• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

A 151,XXX Martin Committee is teasing me!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: A 151,XXX Martin Committee is teasing me! Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I was walking into a store close to where I live (in Brazil) and I found a 151,XXX Martin Committee trumpet.

There were clear signs of small dents, and some restoration work would be really necessary. If my memory does not fail me, the bell was slightly bending either up down. Can't remember which direction right now. It didn't look parallel.

I did not spend a lot of time with it, but it sounded very nice - regarding the tone. The valves responded well while I played it.

I saw that the finger ring on the side of the 3rd valve slide (trade mark of vintage Martins) was moved to the top of the slide, like traditional trumpets use them. I didn't like this, but I think this could be easily undone.

The overall quality of the metal seemed Ok.

Apart from that, I had no time to pull out the second valve slide and look in the ports to check the valve alignment, and to perform tests like this. I didn't test it for leaks neither.

The thing is that it's a rare trumpet, with a good serial number (151,xxx) and hard to find, specially in Brazil.

The owner left it at the store with a price tag of something like US$2,200

I think this is very expensive, specially if a restoration job must be done.
The store manager told me they would try to convince the owner to lower this price.

I have a couple of restoration services available here in Brazil. Fellow Pro trumpeters have taken their horns to these places and they are pretty much satisfied. So this is not a big deal right now when considering this opportunity.

My questions are:

1- Is it worth it to insist on this horn and to get it while it's there?

2- What would a fair price range be, considering this brief description?

3- Let's say I could wait on the restoration process and I had the chance to take this horn to the US, what's the best place to restore it?

Thanks!

Last edited by abundrefo on Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:34 am; edited 1 time in total
EdMann
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In that condition, I'd say a grand is fair, maybe a bit more, but certainly not 2200, not yet. I've had my 173xxx Committee for a couple years now, and it's my favorite small jazz horn. Good luck.

ed
cleanhead77@embarqmail
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The feeding frenzy for the right vintage Martin Committees is continuing, and serial number 151xxx is certainly one of them. As a matter of fact, with that number, is this maybe a "Handcraft"? If so, the 3rd valve finger ring on top may be stock..In any event, if you liked the tone, then the valves should be ok, so all you'd be concerned about would be the dent work and maybe moving the finger ring, which shouldn't cost much at all.How's the lacquer appearance? If not too bad, I would really try to get the horn even at $1500, perhaps a little bit more. If after the fixup you didn't like it, you could always get your money back and perhaps even make a profit. Good luck -
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a Committee in the marketplace right now. Comparable in price to the one you're looking at and it appears to be in much better shape. Additionally, its got a PVA and recent cleaning by Charlie Melk. Not mine, BTW.

http://www.trumpetherald.com/marketplace.php?task=detail&id=20065
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeyMike wrote:
There is a Committee in the marketplace right now. Comparable in price to the one you're looking at and it appears to be in much better shape. Additionally, its got a PVA and recent cleaning by Charlie Melk. Not mine, BTW.

I need to see some pictures to tell if the looks are similar, but I'm sure the one I tried needs to be repaired - at least for my needs. And this fact justifies my concern about the high price tag on this one I tried.
A.N.A.Mendez
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeyMike wrote:

Do the early ones have those Too cool water key levers?

☛ "No matter how cynical you get, it's never enough to keep up" Lily Tomlin☚
ConnArtist
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a bit high for what 1940's Committees have been selling for on ebay in USA. $1400-1700 lately for ones in decent condition with a case. If it is a handcraft, perhaps $2200 is reasonable. Of course, stores usually charge more than ebay sellers typically. I know prices are insane in Australia, so perhaps their rarity in Brazil inflates cost a little.

But if you plan to be in USA relatively soon (if my memory from reading a different TH thread has the right poster in mind), why not pick one up then?
Reynolds Onyx cornet
c. 1955? Besson 10-10 trumpet
1939 Martin Imperial Handcraft “Model 37”
1986 Bach Strad 37 ML
abundrefo
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ConnArtist wrote:
But if you plan to be in USA relatively soon (if my memory from reading a different TH thread has the right poster in mind), why not pick one up then?

Good point.

I thought about this.
But what if I cannot find a 151,XXX range Committee while I'm there?
I could always check eBay, but those would always be horns I would buy without trying. Anyway, are there considerable chances of getting a bad horn even with an eBay seller showing pretty pictures and telling a nice story about the horn?

Well, besides this, I wish I can bring a good cornet from the US, as I mention in this other TH thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: