• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Roger Ingram Model Jupiter XO Trumpet 1600I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ejweiss
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is awesome! I will be looking forward to it!
BobD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the deal with the lacquered ones? The Jupiter website shows it with nickel slides and what looks like a red brass leadpipe but I never see that setup on sale.
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's simple.

It features nickle slides and a rose brass leadpipe. That's the only way it does come. Then either with a lacquer coating on top or silver plate.

Found these pics of the lacquer ones somebody posted... this is exactly what you'll get.
http://picasaweb.google.com/108630301140235096754/Jupiter1600I#

Regards,
Matt
Unpaid Jupiter Salesman
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other I opted to pick up one of these horns to evaluate it long term using my tax return from uncle sam. I purchased from Chuck Levins for a good price and specifically went to them because of how good they treated me back during the Roger Ingram Clinic in October or November. Lee Walkowich, Jim White, and Todd Milam were all class acts. Of course, Roger too. I didn't have my Schilke B6L with me for evaluation side by side so I did want to do this at some point. But I did remember that I liked the way the 1600i played very much particularly in some of its slotting characteristics.

In any regards I did receive the horn this week and I ordered it in silver plate for durability purposes and to protect the brass underneath. That being said I do adhere to Renold Schilke's philosophy on the superiority of plating to lacquer. Probably doesn't make a ton of a difference nowadays but that's another discussion. I do love the look of the lacquer ones though with the nickel and brass mixed.

I will be evaluating it long term for playability so I won't comment on it quite yet until I've had more than minimally a month. What I can say is that I have given it an evaluation on build quality. And I am very impressed. Fit and finish are excellent. All slides are tight and quick to move. The valve alignment is better than my old yamaha 6310z, bach, and even the schilke. So I was quite shocked to see this.

The other thing that I really like is the second valve slide is actually a reversed slide with a 'male' and 'female' end instead of two 'male' ends like most manufacturers. It would seem this should lend to good airflow maybe in a minor or even undetectable way but I do enjoy the thought and innovation put into it. Another feature that I appreciate is something seen on Calicchios- a stop screw for the 1st valve slide.

The valves can be commented on just as others have, smooth and silky. Certainly better than any Yamaha (the valves are what I consider to be Yamaha's worst feature) and is comparable to the schilke on smoothness. They are stainless steel. I've never had any experience with these and don't know how they go long term but I can't imagine anything being wrong with stainless steel as a choice.

The horn has a nice heft to it. Not too light, not overly heavy. Good medium weight in my opinion. It came with many other options - weighted caps, extra slide, springs, etc. Haven't fiddled with them. I tend to not like rounded slides because of slotting problems and I remember trying it in the store and not liking it, at least with my lead piece in.

So far, so good. I feel that Jupiter has made quite the improvement in production quality since the days of past. Jim White had mentioned this when I talked to him saying they completely retooled the plant a little while back and hired some experts to assist with various aspects. I can't seem to find any build flaws so far. At a price around $1000 under it's chief competitors in the commercial horn market, I feel it can easily win over some people and it seems it has by reading this thread.

I had toyed with the idea of getting a S42 Dr. Valve conversion for some time but could never come to grips with the near $4000 price tag. I was happy to hear the rumors Roger was working to produce a horn I was very excited to see what came of it. I initially was concerned when I heard it was a Jupiter because of old Jupiters I had seen. Now I would look forward for anyone to work with the company if this is what they are turning out. I hope they can continue this. If so, the future is very bright for them.

Enough for now. More on playing after I evaluate it more.

Hope this helps anybody curious on quality aspects.

Regards,
Matt
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatchesTheCat wrote:

The valves can be commented on just as others have, smooth and silky. Certainly better than any Yamaha (the valves are what I consider to be Yamaha's worst feature) and is comparable to the schilke on smoothness. They are stainless steel. I've never had any experience with these and don't know how they go long term but I can't imagine anything being wrong with stainless steel as a choice.

Matt

Look forward to hearing your experiences. I "Heard It Through The Grapevine" however that the switch to stainless steel my be cost driven as monel is far more expensive these days. And that stainless steel being harder than monel may lead to faster wear of the cylinders, consequently more frequent refurbs. But I am not a metallurgist...
If true, Getzen's NiAg seems to still be the way to go.
erd402

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TrentAustin wrote:
I have a ton coming into my shop in the next week or two and will match any price you find.

The Ingram is a marvelous trumpet.

Best,
T

How well have these been selling compared to the other horns you sell? On here they seen to be very popular, but have they been as popular in your store as say, the Carol horns? The reason I ask is because everyone is selling them so much cheaper than the normal price like they are trying to get rid of them, but they seem so popular that I would think they would have no problem selling at the regular price which is already very cheap for a professional trumpet. I've had mine for around 6 months now (that sounds about right) and I can assure everyone they are well worth the money, but I think they'd be worth the money up at the $2,000 price range.

By the way, those were my pictures that Matt posted a link to. For anyone considering buying the Jupiter, I'd say go for it. The case itself is worth the cash for how cheap they've been sold. They come with basically the Swiss Army Knife of trumpet cases.
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

erd402 wrote:
The case itself is worth the cash for how cheap they've been sold. They come with basically the Swiss Army Knife of trumpet cases.

How so?
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crazy Finn wrote:
erd402 wrote:
The case itself is worth the cash for how cheap they've been sold. They come with basically the Swiss Army Knife of trumpet cases.

How so?

Hmm. I have to completely disagree on this one. I despise the case. I use it atm because it doesn't fit well in other cases (other than gig bags) I have currently.

It has a bunch of pockets hanging all over the outside of the case, none of them big enough for a mute, and none offering enough protection to store anything of value in.

It has a weird little pouch on the outside, apparently designed for an 4 or 5 year old "flashlight shaped" Nokia cell phone or something. Certainly doesn't fit a current iphone, or similar smart phone at all. You could put a bottle of valve oil in it I suppose. And you'd almost have to, as the inside will hold the trumpet, a couple mouthpieces, and almost nothing else.

They somehow managed to make a relatively large case, with almost no storage room inside it. Can't put a mute of any kind in it, or even a portable stand. About the only thing that will fit inside is the little metal tin (think altoids can) that holds the extra valve guides, springs, caps, etc. I don't need to take those with me when taking the horn anywhere, as I don't see a sudden need to change bottom caps mid-rehearsal coming on.

In short, Love the horn, hate the case.
2-5-1
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where you guy's finding these blemish deals??
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

erd402 wrote:
TrentAustin wrote:
I have a ton coming into my shop in the next week or two and will match any price you find.

The Ingram is a marvelous trumpet.

Best,
T

How well have these been selling compared to the other horns you sell? On here they seen to be very popular, but have they been as popular in your store as say, the Carol horns? The reason I ask is because everyone is selling them so much cheaper than the normal price like they are trying to get rid of them, but they seem so popular that I would think they would have no problem selling at the regular price which is already very cheap for a professional trumpet. I've had mine for around 6 months now (that sounds about right) and I can assure everyone they are well worth the money, but I think they'd be worth the money up at the $2,000 price range.

But up at the $2000 range you can have a handmade horn of both exacting quality standards & tailored (pardon the pun) to fit your specific needs, e.g., the Lawlers which start at $2100. Or you can find the top of the line mass produced horns in mint condition on Craigslist or Ebuyerbeware:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300539574960&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

(not my buy). This horn is probably priced right at ~$1250 posted above, particularly if Jupiter is surpassing Yamaha or other mass-producers in quality.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the price is lower due to the fact that the bulk of the trumpet world still considers Jupiter to be a "student" brand. I can tell you that I am supremely impressed by the quality of all of the Taiwanese makers lately. They really have upped their game lately.

The horn's price is like the Carols. I think Carol trumpets are easily $400-600 underpriced for what they are. In order for them to gain exposure into the US market and create brand loyalty I think it's a wise idea to sell at their current price point. I doubt they stay there for too long once the US public especially realizes the quality product they make. Is it a Shires or an Adams? I do not think so... but I choose to stock these horns over other horns due to my belief in the product. I think these are the best horns in that particular price range for sure. I am trying to carry the best products in three tiers of prices at my shop. The Ingram fits that niche perfectly.

In terms of stocking the Ingram as a smaller shop I can't afford yet to stock 10-20 of any one horn at one time. So that means I usually get an Ingram in stock and sell it within 48 hours due to a waiting list I have from my store. Now that I know the product is rock solid I am going to buy many more for inventory. Honestly most of this current batch I ordered is sold.

Best,
T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
altamira_28
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Just got back from our band's tour in Florida. The horn held up great! We have some powerhouse trumpeters in our section, and even with my personal endurance issues, the horn pulled me through with chops to spare. I didn't have to blow my brains out to be heard in the audience; the horn's projection took care of it for me.

I can't wait to let this baby loose on the streets of Seoul!

Josh

PS... glad to see so many people are catching the buzz for this horn. Great work, Roger! And thank you for a great instrument! You and your co-developers / Jupiter have a lot to be proud of.
XO Brass Tribune 1622 C Trumpet
Jupiter Tribune 1220 Bb Cornet
Jupiter 1700S
Monette B3S3, C3S3, B4LS1, B4LSS1, B4LVS1, BP6, Bob Reeves 43WF, Denis Wick 3B Heavy Top Cornet
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've now been playing on the 1600I for about a month now. I thought I would share a few thoughts on the horn.

Fit/Finish: Still after a month the fit and finish on the horn are still good. I haven't uncovered any issues on it.

Valves: I researched into Stainless Steel Valves and there seems to be a fair amount of people in support of them and actually consider them to be superior. Nevertheless they are still fast and could only imagine them better if the horn was flushed and re-oiled with Ultra Pure Oil which I consider the best on the market.

Scale/Intonation: Very even, very defined slots throughout. I still liked the slotting partials above high C. It was very in tune throughout but I will say players unknowingly probably compensate easily for minor intonation issues.

Sound: Loved the way it sounded. Played gorgeously with a deep mouthpiece and lit up with a shallow mouthpiece but still retained more "core" sound than my schilke likely due to the increased weight of the 1600I. I think the sound from this horn is probably one of the most versatile sounds out there as it could easily be adapted to play a number of different styles effectively just with a mouthpiece switch.

Blow: I ended up not liking the way it blew. I liked the horn when I tried it at Chuck Levins as I was on a trip and was borrowing a ML bore bach trumpet. I found the 1600I hands above the Bach and I seemed to instantly like it. However, in my current residence, I use a Schilke B6L. I stopped playing the Schilke for the entire month so I could appropriately adjust to the 1600I. I found it stuffy though the first week and overly resistant to blow against. I opted to play for over a week just softly so my body could make adjustments. I initially lost part of my upper range but gained it back by the end of testing. I found I was fighting the overall blow too much by the end of the test. Don't get me wrong I did like some of the resistance however, I also felt that horn used more air (which adds to my perceived resistance) than my schilke. I decided to compare tubing sizes between it and the schilke. Despite the 1600I being called a medium bore (usually a designation of the valve block) the tubing on the horn was much bigger and swallowed the corresponding B6's tubing easily. To me this explained why I felt like my air wasn't lasting as long. I think it took my air the way ML or L bore horns did but the initial resistance provided by the medium valve block was useful in upper register access (this is my theoretical idea). I had headaches trying to play some of the exercises that normally gave me no problems in the past. I can be honest in saying I have always had lung issues which is why smaller bore horns appeal to me but the 1600I just didn't cut the bill in my case for efficiency of air use. It does obviously work for others though. When I switched back to my Schilke at the end of the month I found that the headaches that were plaguing me went away by the second day back on it. My upper register also strengthened up a bit.

Results: Jupiter has expertly assembled an amazingly versatile trumpet that has multiple uses in the industry in my opinion. It's sound is absolutely gorgeous and has even slotting from the very lows to the extreme highs. It gives a wall of resistance many players will find appealing in accessing the upper register. I however did not find it to be as efficient in air use as my Schilke B6L which is a deal breaker for me. I actually think this horn can be quite appealing for the ML bore trumpet player looking to get a horn with more commercial zing but enough lyrical capability to do almost any job.

So in the end, I had a great time on the horn but it isn't the best horn for me. My current Schilke still remains the best match up for all the characteristics of my body and playing. I'm sure many people will be taken with this horn. Alas mine though, will now be heading for the auction/sale block and I will look forward to testing other horns in the future in the medium bore commercial market.

I hope this helps anybody looking into these quality horns. Feel free to ask any questions or PM me if you're looking for a jupiter 1600I for yourself .

Best Regards,

Matt
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt, did you try both tuning slides? The rounded slide has considerably less resistance than the square and has a perfect blow for me.
PatchesTheCat
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I did try both slides. The rounded one changed some slotting characteristics of the horn and did make it a bit more free blowing but one of things I learned from playing the Schilke S32 (which I hated) is that once adapted to smaller efficient bores, that jumping to larger bore horns, the increase in size alone albeit larger can cause a perceived increased resistance to where logically it should feel like it has less. My B6L has a step bore approach and is pretty easy blowing. I'm not an expert in all the things that go into whether a person likes a horn or not but it just wasn't for me. Nothing wrong with it, it had many attributes that I loved, I just seem to take to step bore designs that are rather on the small side. The last horn I had, liked and sold was a 6310Z (hated the valves), so the B6L made a perfect transition (step bore, great valves).

It's all good. I'll probably put it on ebay and hopefully someone will get a nice deal on a one month old horn. I'm glad I did the testing as it really solidified my appreciation for my current setup. Jupiter did put together a really nice package though.

Regards,
Matt
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatchesTheCat wrote:
Yeah, I did try both slides. The rounded one changed some slotting characteristics of the horn and did make it a bit more free blowing but one of things I learned from playing the Schilke S32 (which I hated) is that once adapted to smaller efficient bores, that jumping to larger bore horns, the increase in size alone albeit larger can cause a perceived increased resistance to where logically it should feel like it has less. My B6L has a step bore approach and is pretty easy blowing. I'm not an expert in all the things that go into whether a person likes a horn or not but it just wasn't for me. Nothing wrong with it, it had many attributes that I loved, I just seem to take to step bore designs that are rather on the small side. The last horn I had, liked and sold was a 6310Z (hated the valves), so the B6L made a perfect transition (step bore, great valves).

Regards,
Matt

+1 for Matt's last 2 posts, altho' I only had a 1600I (lacquer) for a one week trial before sending it back. About the only diversion from his posts that I have is that I found it to have a dark tone with both a shallow lead mpc & a deep mpc, darker than my CONNstellation as an example. Matt, I'm curious about your comparison of the Shew to the B6 as the 8310Z (I also sold 1 - - similar reasons) steps down from .468 @ tuning slide to .445 and the B6 more traditionally steps up from .450 to .460; I would think they would blow very differently? Thanks.
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GenoValet wrote:
About the only diversion from his posts that I have is that I found it to have a dark tone with both a shallow lead mpc & a deep mpc, darker than my CONNstellation as an example.

Wow, that's the first I've heard anyone mention they get a dark sound out of the 1600i. Just proves how different we all play on similar horns.

I can't get a dark sound out of this horn no matter how deep my mouthpiece is. Deeper cups get less bright, but certainly not dark...for me. It has a much more full sound, compared to my 8310Z, but still on the bright side. A good bright, though.
GenoValet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonalan wrote:
GenoValet wrote:
About the only diversion from his posts that I have is that I found it to have a dark tone with both a shallow lead mpc & a deep mpc, darker than my CONNstellation as an example.

Wow, that's the first I've heard anyone mention they get a dark sound out of the 1600i. Just proves how different we all play on similar horns.

I can't get a dark sound out of this horn no matter how deep my mouthpiece is. Deeper cups get less bright, but certainly not dark...for me. It has a much more full sound, compared to my 8310Z, but still on the bright side. A good bright, though.

Thanks Jonalan. Maybe just symantics? When I talk about dark/bright, I'm referring to all around timbre rather than 'sounds.' With a shallow Marcinkiewicz 311 there is certainly more air in the sound and the core is sharper; with the M'wicz C3 Concert Hall the sound is rounder/fuller. But here against my 38B and 10B (on sale in the marketplace ;>), the timbre to my ear was darker on the Ingram than either of those. I found the 8310Z to be the easiest to play of all horns I've ever owned; great for those 4 set big band gigs & exhibiting a wide range of sound with change in mouthpieces than the Ingram; if the 8310Z had the 1699I valves - even better Getzen NiAg valves - I'd still have it.
Ron M. Davis

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:04 am    Post subject: S42 Reply with quote

Matt--Have you played the Sch S42?
Patches

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my account was apparently terminated by Trumpetherald for some reason after I updated my account info. I dropped 2 emails to no avail so I've created another account until this gets resolved. So if anyone here knows someone in charge, I could use some help on this.

Anyways, to address the question:
Quote:
Matt, I'm curious about your comparison of the Shew to the B6 as the 8310Z (I also sold 1 - - similar reasons) steps down from .468 @ tuning slide to .445 and the B6 more traditionally steps up from .450 to .460; I would think they would blow very differently?

I never have played the 8310Z but the 6310Z I was on for 2 or 3 years. It took me about 6 months to adjust to the blow from a ML bore Bach. I found the blow of it to be very upfront with immediate feedback much like the 1600I gives. However the amount of air it accepted was very small and the horn actually taught me how to relax my airstream so it wouldn't back up on me. I really dug the Z horn while I had it. The valves were horrible though. The casing under just the pressure of my grip would seize the valves. It drove me up a wall! I would still have it today if it had heavy valve casings like schilke uses.

To compare it to the B6 is interesting. They are quite similar but I feel very different. The B6 has a bore through the valve cluster at .450, it expands to .453 through the tuning slide and to .463 at the tuning slide bow, the valve slide bows also expand to .454. This is what Jim Donaldson has said of the specs. I have also heard the B series horns all share the same leadpipe though I haven't been able to substantiate this claim. If so that would mean that the starting bore following the mouthpiece receiver would be .342 which is very small. Anyways, back to the comparison. So, I found that the B6 didn't give quite as much immediate feedback as the Z had. With the smaller airstream needed on both horns, I actually liked the immediate feedback of the Z. The B6 seems to just accept air so freely making dynamics very easy. It ended up modifying my embouchure to a closed setting from the more open one it had to get the necessary resistance that I need to access the upper register. Its sound quality was different from the Z. The big bell on the Z spread the sound. I found the Z horn was a fantastic solo horn as I used it at a church gig and in big band situations. The B6 is more compact sounding and the size B copper bell I think disperses the sound less and directs the sound more like a laser beam would if that makes sense. I've used it too in a variety of settings with ease. I thought the Z was better for soloing though. But damn them valves.

Quote:
Matt--Have you played the Sch S42?

Actually I did play the S42 a number of years ago at Dillons in NJ against the Z and a B6 at the time. From what I remember I really liked the horn and don't think it took too much air to fill it up. It is actually the next horn I would like to try again to see if it'll play like the B6 but just tighten up the slotting a bit. That was the goal of the 1600I as I heard its design influence was the S42 conversion (how much of that is true I don't 100% know). Right now it's about finding a S42 for under 2300 (the cheapest I have found it). I don't particularly like trying horns for 20 minutes as I feel it doesn't really give you the whole picture on how you will end up liking them. It is an all too familiar story of a person loving a horn in the store and then it completely not working for them (I'm guilty of this too).

Anyways I hope this answered any questions. And if anyone has sent me a PM in the last 48 hours, please resend it as I was not able to get it. And Administrators, I want my identity back!!!!

Regards,
Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 9 of 21

Jump to: