• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Did Yamaha make Conn student horns?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ohiotpt
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:15 am    Post subject: Did Yamaha make Conn student horns? Reply with quote

My son gets a text from a HS friend asking if I might have some Yamaha horns for her to try out. While I try to keep a fair supply of horns around for the local students, I don't have any Yammies.

Then it hit me. She plays a Conn Cornet made in Japan. I remember I couldn't find a model name/number when I helped her fix up a valve. However being an older model made it Japan, could she ALREADY be playing a Yamaha?

Thanks for any input.

-fred
KansasTrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes sir! That is a yamaha. The holton instruments that say made in japan are also Yamaha.

www.DQsCustomShop.com

Find me on Facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Del-Quadro-Custom-Trumpets/188607601169514
Lboretrumpets
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a Yamaha 2335 with some different trim... Conn, Holton, and some others are done by Yamaha. Bach baritone's are also made by them... I think it's the Yam 231 model...
plankowner110
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lboretrumpets wrote:
It's a Yamaha 2335 with some different trim... Conn, Holton, and some others are done by Yamaha. Bach baritone's are also made by them... I think it's the Yam 231 model...

Both King 601 and Conn 23B student trumpets are manufactured in the Eastlake, Ohio plant. They are identical horns (.462 bore, shared valve casing, etc. based on the King 601) except for cosmetic differences. The Holton student horn (.460 bore, Holton valve casing, etc.) is quite different and might still be made in Wisconsin. It has been many years since Yamaha built student horns for Conn.
https://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26763
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 31, 2011 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The YamaConns were made in 1971, and bear a P-XXXX or P-XXXXX serial number.

There may be other years Conn outsourced to Yamaha, have no knowledge of what came after 1971, but the intention was for student Conns to be made in the Abilene factory after 1971.
Since all other motives—fame, money, power, even honor—are thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it.” Wayne Booth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: