• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Roger Ingram Model Jupiter XO Trumpet 1600I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
houdini1313
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After having the horn since the beginning of April I can also say WOW so far. Played Easter (legit) and with the right mpc match blended very well, and am currently playing a run of HAIR the musical with some legit dark, and plenty of bright lead playing, and the horn responds very well to it all. Very happy with my switch to the 1600i!
Stomvi Piccolo

Hammond, Patrick, and Reeves Mouthpieces
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject: jupiter 1600 lacquer Reply with quote

Have a 1500 with laquer. Anyone having trouble with lacquer coming up or dulling around the valve block. Mines only a month old andi have some places wearing ?

Mark
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: set up Reply with quote

How are you guys setting up your horns., as far as caps and slides ?

Mark
mark61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:53 pm    Post subject: jupiter 1600 lacquer Reply with quote

My above post should say 1600xo with lacquer, not 1500.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: jupiter 1600 lacquer Reply with quote

mark61 wrote:
Have a 1500 with laquer. Anyone having trouble with lacquer coming up or dulling around the valve block. Mines only a month old andi have some places wearing ?

Mark

It's a known problem with a particular run of these horns. It's been discussed here before, either earlier in this thread or another similar thread. I had mine replaced under warranty with another trumpet, seen no sign of the problem since, but I haven't played it all that much lately either.
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: set up Reply with quote

mark61 wrote:
How are you guys setting up your horns., as far as caps and slides ?

Mark

Stock!

I have tried all combinations but I want to get used to the horn before making changes so that I am better informed of what changed.

I may go to light weight springs and maybe lighter finger buttons. We will see.

Kind regards
Mike

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Ktmusic316

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the horn come with the inserts to put on the tuning slide? I was wondering what you thought about what they do to the horn. Interesting concept.
4 Valve Getzen Eterna Flugelhorn
Custom Bach Stradivarius 43
Schilke P5-4

Monette B2S3 Prana, C2S3
Dennis Wick 4FL
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ktmusic316 wrote:
Doesn't the horn come with the inserts to put on the tuning slide? I was wondering what you thought about what they do to the horn. Interesting concept.

I have never tried them. Mainly because I don't like the idea of them getting stuck in there, or having to pull them out suddenly if you are in a group tuning sharper than normal.

I prefer the feel of the thicker finger buttons with the inserts mainly because every other instrument I play has them. I've tried the heavy valve bottom caps and didn't care for them.

I always seem to prefer brass valve guides, so that's what I use, and I use the "D" slide instead of the rounded one.

I have not felt the need or desire to tinker around with the remaining 15 million possible combinations of gizmos that come with the horn.
houdini1313
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From tips from on TH and from my trusted local repair tech, simply wiping down the horn after use with a clean microfiber cloth will keep the finish looking like new, so take care of it and it shouldn't be a worry!

I wonder how many other users have experimented with all the customizable options. I put the horn close to Roger's specs (standard weight springs, brass valve guides, square slide) but no nodal stabilizers. I like how the horn plays currently, and may try again in the future. Don't fix it if it isn't broken!
Stomvi Piccolo

bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

houdini1313 wrote:
From tips from on TH and from my trusted local repair tech, simply wiping down the horn after use with a clean microfiber cloth will keep the finish looking like new, so take care of it and it shouldn't be a worry!

I wonder how many other users have experimented with all the customizable options. I put the horn close to Roger's specs (standard weight springs, brass valve guides, square slide) but no nodal stabilizers. I like how the horn plays currently, and may try again in the future. Don't fix it if it isn't broken!

Do you find the brass guides are a little loud?

I prefer the square slide because it makes the slots a little tighter and the resistance a little more which is good for me - it really helps me centre my tone on it.

Quigley

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

houdini1313 wrote:
After having the horn since the beginning of April I can also say WOW so far. Played Easter (legit) and with the right mpc match blended very well, and am currently playing a run of HAIR the musical with some legit dark, and plenty of bright lead playing, and the horn responds very well to it all. Very happy with my switch to the 1600i!

I've been playing the 1600i for about 2 years now and have used several mouthpieces - Curry 5M, 7M and an old Martin 7 mostly. What are you using for legit work?
houdini1313
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quigley wrote:
houdini1313 wrote:

I've been playing the 1600i for about 2 years now and have used several mouthpieces - Curry 5M, 7M and an old Martin 7 mostly. What are you using for legit work?

Used a Hammond Heavyweight 5MLh and for the higher parts of the processional I used a standard weight 5mb. For commercial playing I use some custom Hammond's or the GR studio Bergeron piece. Wish I had switched to this horn two years ago like you did!
Stomvi Piccolo

Connditor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a 1600i but what I got is a 1600 (without an i) and with a sterling lead pipe...
Also no insert parts for the lead pipe...forgot the name....

Very nice sound and slotting!

Now I am wondering:; is it still the Ingram horn?

Does somebody know? Are they different in europe?
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Connditor wrote:
I just ordered a 1600i but what I got is a 1600 (without an i) and with a sterling lead pipe...
Also no insert parts for the lead pipe...forgot the name....

Very nice sound and slotting!

Now I am wondering:; is it still the Ingram horn?

Does somebody know? Are they different in europe?

I bought mine earlier this year (March?) from thomann who are a German supplier.

Mine is listed as 1600i. I forget if that is on the receiver. I think it is.

It came with the accessory kit. The parts you speak of are called nodal stabilisers. They change the slotting characteristics. I'm not sure if I like them or not. I tried them last night on a loud wedding band gig and I'd played for 5 hours that day so really can't say if they helped slotting. It maybe felt tighter.

Mine doesn't have the engraving as they stopped doing that. Their rep told me it was because they wanted a cleaner look. Personally I think they were saving money. I'll have mine engraved sometime.

They also don't offer the Rose brass bell on this trumpet any more.

Good luck! I love mine!

Connditor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you,
on my receiver it is stamped: JTR 1600!! So, no i...

Regards
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
Mine doesn't have the engraving as they stopped doing that. Their rep told me it was because they wanted a cleaner look. Personally I think they were saving money. I'll have mine engraved sometime.

They also don't offer the Rose brass bell on this trumpet any more.

So the price has gone up roughly $600 (US) since they stopped doing the engraving and using the same bell material? The only upgrade being the name change to XO Brass instead of Jupiter?
hornman1

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: ohh yes, just like Phaeton, they rule too! Reply with quote

Capt.Kirk wrote:
I wish I could say I predicted this but I did not this time. I thought for sure that someone like Harrelson was going to Team up with them but in the end I do not think it matters. Having owned and worked on a modern maybe 2 year Old Jupiter I could clearly see they where not the same old Jupiters from 10+ years ago. Their fit and finish and attention to detail is as good as Kanstuls or Getzen etc.......They where offering a lot of bang with innovative marketing idea like multiples slides,caps,buttons and springs etc....... I know it was only going to be a matter of them either coming up with a great design on their own or teaming up with someone that could help them with design, sound concept and put some weight behind the new model as in name recognition!

What I like is that they have Nickel, Monel and Stainless Steel valves for many models so even if they do not come with what you want you can order replacements in any of the other materials.I like the fact that for under $1000 you can get a student trumpet with stainless steel valves ot a pro horn with stainless steel valves for well under the $3000+ mark most other pro horns with stainless steel valves demand! I also like the two piece valve assembly.I love how cheap parts are for them as well! I love being able to buy a leadpipe for them for under $5 in most case's not considering their solid sterling silver leadpipes of course! I love it when you can get great options, value added, good build quality, and cheap replacement parts cost's!!! That is what you want in any tool really! I defiantely think that Jupiter builds a better product then Eastman!
PW-Factor
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the XONS in for quite a while. I notice if I try to overblow the horn at all (to get the brassier side of the tone out, or shooting for a high E or F) it can back up on me more with the XONS.

That being sad, been using the brass guides and heavy caps since I got it. Used lightweight buttons and springs at first, but switched back to standards on both not too long ago, and think I might prefer them overall.

The square vs round tuning slide is a bit of a conundrum for me. Going to go back and forth with both, minus the XONS, and try to discern the real differences. So far, it seems the square slide is a bit brighter, while the round slide seems to let you play between slots (or within the slots) a bit more.

Raw Brass HB2 - Hammond PW
Gen II ACB Doubler Flugel - Curry 5FL
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had my 1600 nearly a year. I tried a couple different trim options recently and the results are worth asking for your experiences.

All year it's been standard buttons, brass guides, long xons, heavy cap on 3rd light springs.

Recently I tried heavy springs, plastic guides (so much quieter) and standard caps. Iteratively, not all at once. I then settled on light buttons, light caps, light springs and plastic guides.

Plastic guides do nothing but remove valve sound, in my experience.

Heavy 3rd cap tightens slots, but I prefer the richness that standard weight seems to have. Slightly brighter. I can't speak to projection as I have yet to rent a hall and bring some mics/musicians in.

Combination of standard finger buttons and standard springs blew seemingly tighter than light springs and light buttons. I tried this several times to verify. Most peculiar! The standard spring on light caps also blew tighter. Maybe I'm imagining it, but it seemed that way each time I swapped about.

I'm going to try remove the xons and see how that is, as when I fitted them it was on recommendation and I can't say I noticed a big difference.

I'd like to hear any of your experiences of the 1600 horn and the trim kit.

Mike

crose
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2015 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Light finger buttons - just like the feel of the metal

Springs? - not sure - what came in it

I do not care for the metal guides - very noisy and did not notice much a sound difference.

Square slide - don't care for the rounded

Heavy bottom caps - do not use them - tried lots of combinations (just 3rd/1&3/all 3) They change the horn and not sure how. Slots are changed but feels very different. For some reason they make me crack notes (tighter slots?) Also make the horn sound dead - not necessarily darker. Tried them many times. Horn slots well as it is and I like it to sound like a trumpet - not a cornet

I use my horn for everything and love how it plays.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 17 of 21

Jump to: