• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Roger Ingram Model Jupiter XO Trumpet 1600I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lance Asparagus

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had one now for a week and I absolutely love it. It has a nice big fat sound and is extremely even through out all registers. It doesn't feel really any smaller than a ML bore but you really notice the efficiency after a long set. Longer phrases are also much easier than I expected.

I sat down with a tuner and almost all notes are very close or right in tune. In playing with ensembles, I haven't noticed any intonation issues as well. Like yammie said as well, the low and mid register have a very nice tone; very colorful. Obviously the upper register is great too. Great slots but plenty slippery for shakes. I am overall VERY happy with the horn.
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any good for sizzle?
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Post-PVA Reply with quote

Yammie wrote:

This stuff is entirely subjective and everyone's results are different (notes slot differently for everybody), but I feel like this horn is such an incredible bargain that an alignment and general health check is a good investment - and I've still got less money in the horn that WWBW's asking price.
Thanks, Jim!

swing95 wrote:
It doesn´t change my mind. Why do we need to send a new horn to a third part for additional work? Why Jupiter can not do the job ? It does not make sense to me. May be I am wrong. May be because, mostly of the time I think the probem is with me not with the horn I play.
Cheers

I think the key words are "we" and "need".
"We" may not "need" to send a new horn for valve alignment.
You may not need to send a new horn for valve alignment.
The OP, in the place of "we", felt he "needed" to send a new horn for valve alignment.
Other people, including myself, may or may not, "need" to send a new horn for valve alignment.

It's OK for each of us to determine what we need or want to do, isn't it?
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: ok Reply with quote

mpo wrote:
cb3 wrote:

Great that the horn plays well for you but I still think it's such a shame that any new horn would need a PVA.

According to Bob Reeves and KO (at that time) they all do, look here:

http://www.bobreeves.com/services/valve_alignment/misalignment.pdf
I'd like to see some numbers after a PVA. How much tighter can you get the alignment, really? Those numbers look miniscule to me. And is it really that noticeable?

On the other hand, I'm sure there is no harm in getting a PVA, if that makes you feel more comfortable with the horn.
jazz_trpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: ok Reply with quote

jonalan wrote:
How much tighter can you get the alignment, really? Those numbers look miniscule to me. And is it really that noticeable?

Seemingly small changes in bore size from valve to valve throttle the space in which the air column moves pretty significantly. You can test this yourself...unscrew one, two, or three of the valve caps by a random amount (effectively throwing them out of alignment) and blow over the range of the horn.
a_kist

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Come Check out the Roger Ingram 1600i trumpet Reply with quote

Hey Everyone,

I have a bunch of the 1600i trumpets in stock in both lacquer and silver. I also have several of the 1602's in stock. I am selling them right now at about 1399 for the Silver (1600is) and 1299 for the lacquer (1600i).

If you want to come down and try out the horns, e-mail me at ak@jimsmusic.com, and i will make an appointment with you to check them out.

These are great horns and they are going fast. Right now, According to my sales rep with Jupiter, we are the only store that has them in stock.
Manuel de los Campos
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 1:09 am    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

RogerIngram wrote:
. .....There's nothing new under the sun, folks.....

How about this: http://www.fenikstrumpets.com/
camel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2010 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder when the Feniks trumpets are up for sale in the US.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a Silver Ingram in for test drive as I might carry them in my new store. It's a lovely horn that feels really great in my hands. Well made, and I think I might like this one more than Yammie's... stay tuned.
-T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
jazzothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My new Jupiter XO 1600I came in today and I tried to fix the Nodal stabilizers and were unable to put it into the tuning slide. It seem to me the ring provided is too small to go through the slide. I know there is the T and B label so that you know that the T stand for the top and B for below tuning slide. Do anyone who bought this horn facing this problem. Pls advice.

Thank you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trumpethead
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried this horn a while ago and thought it was yet another, great playing trumpet - just like soooo many of them.

Recently had a chat to the wholesaler here in Australia who imports these Ingram horns within Australia, and we laughed at how we trumpet players embrace so many new trumpets and gadgets that are available, with many of us stating they're better then anything else etc... I'm guilty of it too.

With all the hype regarding this Ingram trumpet (and deservedly so), this wholesaler told me that Roger was approached to help design a affordable, well playing student model trumpet - what was produced is the 1600i.

So, if this is true (Roger?), we're all loving a souped-up student model horn.

I'm playing the student model 606 on all my gigs and no-one is any the wiser. I think it's great!

All the best
Peter
kcbrass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:18 pm    Post subject: Jupiter 1600 for quintet work Reply with quote

How do you guys think the Jupiter 1600 would work for a brass quintet?

thanks
Ken
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:
MikeyMike wrote:
Any good for sizzle?

Ya think?..

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:04 pm    Post subject: DB Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would it not work great? I would think of it as a small bore Bach with a 37 bell on it! You know what I mine? Unless it it completely different then the rest of the XO line it wears the #4 bell profile and is a small bore so all it's tubing adjusted as such with I would imagine it's own leadpipe. So I would doubt that it is a completely different beast then the rest of the excellent XO line more like a modification of those qualities already in the XO line! Last I checked all of the XO line from the 1600i to the 1606 which is .468 bore all use the No.4 bell profile it is all the rest of the tubing that is different with the base bell profile remaining the same.

Since the No.4 looks similar to a Bach 37 bell profile and sounds similar I am guessing that is their target with the No.4 bell profile. I have not had any luck finding out if they have 1,2,3 in a line of bell profiles since they call this one No.4 you would imagine their are other's but their web site has no information on it!

So by default if anyone would use or recommend a Bach 180S37 then their is no reason that any of the XO's would not work as well!

I am convinced that the only way some would recommend it would be if we took a Jupiter XO parts and branded them with Bach name and model number......Then they could play the horn and have a completely different opinion of it! I am convinced that most of many peoples perceptions is the name on the horn! Not all just many! Too many people have tried the XO's and liked them and when given the choice have chosen them over Bach and other more well known and more expensive brands when played head to head. No they do not play and sound exactly like a Bach! If you are not too heavily invested in that sound concept though and are intellectually honest most that try them really like them!
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
funkytrumpet36

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2010 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own it and I love it. I played Roger's loaner for three weeks until he made me give it back. So I called Jim's Music in Tustin CA I believe and ordered a silver one. I didn't want to play my other horns. Took Roger's loaner and my new one to a lesson and heard him play all three. His, the loaner, and my new one. I think this was back at the end of May...beginning of June. I was playing with DePaul's big band at the Jazz Showcase making a live recording with Ira Sullivan. Ira was a gas...totally.
I stumbled into this topic from the Marketplace where I'm trying to get some ads posted to sell off some garage queens that never leave the house.
The 1600i, I dig it. Many compliments on the sound of the horn. "What is that? A Jupiter....REALLY?"
I'm going to be selling my Schilke B6L with the tunable beryllium bell that I bought new on Wabash in 1977. I can't believe I'm going to sell it. Why? The 1600i out-Schilkes the Schilke is what I realized tonight. I also have a 1960 K-Modified, a 1949 Calicchio, and a Hub Van Laar B5 to choose from, and a 1964 Benge. And what do I take to the job. The Jupiter. Life is unexpectedly strange and cool. Lessons with Roger, simply put, changed my life. Thanks Roger, I'm grateful.

Tim Bales
(Hub Van Laar B2)
(Hub Van Laar B5)
King 2b
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RogerIngram wrote:
And trumpmac, yes, I wrote a document which will be included with each horn along with the kit (that WILL include the True Bore Insert Sleeves.) This document explains the concept behind the development of the sleeves and instructions for insertion and removal of the sleeves.

Roger, I did not get this True Bore document with my horn. Any chance I can get that from you? I have absolutely no idea what to do with them.

I'd be happy to PM you with my email address.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: ok Reply with quote

jonalan wrote:
mpo wrote:
cb3 wrote:

Great that the horn plays well for you but I still think it's such a shame that any new horn would need a PVA.

According to Bob Reeves and KO (at that time) they all do, look here:

http://www.bobreeves.com/services/valve_alignment/misalignment.pdf
I'd like to see some numbers after a PVA. How much tighter can you get the alignment, really? Those numbers look miniscule to me. And is it really that noticeable?

On the other hand, I'm sure there is no harm in getting a PVA, if that makes you feel more comfortable with the horn.

I wonder if there is any *proof* that some of what is known as a "Bach sound", or a Martin, or any specific models unique playing characteristics are NOT attributed to valves being slightly out of alignment. Anything that we can measure, we think we KNOW what those measurements should be. What if we're wrong?

These times bring a lot of real and armchair engineers out measuring everything to thousandths of an inch. Is it not at least possible that some of the "human error" in instrument assembly of the past and today is involved in what makes some of these horns that people think have "just the right amount of resistance", or a "dark tone", or whatever set of adjectives get used by the next generation of trumpet players?

Maybe having a "perfectly aligned" valve body, could adversely modify the sound out front, but make it feel better behind the bell? I'm not claiming this is the case, I'm asking what evidence do we have that it is not? Maybe valves that are "really off" need fixing, but the majority are fine as is? They must have been "back in the day", when people weren't having this done routinely, and sounded great anyway. Not trying to start a war. I'm simply wondering if the "science" is backed up with real data, or it simply looks good to have a piece of paper with a bunch of Up/Down: ".000"'s written on it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 6 of 21

Jump to: