• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Flugelhorn Recommendations

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mdiceman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played quite a few flugels and have owned several. (ALMOST had the pleasure of giving the Calicchio copper a shot). The most recent 2 are a Shew(6310ZS) which has 1 yr part-time playing time, and a NYTC California copper-bell (obtained last fall). NYTC California is a tremendous flugel. Great sound, tone, blow, intonation. I've had dozens of people from non-music folks to pros comment on the great sound). It records great, too. Great for big band, concert band, jazz combo, large or small venues. I 'obtained' it after purchasing the Shew, a good player in its own right,...which is now available to anyone.

I did the mpc hunt and have landed 2 (also fabulous) Pickett Brass pieces. The XL is deep and can be used in any setting. If you want the really warm/dark sound then the XD is perfect. I use both depending on the gig. The XD = Extra Deep (go figure) will compare in depth to the other fine mentionables above.

Good luck!
jazzothman
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2010 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best flugelhorn I had ever played so far is the Hub Van Laar Oiram model. I just received my Oiram flugelhorn about 2 weeks ago and I have never experience the best sound on flugelhorn that I ever played. I used to own the Yamaha 6310 and the Kanstul 1525 this is a good flugelhorn but once you tried the Oiram Flugelhorn it will knock you down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bilboinsa
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shofarguy wrote:
Speaking of Curry flugelhorn mouthpieces, I have this graphic from Mark showing his three different cup sizes and throats, along with Flip Oakes Standard and Extreme series. Mark's are the smaller three.
[image omitted]
Brian

Wow. Looks like you could crush the extreme like a beer can....

Schilke B2;
Kanstul 1525;
1927 Conn 22B
1970 B&H Regent
"In a hole in the ground there lived a hobbit...it was a hobbit-hole, and that means comfort."
http://www.myspace.com/schilkeb2
Member: http://xeml.buglesacrossamerica.org/
Amik Guerra

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 3:18 pm    Post subject: Flugel recomendations Reply with quote

Hey guys over there,if you want to try a amazing flugelhorn you must llok for a Adams flugelhorn.
the new custom series is just amazing,the velvet sound of a old couesnon without any pitch problems or valves.
the valves are Bauerfein valves(the company was overtooked by Adams last year)
just take a look here...
http://www.adams-music.com/nl/blaasinstrumenten/custombugel/
Adams A4 Trumpet/Monette STC3 BL3 and B2,Schilke HW13A4A
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bilboinsa wrote:
shofarguy wrote:
Speaking of Curry flugelhorn mouthpieces, I have this graphic from Mark showing his three different cup sizes and throats, along with Flip Oakes Standard and Extreme series. Mark's are the smaller three.
[image omitted]
Brian

Wow. Looks like you could crush the extreme like a beer can....

Doug,

I've never tried to play my flugelhorn using a beer can instead of a mouthpiece, so I can't comment. I guess if you drink a few of those beers first, it might work... Anyway, it sounds like you're using WAY too much pressure!

Hey you can do a double-blind test to try out your theory. Here's how: Buy a Flip Oakes Extreme in your size rim and also a big case of your favorite, best sounding beer. Drink enough of the beer that you can't tell the difference between a can and the mouthpiece. If you don't like to blindfold your eyes, drink a few more beers and it won't matter.

Next pick up one of the test subjects and smash it against your forehead. Next try the other test subject. If they both crush, then you know you're right.

BTW, they call this the "double-blind" test, because of the long line of scientists who missed their foreheads twice before hitting the target, if you know what I mean.

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian's post is probably the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Thanks for that, was in a dark mood today.
Mark Bradley
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of very good flugels out there but since this thread is "Flugelhorn Recommendations" I submit for consideration the new NYTC Broadway flugel, done in cahoots with the fine folks of Taylor Instruments in England. It's a flugel, and I recommend it!
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark Bradley wrote:
Lots of very good flugels out there but since this thread is "Flugelhorn Recommendations" I submit for consideration the new NYTC Broadway flugel, done in cahoots with the fine folks of Taylor Instruments in England. It's a flugel, and I recommend it!

Shades of Serling!!
miles71
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a NYTC Cal. Copper bell flugel and got to spend about two weeks with the Broadway Flugel from NYTC. Both these instruments are tremendous and play as well as any Bb I have played. The tone is deep and dark and the feel is very even, like NYTC horns

TD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: