• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Roger Ingram Model Jupiter XO Trumpet 1600I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
altamira_28
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Fredrik!

I've been using the 1600I for over 2 1/2 years now. I can honestly say that this is the best horn I've ever played. (Although, a Shires Destino pulled a close 2nd for lead work) I play lead / split lead / solo in a jazz orchestra, jazz combo, lots of chamber (bq), concert band, and other genres in my line of work.

As far as the laquer wear, the only areas I've had problems with are where my right thumb nail scrapes the inside of the 1st / 2nd valve casing, and my wedding ring scrapes around the 3rd valve slide. Considering the laquer got scraped off rather than prematurely worn, no fault to the company for that one. Other than that, it holds up with just a wiping down, and a thorough cleaning every couple of weeks. The valves, I found, were built with such tight tolerance, that I had to use Hetman's #1 instead of the Blue Juice I'd been using for over a decade. That was kind of a bummer, but I use Hetman's on my Yammie C now, as well.

I recently made a switch to a Monette B3S3 mouthpiece, and experienced some intonation issues on top. I put the XONS in, and, BAM, gone. I must qualify that I had played Monette mouthpieces before with this horn, and that this was also a size change from my 3C Bach Megatone to the B3S3 (1 1/2Cish Bach size). For some reason, the 4th line D was ungodly flat, as well as just a couple of other pitches that should be sharp on the horn. The XONS also fixed some slotting issues in the "money" register of the horn, as well as leaving some room to properly nail and slot the extreme high register of the horn.

If you need some more info, go to XObrass.com and check them out. I'm in process of bartering for a picc, but one day, I want the XO picc. That thing played fantastic straight out the gate with no mods at all.

Josh
XO Brass Tribune 1622 C Trumpet
Jupiter Tribune 1220 Bb Cornet
Jupiter 1700S
Monette B3S3, C3S3, B4LS1, B4LSS1, B4LVS1, BP6, Bob Reeves 43WF, Denis Wick 3B Heavy Top Cornet
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the 1600i when I get called for lead/pit stuff for around 2 years now, build quality is the equal of any of the major brands. I also use Hetman's #1 due to tolerances (I do the same on the Yamaha horns I own) and it is also worth reading the owner's manual on how to break in the valves. Oil them even if they don't feel like they need it!

Cheers
Fredrik

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Josh and Jon,

Thanks for the replies, good to hear that you still enjoy the horn after a couple of years. Looking forward trying the 1600i myself.

All the best

Fredrik
saxophonist56
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm thinking of getting a jupiter xo but i can get an olds super for about 1/2 of the price. wish i could get both. it really does not matter because i'm a beginner but at least the jupiter shouldn't have any sticky valves or slides.

any thoughts. ? both are used but the jupiter is mint. the super is old and has a few dents i need to remove. ....

i was really impressed with the jupiter xo i tried out. i had a 50's super but returned it because it obviously had some serious damage. it could have been a sweet horn was misrepresented on ebay as being fully ready to play
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you liked the Jupiter, I say go for it. I love mine!
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been having some mild trouble getting a mouthpiece I really feel syncs up with this horn the way I would like. I love the way my Heim 1 plays with my Handcraft Imperial (also a .453 bore) but it doesn't seem to really sing or resonate on my 1600i the same way.

I know it's very much individual preference, but what sorts of throats / backbores have you guys found really synchronize well with this horn?

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PW-Factor wrote:
I have been having some mild trouble getting a mouthpiece I really feel syncs up with this horn the way I would like. I love the way my Heim 1 plays with my Handcraft Imperial (also a .453 bore) but it doesn't seem to really sing or resonate on my 1600i the same way.

I know it's very much individual preference, but what sorts of throats / backbores have you guys found really synchronize well with this horn?
Mine really likes a Curry TC, in my case an 8.5.
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really considering trying a TC again. I had one years ago when they first came out, and I think between a TC and an M I may have everything I need.

Thanks.

Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PW-Factor wrote:

Not trying to be disrespectful, but... Why did you buy the horn if you didn't have a mouthpiece that makes the horn sound good? How do you know another mouthpiece will accomplish what you're looking for?

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C

Last edited by Adam V on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Because the horn does sound very good at moments. For a lead sound it has been great so far with a couple of different mouthpieces. But for a jazz / legit / all-around sound I have been trying a bunch of different Curry cups with decent success, but nothing that really wows me, yet. I used a larger Hammond when I very first got it and liked it pretty well, but have since sold that mouthpiece to fund the horn purchase.

Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*double post*

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C

Last edited by Adam V on Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:08 am; edited 1 time in total
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really helpful to quote what you already said. Thank you.

I bought the horn because it's affordable, well-built, and does have a good sound. I just haven't "felt right" with a legit mouthpiece yet, even if the sound has been good.

If you care to contribute something, particularly from personal experience, I'd love to hear it.

Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wasn't supposed to be me quoting myself. I'm on my phone and accidentally clicked on "quote" when I was trying to edit the grammar mistake in my original post.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I apologize for my snarky-ness.

Adam V
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha, no worries.

Marcinkiewicz E3/3C
HillBilly Joe

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had an Ingram for a while. I felt it played better with a tighter throat and a more open backbore.
Manchester Brass Pocket Trumpet
GR 62Z**, ACB TAZF
Jon Arnold
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PW-Factor wrote:

Great question! I am currently using an ACB TA-2 mouthpiece top with a standard heavy backbore and I am extremely happy with the combination. I am mainly playing combo jazz and big band.

I have also used a Monette B4L in the past and felt it matched up well with the 1600i.

For me, I have had good success with medium shallow cups, 27 throats and standard to medium open backbores.

Hope that helps.
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jon!

I am starting to take a lot of interest in some of the smaller Monette mouthpieces. I want to try a B7F some time soon. I have found that semi-shallow v-cups usually work really well for me.

Though I'll probably be starting with the Kanstul copy, to save some money.

PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone else with a silver-plated 1600i notice that the silver is wearing through quickly?

I don't believe my hands are particularly acidic. I owned a silver-plated Schilke for about a year with now signs of silver wear. However, my 1600i, which is now about 5 months old, is already showing some brass on the 3rd valve casing.

I really enjoy the way this horn plays, and it feels very well built, but between the issues I had with the nodal stabilizers getting stuck, the oxidation in my 3rd valve port, and now this, I'm slightly disappointed, overall. Particularly considering the price went up prior to me buying mine, so you would think the QC would have gone up, as well.

Ed Kennedy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PW-Factor wrote:

It could be a gap issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 14 of 21

Jump to: