• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

First Piccolo Trumpet

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:36 pm    Post subject: First Piccolo Trumpet Reply with quote

Hi all. I'm looking to purchase my first ever piccolo trumpet. What would you recommend? Best quality for the price? I'm looking in the range of 500 (more or less). I know those used Getzen Eterna 4 valves Piccolos are decent...Oh, and any words of wisdom on playing piccolo trumpet are certainly welcomed and received!
royjohn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2016 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Jones sells a customized version of a decent picc from China, kind of like the Dillon offering. You can reach Bill at <info@brasschambermusic.com>. IDK what the current price of these is. Bill is also a good one for advice and will not steer you wrong for a sale.

I played one of Bill's piccs a few years ago and A-B'ed it with a Schilke P5-4 and it played nearly as well as the Schilke, which was a tad warmer.

Picc is a real PITA, though. Haven't you got anything else to do? Flugel? Cornet? C trumpet? Ready to do weddings? Then it's useful.
Cornet: 1970's Yamaha YCR-233S . . . and others . . .
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A condensed version of the PM I just sent - keep your eye out for a good condition used Getzen Eterna 4-valve. I got mine for under $600 on Ebay, I've seen them go for under $500. Probably the best bang/buck you're going to find.
Bundy
Chinese C

Getzen Eterna Bb/A piccolo
Chinese Rotary Bb/A piccolo

Chinese Flugel
Dayton
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Getzen Eterna 4-valve piccolo trumpet is a really nice horn. I purchased one and played it throughout my college years. You'll need to be patient if you want to find a used one in your price range. I'd say that you are more likely to find them closer to $1,000 and up (and considerably higher for more popular models from Bach, Schilke, Yamaha).

Worth noting that the older Getzen Eternas had cornet shank leadpipes. Not sure when they switched to trumpet shank leadpipes, but if you get an older model Eterna you may need to purchase a cornet mouthpiece to use with the picc.

Good luck!
TrumpetMD
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dayton wrote:
The Getzen Eterna 4-valve piccolo trumpet is a really nice horn. I purchased one and played it throughout my college years. You'll need to be patient if you want to find a used one in your price range

+1

I have a Getzen Eterna 4-valve picc, which I purchased used about 7 years ago in like-new condition for $500. For an occasional picc player like myself, I find the Getzen works great. I find the trumpet-shank leadpipes area easier to play in tune, compared to the cornet-shank leadpipes. The newer models come standard with Blackburn leadpipes, which are suppose to be even better.

Mike
Plus a few other Bach, Getzen, Olds, Carol, HN White, and Besson horns.
Bryant Jordan
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Thanks for the advice. I'll keep an eye out.
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a reference point mine is SN BP4XXX and has trumpet shank leadpipes. Mine came with a Najoom A and Getzen Bb pipe.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
LittleRusty
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert,

What music have you performed your pic?
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LittleRusty wrote:
Robert,

What music have you performed your pic?

Me?

Performed or worked on? I haven't performed anything in public as of this time. I got a picc because I'd never played one and wanted to try it.

I've worked on the Telemann a bit, Penny Lane, the Reiche Abblasen, scales and other calisthenics.
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
Turkle
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first piccolo is a B&S stencil. I play the Curry 3P. cornet mouthpiece with a trumpet/cornet adapter, as the horn only came with trumpet leadpipes.

I bought it about 3 months ago in order to play James Stephenson's "Vignettes." There's a lively little movement for piccolo and tambourine (!) called "My Dinner With Andre."

I found the above combination extremely easy to play. I don't play a lot of piccolo, but I have personally found this one as easy as picking up any of my other trumpets. I paid $1100 for the pic. Everyone loved our performance.

(It's lucky for me that the piece tops out at an E, because I really haven't figured out how to nail the F on that horn yet...)
Robert P
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You had asked about the cheap Chinese Schiller rotary piccs. As it happens one of the TH users Gordon Hudson has a number of videos up on Youtube of him playing what's essentially the Schiller rotary picc under a different name. The audio quality isn't superb but it gives you an idea. Obviously Gordon is a fairly advanced player.

https://www.youtube.com/user/hostroute/search?query=Piccolo+
Bundy
Chinese C

Chinese Flugel
ravel
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2016 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get an old seller Bb/A. Pay whatever it takes to restore it to new. You'll have a horn that's better than anything sold today new......
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a Getzen at the right price - go for it.
Did my first Brandenburg on a (borrowed) Getzen and it brings back many happy memories every time I see one.

As for tips on piccolo - don't use Brandenburg as your first piccolo piece (only a fool would do that, as I did, lol).

Use familiar exercises and get to know the instrument, just as you would with a new Bb/C or whatever.
Don't spend too long on piccolo each session (10 minute bursts are good).
Don't use piccolo for "range-extension" exercises - build range on the bigger instruments and then the piccolo will be much easier.
Think of a piccolo as a floating instrument, not a power one - you don't use a piccolo to obliterate an ensemble, you just float on top and sound pretty
etc-etc
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ravel wrote:
get an old seller Bb/A. Pay whatever it takes to restore it to new. You'll have a horn that's better than anything sold today new......

Seller? Selmer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: