• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

mouthpiece suggestions for Schilke D/Eb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
janet

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:02 am    Post subject: mouthpiece suggestions for Schilke D/Eb Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'd love some suggestions of mouthpieces to try on my Schilke D/Eb trumpet (an E3L).

I'm pretty ignorant about mouthpieces and equipment - for years I've almost always just played on my Bach 1 1/4C for the Bb and C trumpets, and a Hoefner 7HP for the picc - I'm very happy with both. I play with a fairly round sound.

I'm borrowing a Monette E12 and on the Eb side I'm very impressed with it, especially how it immediately seemed to fix some intonation issues I'd been having on the horn. It has a nice tone and the notes slot in very "true". BUT it feels a kinda big for me, and for what I'm aiming for on the Eb/D (sound and size). I'm wondering about a Monette E2, especially as I like my 1 1/4 C and it sounds like that's comparable. Any thoughts, or alternate suggestions (especially perhaps suggestions that don't cost quite as much as a Monette...)?

Also, the E12 doesn't work so well for me on the D side of the horn (I know, I know, Monette mouthpieces are only meant to be used on the horn they're designed for!). So, I'm also looking for suggestions of something that'll work well on the D side of the horn. Could be one mouthpiece for both Eb and D, could be one for each.

Lastly - I'm in Seattle: any suggestions on where I can try a bunch of mouthpieces, other than by inviting myself over to various gearhead friends places?

thanks for your thoughts,

Janet
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you having any problems playing the 1 1/4C on the Eb? That would be the first thing I'd try.

I too really like the Monette Eb mouthpiece, but I find that it's a little too chunky sounding for solo work (though an AWESOME tool for orchestarl or quintet lit). It is also rather inadequate on the D side (and I can't make myself buy another Monette in D).

For the solo lit or any time I use the D side, I use either a Bach 1 1/2 C 27 10 (my usual Bb/C mouthpiece is a 1 1/2 C 24 78) or a Reeves 43C with a Bach 1 1/2 C rim for anything that requires I be a little lighter on my feet. The 43C is very similar to a Bach C cup, but something about the setup comes out a (very) little bit brighter and is just a bit easier to play on in the upper register.

Finally, have you had your valves aligned yet? I know that ALL of the major intonation problems on both of my Schilkes went away as soon as Mr. Reeves had his way with them. I went there thinking I was going to get an alignment and then drop $300 on a custom piece, but then it turned out that my Bach worked just fine (I bought the Monette used some time later at a great price, and got the Reeves originally for pit work on the Bb).
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swingintrpt wrote:
Are you having any problems playing the 1 1/4C on the Eb? That would be the first thing I'd try...

I mainly use 1B-22/24 and 1C-22/24 m.pieces on C and Bb tpts, but love the 1 1/4C with standard b.bore & throat for Eb. It works great for me.
You might want to give it a longer try; maybe you don't need to look any further...

MvW.
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for reference, I like the Monette B2 rim. I also find that the Bach 1-1/4 rim is comfortable. The Monette B1-2 rim is terrible for me though -- much too flat and sharp. If you like the 1 1/4, I'd try the Monette 2 out.
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got an E3L yesterday (love it!). I picked one out of 3 based on sound and response. Intonation on the 3 horns seems pretty similar. All of them were low on the 4th partial when using my usual Monette B3 mouthpiece and benefit from staying on the 5th partial for most of the notes between C# and top space E.

Is this the usual problem range for intonation on an Eb? Is this the range that the valve alignment helped? (referring to post above)

I'll probably order a Monette E3 to go with it, mainly to assist with the range between top space G and high C on the horn (concert Eb). Not sure whether the Prana or Classic would be a better choice for the Schilke. I'm leaning to the Classic to keep the tone more focused at lower dynamic levels for solo work (what I got the horn for).

Any advice?

Thanks.
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richj50 wrote:

Is this the usual problem range for intonation on an Eb? Is this the range that the valve alignment helped? (referring to post above)

No. This is what happens when you use a B-series Monette in an Eb horn. But, it is possible that there is also an alignment issue in your horn. Get the Eb mouthpiece (if you're going to stick with Monettes for sure) and then try it. I'm betting that, just like when you got the B3 for the Bb, the 4th partial (and all the rest of them) goes more or less back when it's supposed to be.

In the meantime, try a a standard Bach 1 1/2C. I found the Bach to actually play MORE in tune on different keyed instruments than the Bb Monette (which is shorter...funny how that works).

Finally, as far as alignment goes: Schilke uses big fluffy felts which are designed to compress to the correct thickness over time - this means that out of the box, Schilkes have pretty funky alignment on purpose. When I had my Eb and my picc aligned, the difference (on horns that I already knew to be really good examples of that horn) was like going from a marginally OK Bach to a REALLY GOOD Bach - the sound opened up, the response (already very good) improved significantly, what small intonation issues there were basically vanished. It was a really exciting change. Now, my understanding (based on playing older Schilkes w/o alignments) is that most of this change will happen slowly over time, but I wanted my horns to play well NOW, and I want them to always play well. I get Reeves alignments as a matter of course, and there was no reason the small horns should be any different.
richj50
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swingintrpt wrote:
Finally, as far as alignment goes: Schilke uses big fluffy felts which are designed to compress to the correct thickness over time - this means that out of the box, Schilkes have pretty funky alignment on purpose. When I had my Eb and my picc aligned, the difference (on horns that I already knew to be really good examples of that horn) was like going from a marginally OK Bach to a REALLY GOOD Bach - the sound opened up, the response (already very good) improved significantly, what small intonation issues there were basically vanished. It was a really exciting change. Now, my understanding (based on playing older Schilkes w/o alignments) is that most of this change will happen slowly over time, but I wanted my horns to play well NOW, and I want them to always play well. I get Reeves alignments as a matter of course, and there was no reason the small horns should be any different.

When I looked at the valve alignment with the 2nd slide out, I noticed exactly what you are talking about. The ports don't align with the slide unless you completely compress the felt. It would make much more sense to have hard rubber and then have them align perfectly with less pressure on the valve. If you get a Reeves alignment, does he do away with the factory felts and use something else?

Thanks.

EDIT: I just looked at Reeves' website and I see that they do replace the felts. Hmm... I might have to send my horn in. Wish they weren't so far away (other coast). Are there East Coast shops that can do this competently?
qcm
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

richj50 wrote:
EDIT: I just looked at Reeves' website and I see that they do replace the felts. Hmm... I might have to send my horn in. Wish they weren't so far away (other coast). Are there East Coast shops that can do this competently?

Osmun Music in Arlington, MA.

http://www.osmun.com/

-Dave

Kanstuls, LA Benges and a Selmer picc.
swingintrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

richj50 wrote:

I use Reeves because I used to live about an hour away, and so I would just go on out. I have been happy enough with his services that I will continue to use his services for as long as they are available. Having said that, there are several reputable repair techs that do this sort of thing, and I'm sure you'd have similarly fantastic results with any of the biggies. Enjoy your new horn!
mikebresttrumpet

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im a big fan of monette mouthpieces on mine, I just use a C trumpet mouthpiece and it worked fine, just won a job on it anyway, but i would never say that around portland
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Mouthpieces All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: