• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flip Oakes Extreme Flugelhorn mouthpiece series

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:20 am    Post subject: Flip Oakes Extreme Flugelhorn mouthpiece series Reply with quote

Okay, all of you serious Flugelhorn soloists out there, I have just received word from Flip that he will have the first shipment of Extreme Flugelhorn mouthpieces in stock and ready to ship this Monday.

This shipment is of French taper shanks only, however Mark Curry is sending prototypes of both Morse tapers as well. So if Flip is satisfied with them, production will begin on those, too.

I understand that Flip will have all of his usual sizes in stock, so take a look at his website under accessories to see if your size is listed. If you have tried his standard flugelhorn mouthpieces, you are already familiar with the rim shape that Flip specifies. This rim is very comfortable on the lips, with enough bite for accuracy, but soft enough for long sets.

The graphic below shows both Flip's standard series and the new Extreme Flugelhorn in cross section for comparison. For those of you who are new to Flip's designs, even his standard line has been called "extreme" by some. Obviously, his new series takes the concept a giant step further.

Don't be put off by the look of these new pieces! I was taken by surprise the first time I saw one of Flip's hand-made versions, but I asked to play it, anyway. I was so "blown away", I had to have him make me one, too. These few one-offs came to be known as "The Swirling Vortex of Terror!" mouthpieces and are treasured by the players who have them.

Now, you can buy a fully developed and perfected version. The Extreme Flugelhorn mouthpiece for the serious soloist. There is nothing like it on the market, that I am aware of. And nothing else will give you such a velvety smooth flugel sound.

If you are interested in pricing and shipping details, contact Flip via email or phone.

flip@flipoakes.com

760-643-1501

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Introductory, Limited Supply, Now Available, and in stock!!

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Extreme Flugelhorn Mpcs. $75.00 plus $5.00 shipping......

At This Time French Tapers only ! Available in all sizes

#FO Flugelhorn Mpc.,@ .695" Flip Oakes Personal Model ( Largest Cup )
#1 Flugelhorn Mpc.,@ .680"
#1.25 Flugelhorn Mpc.,@ .672"
#1.5 Flugelhorn Mpc.,@ .670"
#3 Flugelhorn Mpc.,@ .666"
#5 Flugelhorn Mpc.,@ .659"
#7 Flugelhorn Mpc.,@ .653"
#10.5 Flugelhorn Mpc.,@ .626" ( Smallest Cup )

All The Best,

Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes
“Wild Thing Trumpets”
COME AND HEAR THE DIFFERENCE
http://www.flipoakes.com

“To read what Wild Thing Owners say about their horns, click on this”
http://www.flipoakes.com/testimonials.htm

Flip Oakes
2559 Mottino Dr.
Oceanside, Ca. 92056-3421
760-643-1501
760-643-1511 Fax

To Hear the Flip Oakes Wild Thing Trumpet go to
http://www.flipoakes.com/multimedia.htm
crzytptman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was taken by surprise the first time I saw one of Flip's hand-made versions,

HAHA - I was more than surprised! I thought it was a small trombone mouthpiece! What surprised me was that Arturo used one on a gig that night, after trying it that afternoon. We all witnessed history being made as he walked around the club playing that thing. There is nothing that sounds like that!
- TH member and advertiser (name withheld)
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking quite forward to a Bach-taper version...
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnArtist wrote:
Looking quite forward to a Bach-taper version...

That would be the "Small Morse" taper, according to Mouthpiece
Express' taper guide. I remember discussing some of the challenges with the Morse tapers, once when I was at Flip's shop.

To get the same sound, or similar sound as is produced by the French taper, we wondered if those shanks would allow the same throat and a big enough back bore. There simply isn't as much room. So, we'll have to see what Mark has been able to come up with.

Who knows, the Bach tapered version might work best with horns like the Kanstul 1025 with its copper bell. I tried my Vortex in one at the showroom, when Dave Edwards came out. I put the French taper mouthpipe from my own horn in it to ensure the best result. I didn't like the sound.

The fluffiness that the copper bell gives the sound became just muddy. The Extreme Flugelhorn version will have both a tighter throat and back bore, so my guess is it will be good on that horn. I'll have to try it some time.

Brian

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, it's funny. I have a Flip Oakes cornet mouthpiece on it's way back from Kanstul that I had plated, and I was just thinking last night, especially since I'm starting to do a far amount of flugel playing right now, that maybe I should give Flip a call about a new flugel mouthpiece.

I played Brian's mouthpiece at Kanstul. He had me try a traditional flugel piece first and then his Vortex. (was that a 1025 flugel I was playing Brian?) I really liked the sound of the Vortex a lot.

I have a great LA Benge FL3 flugel which has a yellow brass bell, so I suspect the Vortex would work well with it, although the Benge has a large morse taper. So I may have to wait awhile.

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qcm wrote:
You know, it's funny. I have a Flip Oakes cornet mouthpiece on it's way back from Kanstul that I had plated, and I was just thinking last night, especially since I'm starting to do a far amount of flugel playing right now, that maybe I should give Flip a call about a new flugel mouthpiece.

I played Brian's mouthpiece at Kanstul. He had me try a traditional flugel piece first and then his Vortex. (was that a 1025 flugel I was playing Brian?) I really liked the sound of the Vortex a lot.

I have a great LA Benge FL3 flugel which has a yellow brass bell, so I suspect the Vortex would work well with it, although the Benge has a large morse taper. So I may have to wait awhile.

-Dave

Yes, it was the Chicago 1025 you played. The difference between a stock 1025 and mine, the way it was (is) set up, is really dramatic. It had been some time since I had heard the Chicago with its original Bach taper set-up. You would never think a horn could change so drastically!

Anyway, I suspect that Yamaha players will benefit from the new Extreme Flugelhorn series in a similar way. Back when I was choosing my first flugel, I played one or two models at Ferguson's They were quite similar to the Kanstul 1025, so my guess is that y'all are going to love these new pieces, too, when they become available.

Brian

butxifxnot
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, this would have been perfect timing if it came in a standard/yamaha shank. ^_^ Any estimations of timing?
As it is, I may go ahead and flip (...I didn't just say that ) for the regular flugel cups.
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are working on the Morse Tapers today, so it should be very soon, Perhaps 10-14 days or so.

All The Best,

Flip Oakes

Flip Oakes
“Wild Thing Trumpets”

Flip Oakes
2559 Mottino Dr.
760-643-1501
760-643-1511 Fax

View Arturo Sandoval LIVE ! on YouTube

http://youtube.com/watch?v=u2Mo6L3iGvM&feature=related
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, MAN,

I got word that my new Extreme Flugelhorn mouthpiece is on the way. I'll try it out and compare it to my standard Flip Oakes 3FL. I can hardly wait to see how Mark stamped the new piece, so I can refer to it a little easier!

Hey, I want you guys to know something. I haven't got Flip's permission to share this, but in case there are any naysayers reading this, I want to make something public.

I asked via email if it would be helpful for me to have one of each of the Morse taper versions so I could try them out in different horns to see how they worked and report on them. Flip said that it was important that he be the one to play each model of flugelhorn with the appropriate version to make sure this new mouthpiece played in tune, gave a good scale and sounded good.

He listed numerous Kanstul, Yamaha, Benge and Getzen models that he is testing (or soon will be) with various mouth pipes in each horn to make sure which version gives the best result. He is working hard to determine whether any challenges he may encounter are sourced in the horn and it's original condition, or this new mouthpiece. The bottom line is that Flip insists that what he sells works for the player who is buying his products. He wants to be confident that when he makes a recommendation, it is valid and beneficial.

That's good for all of us.

Brian

tom turner
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the kind of guy Flip is. It has to be right, or it doesn't hit the market. Same way on the delayed introduction of his fluglehorn back around 2001/early 2002. He held back past the anticipated release date in order to keep really dialing things in. Lots of buzz on this forum (and it's earlier incarnation before that in early 2001) about when this much anticipated horn would be coming out.

He told me back then that he waited until it was perfect . . . and it is.

I'm sure it is that way too with the various versions of the flugle mouthpiece. When the smoke settles I'm going to ask him if he will cut off my favorite fluglehorn mouthpiece's rim and graft it to his new design. He'll tell me no if it won't work, but I'll bet it will be super if he can match it to the proper size mouthpiece he'll make.

I love the new taper to the flugle mouthpiece's "funnel," but my chops don't like Bach rims. Using my rim (about a .660 I.D.) would give me the feel of the rim I need, with a mouthpiece that I believe I'd like a whole lot. I'm wanting a darker sound than my current mouthpiece gives me, but love the rim. I've been playing this fluglehorn mouthpiece since 1972.

Thanks Brian, for keeping us informed.

Tom
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay,

I received my Flip Oakes WT X3 in the mail today. I immediately took it into my bedroom where I keep my horns and tried it on my WT Flugelhorn alongside my Vortex 1-1/2 and FO standard 3FL. A few quick observations:

The shank fits very closely into the receiver, which as been a little loose on his previous versions of the French taper. Flip told me this is one detail he asked Mark Curry to address, and Mark has done a very nice job with these shanks.

The blank on this mouthpiece is shorter than the standard style by about 1/4". I assume this is to open the back bore up a bit, or shorten the bore length.

Finish is impeccable!

Sound wise, this model has a more solid core to the sound, when compared with my hand-made Vortex. This is probably due to the decrease in bore from 1/4" to the current size (though the final size is still very large, somewhere between a #1 and #2 drill). It may also be simply because my Vortex is hand-made and relatively crude in comparison. Certainly these production pieces will be very consistent, whereas the Vortex pieces were very individual.

So, does the denser core destroy the velvety sound? No, I don't think so. I have played it only in a bedroom, but later I'll take my horns back down to my church sanctuary and really give it a go.

I expect the X3 to have better slotting in the upper range, a better scale and more consistent timbre throughout the range of the instrument. We'll see how it turns out and I'll report back.

Some of you have already purchased copies for yourselves. Please feel free to jump on in and give your own impressions, good or bad, so I'm not the only one.

Brian

butxifxnot
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting with bad breath for the yamaha/large morse taper.

I'm also interested to know how far you can take it volume-wise without diminishing the velvet sound it seems you're getting.
Flip Oakes
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

butxifxnot wrote:

I'm also interested to know how far you can take it volume-wise without diminishing the velvet sound it seems you're getting.

I’ve pushed it as hard as I can, and it doesn’t break up. It just has more core to the sound, still full and robust. It works really well with the Yamaha 731

Flip Oakes
“Wild Thing Trumpets”

Flip Oakes
2559 Mottino Dr.
760-643-1501
760-643-1511 Fax

mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Calicchio flugelhorn has the Large morse "standard" taper.
I currently uses a Curry 80 fld and love it, but I bet the new Flip Oakes Wild Thing Extreme Flugelhorn Mouthpiece is even better!
Can't wait to try out a size # 1 !
Way to go Flip!
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
www.myspace.com/trumpetofthelord
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

butxifxnot wrote:

Like Flip wrote above, he's working hard to get the Morse tapers finalized. He's playing as many different horns as he can get a hold of in order to develop a good amount of info for prospective customers.

Because I've been playing the Vortex for about 9 months now, I've had to think back on what it was like to play flugel before then. Though the X3 is very closely related to that piece, it is very different from every other flugel piece I have ever played, except Flip's own Standard Flugel line.

I'm sure you've read posts about "laying back" in order to let the horn sing? You know, where you have too much breath left when you run out of oxygen? It's not like that with any of Flip's mouthpieces. The Extreme Flugelhorn mouthpieces allow a tremendous range of volume; much greater than is typically possible with other pieces, but it all happens with a natural, relaxed approach.

To answer your question, though, in the Wild Thing Flugelhorn, there are no changes or steps in the character of the sound quality from the bottom to the top of the note or volume range. It's response is very consistent and intuitive. This is so superior to my Vortex, which is quite a challenging piece to play. The X-3 is as least as easy as any other flugel mouthpiece to play, but it may take a few days to acclimate to the change from more conventional mouthpieces.

Compared to his Standard line, the X series stays "velvety", whereas the other can get a bit bright up high when you lay into it.

I still don't have good recording equipment, but if I can come up with some, I'll make some sound samples and post them.

Brian

Robson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
I still don't have good recording equipment, but if I can come up with some, I'll make some sound samples and post them.

Brian

I'm looking forward to listen a sound sample. If you have some time make a comparison "regular" FO vs "X" FO mouthpiece

1 Corinthians 14:8 (KJV)
"For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?"
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
shofarguy wrote:

Brian

I'm looking forward to listen a sound sample. If you have some time make a comparison "regular" FO vs "X" FO mouthpiece

I'll talk to our tech guy at church and see what I can do. Maybe Herb will come out and play piano for me. We could do a little "My Funny Valentine" or something for the folks, eh Bruin?

Brian

Last edited by shofarguy on Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
ljazztrm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had my 101/2 extreme for a few days, but I want to echo a lot of what Brian (shofarguy) is saying. Slotting, ease of play, intonation, snug taper fit, etc. These things are spot on. (Remember this is Mark Curry we're dealing with who makes these). You might think at looking at the piece that intonation and slotting would be squirrely...not at all the case. Before this piece, my favorite flugel piece was the traditional WT model with a washer inside it. Now it is this piece. When I took some Gorilla Glue and glued the washer inside my cup...well, I was getting even more of a beautiful airy-ness to my sound.

For when I am able to control the volume and/or micing situation I'm in, this is the flugel mouthpiece for me. I can't use either my traditional WT flugel piece or this one in louder situations..I have a few other good ones for that though

p.s. - Believe it or not, I have the same range on this mouthpiece too as on any other mouthpiece..You might not think so to look inside the cup!
Www.LexSamu.com
Trptbenge
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2010 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I play a Kanstul Chicago flugelhorn and it takes a Bach taper. I look forward to Flip having the Bach tapers in stock.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: