

I don't read that into his description of the embouchure in his book.
When I tried his technique I got almost instant results and found it quite easy to play much higher than I could using my regular embouchure.

I know you are familiar with BE from your postings in the BE forum and I would regard the Walt Johnson description as rolling in only the lower lip further than you would normally, even in a BE sense.

This places the vibration point of the lower lip (the aperture) at the margin between the lower lip tissue and facial skin where the the tissue is much firmer than it is further inboard.

In my case my upper lip remains where it normally does in regular playing.

This may be a clearer way of understanding how to do it than the descriptions that use expressions like - "tuck the lower lip slightly under the top lip".

The firmer lower lip tissue seems to have the effect of more easily creating a smaller aperture because only the upper lip tissue mass is recruited as the vibrating element.

This setup is more conducive to playing in the very high register.

I have also found that with a bit of practice it is possible to draw this embouchure setup down into the lower register, without resetting, by relaxing the lip tension.

Regards
Jim
pfeifela
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fnchdrms87 wrote:
why do users on this site list their equipment that they use under their signature? It really perplexes me.

I did it because I enjoyed seeing what other players use........seemed pretty straight forward at the time......
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: