• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Roger Ingram Model Jupiter XO Trumpet 1600I

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2010 8:26 pm    Post subject: Growing on me Reply with quote

Quote:
So Yammie, now that you've had a couple of weeks under your belt, what are your thoughts on the horn?

I'm liking it, and my section mates have commented that they also like it both in testing it themselves and in my results with it. I feel like I've got a litttle more room under the gas pedal than my Connstellation 36B, but I still have the eficiency of a medium bore horn. I'm also pleased with the middle register of the horn, it feels to me like there's a little more body there. I don't know if that's the standard weight construction, the slightly bigger bore for me, or both.

It's currently at Osmun Music for a Jim Becker PVA, scheduled around my gig calendar! On its way back home Monday....it's not like I don't have other horns to play, but I miss it

Once it gets back, I'll venture into testing the True Bore inserts.
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Growing on me Reply with quote

Yammie wrote:
Quote:
So Yammie, now that you've had a couple of weeks under your belt, what are your thoughts on the horn?
It's currently at Osmun Music for a Jim Becker PVA, scheduled around my gig calendar! On its way back home Monday....it's not like I don't have other horns to play, but I miss it

Did it need a PVA, or are you having it done just because?
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Personal preference Reply with quote

Quote:

Perhaps no horn NEEDS a PVA, but I have them done on all my horns that are destined for gigging. In this case, I'm curious to see what the before numbers are and compare them to some new Yamahas I've bought. I don't personally have the equipment of the patience to check them myself - I outsource and use the time I saved to practice (and that's not directed at YOU ).
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope Bill doesn't mind but I had a chance to play his Ingram horn before Jim Becker did his magic. He asked me to go to Osmun and play it and give my impressions.

I have to say this is one VERY good horn for the money. It's definitely a testament to show how much better Jupiter quality has gotten over the years. The horn felt good (a bit heavy) in the hand with decent balance. Valve and slide action was excellent. I liked the subtle touches of the finish. The laser engraving perhaps could be a bit deeper.

The horn played VERY well. A nice even blow throughout all registers. I put the D slide in and didn't try the rounded crook (never been a fan). The horn slotted great to Double C with my 1.5 C in. Excerpts sounded great (even from me) and jazz on the horn was smooth and free. I popped my Shew 1.75 in and it just sizzled above high C. Slotting was excellent. Pitch was very good. I could have been better on the D and Eb. Perhaps Jim's magic will fix that.

I was impressed overall. For the money it's a great horn. It easily rivals horns like the Shew 8310Z and the Schilke B6. I liked the blow a bit more than those. All in all it was a pleasant experience!

I can't in all fariness compare it to my Shires. I played one note on my Shires and chuckled (to be honest the Shires has outplayed every horn I've tried including a Monette P3 STC valued at 15,000US).

T
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
jonalan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great feedback guys, thanks. The more I hear about this horn, the more I can't wait to get my hands on one to try.
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 5:41 pm    Post subject: Hmmm.... Reply with quote

Trent said...

Quote:
I can't in all fariness compare it to my Shires.

I'll assume that's a typo, Tinkerbell

Thanks for checking it out, Trent. In my view, it's great to get feedback on real production horns rather than show demos so I appreciate you making the trip. And given your playing and your sensitivity...and, ahem, familiarity with...equipment changes, it's valuable feedback!

The D is the staff felt low to me, and I verified with my tuner it's a couple of cents low. Probably an equal factor is that the D is a little high on my Connstellation 36B and I got used to adjusting it. I'm curious to see if the alignment impacts it on the Jupiter.

Naturally, in the interests of double blind testing, I feel obligated to pick up a Shires Lightweight and an Adams flugel just to make sure I agree with Trent. No, really, it's not because I WANT to, I just feel it'd be impolite to not return the favor
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmm.... Reply with quote

Yammie wrote:
Trent said...

Quote:

'Tinkerbell Austin'.... hmm....nah, the sparly pink tutu just wouldn't do it.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmm.... Reply with quote

_Daff wrote:
Yammie wrote:
Trent said...

Quote:

'Tinkerbell Austin'.... hmm....nah, the sparly pink tutu just wouldn't do it.

Sorry, must have had a star-trek moment. I just sold my Tutu's to the circus.
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you didn't sell the wand. Gotta have the wand.
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Personal preference Reply with quote

Yammie wrote:
Quote:

Perhaps no horn NEEDS a PVA, but I have them done on all my horns that are destined for gigging. In this case, I'm curious to see what the before numbers are and compare them to some new Yamahas I've bought. I don't personally have the equipment of the patience to check them myself - I outsource and use the time I saved to practice (and that's not directed at YOU ).

I'm curious to. Please post the results of those numbers.
trumpetangel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious how the Ingram Jupiter will compare to my Callet Sima?
goldenhornplayer
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trumpetangel wrote:
I'm curious how the Ingram Jupiter will compare to my Callet Sima?

I should be able to comment on that in about 30 days. A local friend has one coming in about then and I will have a chance to A-B it. He has already played both and, in his opinion, the Ingram horn was about 80% compared to the SIMA. That particular comparison was between my SIMA and Roger's own 1600i. Even then, the two horns weren't played back-to-back in similar conditions so I have to wonder about the accuracy of such a statement.

To me, comparing horns is just so subjective. I don't expect we will all agree, ever. I must say, to this point, I have never played a horn that suits me personally quite as well as the SIMA but that could certainly change in the future. There comes a point where a particular horn is plenty good and the rest is up to how we play it. No doubt, there are a number of horns out there that fit that criteria. --Ken B.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

goldenhornplayer wrote:
There comes a point where a particular horn is plenty good and the rest is up to how we play it. No doubt, there are a number of horns out there that fit that criteria.

And an even (much) greater number of players!

v
Yammie
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:12 am    Post subject: Post-PVA Reply with quote

I got my 1600I back from Jim Becker at Osmun Music in record-breaking time - he did the alignment the same day he got it and had it in the next day's UPS pickup. You can't beat that kind of service.

I forgot to ask for the before and after numbers, but my impression was the valves as delivered were not quite as far out of alignment as my most recent 8310Z purchase. I do feel like the alignment has made an improvement in the overall blow - it feels a hair more open and the D in the staff is improved, and the high register slots a little better, especially the high A which is a note that traditionally requires alternate fingerings for me on every horn.

This stuff is entirely subjective and everyone's results are different (notes slot differently for everybody), but I feel like this horn is such an incredible bargain that an alignment and general health check is a good investment - and I've still got less money in the horn that WWBW's asking price.

I can't say enough about Jim's quality of work and the speed with which he turned my horn around - he knew I had some gigs coming up and sent it in during the one open window I had, and he took care of business. Thanks, Jim!
mpo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you say the difference is between the 8310z and the 1600i now that you have had the horn for a while. I am looking for comparisons in the blow. I currently play the 8310z but am always looking for good alternatives. I am still trying to find a local retailer that has a 1600 for trial.
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmm.... Reply with quote

Yammie wrote:
Trent said...

Quote:

The D is the staff ...

I'll assume that's a typo.
cb3
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:59 am    Post subject: ok Reply with quote

Yammie wrote:
I got my 1600I back from Jim Becker at Osmun Music in record-breaking time - he did the alignment the same day he got it and had it in the next day's UPS pickup. You can't beat that kind of service.

I forgot to ask for the before and after numbers, but my impression was the valves as delivered were not quite as far out of alignment as my most recent 8310Z purchase. I do feel like the alignment has made an improvement in the overall blow - it feels a hair more open and the D in the staff is improved, and the high register slots a little better, especially the high A which is a note that traditionally requires alternate fingerings for me on every horn.

This stuff is entirely subjective and everyone's results are different (notes slot differently for everybody), but I feel like this horn is such an incredible bargain that an alignment and general health check is a good investment - and I've still got less money in the horn that WWBW's asking price.

I can't say enough about Jim's quality of work and the speed with which he turned my horn around - he knew I had some gigs coming up and sent it in during the one open window I had, and he took care of business. Thanks, Jim!

Great that the horn plays well for you but I still think it's such a shame that any new horn would need a PVA.
mpo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: ok Reply with quote

cb3 wrote:

Great that the horn plays well for you but I still think it's such a shame that any new horn would need a PVA.

According to Bob Reeves and KO (at that time) they all do, look here:

http://www.bobreeves.com/services/valve_alignment/misalignment.pdf
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hmmm.... Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Yammie wrote:
Trent said...

Quote:

The D is the staff ...

I'll assume that's a typo.

I'm a typo-machine lately. too many high notes!

Last edited by TrentAustin on Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
swing95
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Post-PVA Reply with quote

[quote="Yammie"]
Thanks, Jim![/quote
It doesn´t change my mind. Why do we need to send a new horn to a third part for additional work? Why Jupiter can not do the job ? It does not make sense to me. May be I am wrong. May be because, mostly of the time I think the probem is with me not with the horn I play.
Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 5 of 21

Jump to: