• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Roger Ingram Model Jupiter XO Trumpet 1600I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

altamira_28 wrote:
Well, over 7 years later, it's still one of my favorite horns. I'm actually using it in a rehearsal tonight. I'm playing mainly on a 1602LTR because they needed a lightweight model artist, and I actually like the horn, but I'm never getting rid of my beautiful 1600i. Still great horns, and I'd recommend them to anyone.

Josh

Josh, at one point I had thought that I wanted to get back to a Bach for the purposes of blending and getting a bit more of a "classical" sound, for whatever that's worth. I even went so far as to buy a Strad, put on a custom leadpipe, and that sort of thing.

Ultimately I keep going back to the Jupiter 1600i Ingram, and for the sole reason that it just plays well for me. I was able to get the sound I was looking for when I took a chance on an ACB 3B mouthpiece - that piece darkened my sound up for the legit playing I do.

At the end of the day, most laypersons don't have a clue about anything regarding a trumpet's sound other than that it is, in fact, a trumpet, so past that, I don't worry about it.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to resurrect this thread with an observation I made tonight.

There are two intonation quirks I've never liked about my Jupiter 1600I:

1. 4th line D is flat
2. 1st ledger B natural above the staff is sharp

I've been fiddling around with a new mouthpiece a bit - the Yamaha Bobby Shew Lead. I've had some success with it, but it's TIGHT.

With that in mind I got a wild hair to try out the more rounded tuning slide. I'd always remembered it feeling a bit more open, although I also felt that the slotting wasn't quite as defined as with the squared standard "D" shaped tuning slide.

The surprising observation is that both the 4th line D and the upper B natural seemed to be improved/corrected. The D sits pretty much where it's supposed to without feeling low, and the B seems to center really well and is lower than the B with the squared tuning slide.

Right now this is anecdotal and I did it at the end of a practice, so I have nothing empirical to back up that observation, but I'll be testing it in a bit more detail in the next few days.

The other added benefit is that with the tighter backbore of the Bobby Shew Lead, the horn no longer feels quite so tight as it did before.

Is this a winning combination? Dunno - time will tell I suppose.

In other news I recently ordered a Ken Titmus RT2 backbore to try with my Warburton cup - it's supposed to be a bit tighter and more efficient than the KT, but that's another story for another day.
- ACB Doubler

"95% of the average 'weekend warrior's' problems will be solved by an additional 30 minutes of insightful practice." - PLP
JonathanM
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^ Good news!

In general, I'm a believer that there is certainly a 'best' mouthpiece for every horn and player... Finding them is the challenge. With Flugels, I defintely believe this; the right mouthpiece for a flugel can make a tremendous difference. So I have Benge mouthpieces, Marcinkiewicsz, Curry, Reeves, Yamaha, and so on. With trumpets the right mouthpiece is not quite so glaringly obvious, but I still believe it can make a big difference.

I personally believe that a lot of horns are sold not only because the owner and the horn don't match - but that they don't match because the 'best' mouthpiece isn't in the mix.

Again, good news. Keep us informed with the updates.
Puje: American Belle
Cornet: Olds Recording & Super
HillBilly Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the same thing with all of the XO horns I had tried, 2 different ingrams and a 1602LTR ( I think that's what it was called?). Could never get the D to be anything other than FLAT FLAT FLAT and ditched them.
Manchester Brass Pocket Trumpet
GR 62Z**, ACB TAZF
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HillBilly Joe wrote:
I found the same thing with all of the XO horns I had tried, 2 different ingrams and a 1602LTR ( I think that's what it was called?). Could never get the D to be anything other than FLAT FLAT FLAT and ditched them.

Yep - with the standard tuning slide that D sits super low. Those two notes - the D and the B - are the reasons I'm actually kinda shopping for a different trumpet, but I may not have to if the rounded slide corrects the problem.
- ACB Doubler

HillBilly Joe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Understandable - I couldn't deal with the olympics required to try to keep those notes close, so I gave up. Why fight with the gear, find something that works with you, not against. The newest fleet of Yamaha custom horns are a nice place to start. I had the new Shew, and the new bergeron, and settled on the bergeron. Had it for a year and half or so, it's the last horn I'll buy. No intonation issues anywhere.
Manchester Brass Pocket Trumpet
GR 62Z**, ACB TAZF
claf

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trickg wrote:
The other added benefit is that with the tighter backbore of the Bobby Shew Lead, the horn no longer feels quite so tight as it did before.

The 1600i definitely needs a "tighter" mouthpiece.
Either for classic or commercial, it sounds better with a slightly tighter config that I would use on a bigger trumpet.
ldwoods
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, if anyone is interested in getting their own Jupiter Ingram, there is one listed in the marketplace. Looks like the same listing is also on ebay if one doesn't trust marketplace.
trickg
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ldwoods wrote:
FYI, if anyone is interested in getting their own Jupiter Ingram, there is one listed in the marketplace. Looks like the same listing is also on ebay if one doesn't trust marketplace.

IMO that's a good price - I also like that it's one of the early models with the fancier engraving on the bell.

I've had mine for a while and it has been a solid trumpet. I posted my story about it a good bit earlier in this thread (I think?) where I sold a Schilke B6 and switched to the 1600I for the main reason of finding a trumpet with tighter slotting. I know some guys really like the B6, but I was all over the place on mine, and the Jupiter made me sound like a better player. It certainly made me a more accurate player!
- ACB Doubler

TJTS

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one an early model in Silver for sale if anyone is interested. They are indeed really cool horns. Nice full sound and for me it is on the brighter side of the sound spectrum. They blow really even since it isn't a step bore. The horn is surprisingly heavy as well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21
Page 21 of 21

Jump to: