• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Indiana University vs. Smaller Conseratory

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazzmcazz

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a senior at Indiana University school of music and I want to ask you how you felt if you attended either a small or large school like Indiana, and whether or not you would do it differently if you had the chance? I feel its tough in many ways to go to a large school esecially Indiana where there are like 15 groups and where you might have to audition for 3 different committees just to get into a group, if you have one good audition the other two committees will never really know. BUT, I must say Indiana really teaches you quickly how good you have to get and what the real world will bring you=) In many ways I couldent imagine being anywhere else! Hope to hear from a lot of you!!

[ This Message was edited by: jazzmcazz on 2003-05-30 08:06 ]
tcutrpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I chose the smaller school route 3 years ago when I started my undergrad. In some ways, I've been very happy with my decision. I've been able to play in orchestra every year and play pieces like Pictures at an Exhibition, Firebird Suite, Saint Saens Organ Symphony, Beethoven 5, Sensemaya, and many other staples in the trumpet repetoire. I've received tons of experience from playing THE orchestral rep. On the other hand, most of the trumpet studio doesn't have much desire to become a better musician and there really isn't any friendly competition for me. I am happy with my decision even though some things are less than ideal. I guess it's that way most places. For me, having the opportunity to play in the top ensembles with very good directors at a smaller school has worked well through the first 3 years of my bachelor's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out at the Univ of Hawaii, which at the time had a good, but small music department. I got a lot of playing experience and that was great. Very satisfying. Then I went to North Texas and, hellooo, walked right into the middle of the pack.

At NTSU I played less literature than at the UH because I wasn't in some of those ensembles for a while. I learned several things. First, just exactly how stiff my competition would be in the "real world". And the high quality of performers/students I had as colleagues accellerated my learning probably ten fold over the smaller school, not only because of the standards but because of what they were willing to share and the support they gave. Plus, the competetive invironment taught me a lot about survival and it gave me discipline and confidence that has kept me in good stead ever since.

I don't mean this condescendingly, but for those bound for school teaching or some other facets of music that are not as relatively competitive as performance, or some areas of composition/arranging, the smaller school might be just great. I'm not sure how fruitful the pressure and competition would be vs relaxing and enjoying the university years and playing in a myriad of ensembles. And, of course, there's always graduate school at some big gun school if one wants, at that stage, to have these other experiences.
PookDog78
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mcazz,
I went to a small school for my undergrad and went to IU for my Master's. The small school I went to had about 150 music majors (mostly Music Ed) and there were between 8 and 15 trumpet majors while I was there (I was the only performance major in the studio). I pretty much got to play in every ensemble there. I also had an excellent teacher who was always there to answer questions. And then......I went to IU for grad school.
Talk about culture shock! I realized that I did not know very much of the standard orchestral rep. (My undergrad didn't have an orchestra). I also realized people play WAY louder than I ever needed to as an undergrad. My teacher wasn't there to answer questions all the time. I only got to play in like 2 ensembles. Yet, I improved so much the 2 years I was there at IU. I think the quality of teaching is important, but the main reason I improved so much was because I was around so many other great trumpet students. They were all dedicated to the instrument and disciplined about practicing and they were all really good trumpet players. Just by being on the 3rd floor hearing all these great sounds helped me improve immensely.
You are lucky to be surrounded by monster trumpet players and 3 incredible teachers. You're absolutely right....going to IU will prepare you for the real world much better than any small school. Keep practicing and listening to your fellow trumpet players and teachers and you will be in good shape.
PH
Bill Adam/Carmine Caruso Forum Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a somewhat smaller school (Univesity of Louisville) for undergrad work. I got to play more. I was still at a big enough school to be surrounded by a peer group that included folks like John Rommel, Mike Tunnel, Dave Rogers, and Eugene King. I also had the advantage of gigging several times a week with players that were much better and more experienced than myself.

By the time I went to IU for grad school I was an experienced pro. I had still never seen anything like the 3rd floor. I learned more in my years as an IU student than I ever dreamed I could going into it. When you are ready for that kind of atmosphere it is an incredible place.

I have traveled to a lot of schools over the last 30 plus years. There is no place quite like IU.
weekendwarrior
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

On 2003-05-29 13:16, jazzmcazz wrote:
I am a senior at Indiana University school of music and I want to ask you how you felt if you attended either a small or large school like Indiana, and whether or not you would do it differently if you had the chance? I feel its tough in many ways to go to a large school esecially Indiana where there are like 15 groups and the audition process to get into the groups can be hairy and very unpredictable. I must say Indiana really teaches you quickly how good you have to get and what the real world will bring you=) Hope to hear from a lot of you!!

Jazzmcazz,

What's all the crying about? Do you think these auditions are rigged? Are these auditions behind a screen? Not getting your money's worth? Feeling like a number? Please elaborate.

I don't care how many trumpet majors are at IU. It's still a small pond compared to the "real world." When you go to an audition, there are people from all over the country - all over the world!

The Warrior

[ This Message was edited by: weekendwarrior on 2003-05-30 00:57 ]
kehaulani
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man. That's killing a gnat with a sledgehammer. I don't think the man is whining at all. Just perhaps reflecting a bit.
isabelle

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished my sophomore year at a very small music school. I love the personal attention and the atmosphere of a small school, though I do think I want to go to a larger school for my masters. The music program here is incredibly strong, despite there being only about 100 music majors, and all of the students are very dedicated and talented. I am the only trumpet performance major, and one of only 5 student trumpet players in the entire school. It is because of this, that I can be in almost every ensemble on campus. Because our music school is so small, 2/3 of our orchestra is made up of proffessional musicians, and the other 1/3 is students. We only have 3-4 rehearsals before a performance (6 performances a school year), and are required to be as prepared as the professionals in the orchestra. No small feat when many of the adult members are current or former members of the St. Louis Symphony. I am learning and experiencing so much, and I look forward to 2 more years here. There are both high and low points to attending a small vs. big music school. They both offer something that the other can't, so it's definitely a matter of personal preference. Good luck to everyone, and whatever school you choose!

~Isabelle
Bam

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McCazz-
I think what everyone is trying to say is, going to a large school is great IF you are ready for it. Going into a program like IU as a freshman can be very daunting if you are not already a very strong player. The opportunities just won't be there like they will at other smaller schools because there are so many good players there. However, going to a large school will enlighten you to the real world in a sense...I see many players who think they are great players because they are at the top of their program at a small school...although that is fine and dandy, a large school lets you have a harsh dose of reality. Get to the top of your game at IU, and you will be on your way, although as the Warrior put it, there is much beyond the college level. The audition circuit is one that no school competition can prepare you for...there's just too many good trumpet players out there.

BAM
pitchlevel
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did my BM and MM straight through at the Manhattan School of Music. We had 7 trumpet majors when I arrived and never more than 15 in any given semester. I played in orchestra every semester I was there covering tremendous rep including every Mahler symphony (did the 2nd TWICE) except the 5th. We had to play a screened orchestral audition, just like in the real world, every semester for placement. 6 months after graduation I won my first job. Most of my school colleagues do not have orchestra jobs. I hear all the time about guys who are winning jobs that went to big universitites. In the end I really think it doesnt matter where you go as long as you are studying with who you want and have the inner drive to succeed at what you are doing. You can get a degree in rocket science and as long as your teacher guides you and you practice hard you can succeed. Do what feels right when it comes to schools. Go and visit, if you get good vibes keep that in mind, take lessons with your preferred teacher before you decide who to study with. These things might sound stupid or obvious but youŽd be surprised at how many people ignore them.
greedo
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2003 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah whatever pitchlevel. we all know that there is truly only one great school that really prepares trumpet players for the real world. and that would be.....whoah, I can't believe I went there for 6 years and can't remember what the name is. Oh well. It's badass, alright??!!!
out

[ This Message was edited by: greedo on 2003-06-06 09:50 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: