• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Jinbao piccolo (John Packer)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am amazed that it was good as it was since it was recorded with a phone! You can hear the audio clipping so I would never hold any of that against you or the trumpet! This was obviously a combination of new gear and bad electronics as in for the job at hand! I look forward to hearing it again once you are used to it, find the right MP and have some better recording gear!

I need to get a new USB mic myself. My ancient studio mic's are not worth converting and I do not have a black box to use that will make them usable off USB. My mic got ran over in the church parking lot!

I use my laptop to record stuff! I am looking these two models due to low price and USB ready $69 from Amazon Behringer C-1U CAD U37 for $49 I am going to ask about them in the gear section!
heik

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2011 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi folks,
who are the dealers for these piccolo trumpets in the US? Does anybody know if they have a C piccolo as well?
Thanks all,
HKS
JediYoda

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heik wrote:
Hi folks,
who are the dealers for these piccolo trumpets in the US? Does anybody know if they have a C piccolo as well?
Thanks all,
HKS

A -- C Pic --- now thats a new one...l.l
Yamaha custom Piccolo Trumpet
Besson Eb/D trumpet
Olds Ambassador -- circa `1959
Bach G trumpet Bach Hearald Trumpet
jkarnes0661
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dillon Music sells these pics. They also do a little service on them first to fix a few of the factory problems so you're getting a better horn from them than you would from one of the Ebay dealers.

I took a chance and got one of these from an Ebay dealer ($100 less than Dillon's price at the time). Pic came in great shape cosmetically but had a few mechanical issue that had to be addressed. Primary among them was the alignment of the rotary valves. They were waaaaaay off. Around 10-15 degrees of rotation in both directions. A razor blade, some careful checking, and 1.5 hours later and they were well aligned. Took care of some squirrely intonation on a few notes. I also had to do a little adjusting on the rotary linkage to get the 3rd valve to move freely.

Overall I really like the horn for the money I spent on it, though I also have a Yamaha 9830 which is what I use as my main pic. I have found the JinBao rotary pic has a slightly better (easier) high F, a broader, less piercing tone quality than the Yamaha, and it's easier to blend with others playing larger horns. I've used it for a couple gigs for that reason. I picked up a Scherzer A pipe from someone on this site and that improved intonation a bit. Overall the intonation is not as solid as my Yamaha and as a result, I'm hesitant to use it for fast moving baroque literature. For long sustained stuff, its easy to get the pitches in tune.

Great back up horn or a good starter horn for someone just picking up the piccolo for the first time. I found it a great introduction to rotary trumpets and it's definately made me consider picking up a Scherzer or the Yamaha rotary at some point.

To the best of my knowledge they are not making a C pic (a la Blackburn etc.) at this point, though that's something I'd definately be interested in.
heik

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jon, Apreciatte it!
Brian Moon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Jinbao piccolo (John Packer) Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
Hey all,

Link

Thanks guys, take care!
Mike

Video is private now?

ObamaCare, a massive government takeover, a measure destroying jobs and the economy, a law designed to enslave the American people, an instrument of tyranny in the hands of criminal elitists.
kang-ling

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jinbao piccolo (John Packer) Reply with quote

bach_again wrote:
Hey all,

Just posting my initial impressions of the JP 154 rotary Bb/A piccolo trumpet. It was bought from John Packer in England. I bought this after reading Gordon Hudson's great reviews and play tests. I believe Trent Austin pitched in on trumpet master about this horn and agreed that for the money it was good!
Mike

after six years: you still have this china picc.??
what is your opinion of it now??

www.myspace.com/markusbreuss
MRtpt

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Piccolo Tpt Reply with quote

I still have my Dillon (5 yrs) and it still works great. It has a broader sound to my ears than a Stomvi I had for a while - more effort to play though. Plays much easier than a Selmer I compared it with but it doesn't have the Selmer sound either. I love it in A, in B-flat not so much.

MR
Schilke G1
Selmer Eb
Courtois Flugel
kang-ling

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Piccolo Tpt Reply with quote

MRtpt wrote:
I still have my Dillon (5 yrs) and it still works great. It has a broader sound to my ears than a Stomvi I had for a while - more effort to play though. Plays much easier than a Selmer I compared it with but it doesn't have the Selmer sound either. I love it in A, in B-flat not so much.

MR

thanks!
are you talking about the rotary picc. ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: