• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Facet Mutes - New Wooden Mutes

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frank Fezishin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 7:13 pm    Post subject: Facet Mutes - New Wooden Mutes Reply with quote

The music business is a tough one. But through our musical friends, we receive help, advice, and most of all encouragement, which makes it a lifestyle that I'm happy to have. One of my good friends, Bruce Lee, and his partner (Don Davis) are making wooden mutes, and I would like to tell you a little about them.

Like any of the rest of you, I already own many mutes, which I use for different needs. About 20-25 years ago, I came across some handmade wooden straight mutes made in Hungary by an old man. They were very special, light as feather, perfect intonation...etc, so I bought all he had at that time (four to be exact)

I gave  The New York Philharmonic 3 of them. They wanted mine, too. But, since the fellow who was making them had died, I knew that I could never replace it.

Well, I received big surprise a couple weeks ago.... a package of wooden mutes. They are all different types of wood, all beautiful, light weight.. etc. Samples of Facet Mutes (straight mutes) that Bruce wanted me to try.

I have been playing them, and I have to say that they are very special! I noticed that each one has a slight difference of sound quality, because of the wood it is made from.

Depending on what kind of music we have to play sometime we need a softer sound we can not deliver with a metal mute. That is when we need a perfect wooden mute !  For example: Gershwin, "An American in Paris", Debussy, "Fêtes",  Ravel, "Daphnis et Chloe" (Suite No.2), and especially Shostakovitch Concerto for piano (and trumpet) and Orchestra Op.35, just to name a few. I would love to hear a whole trumpet section playing on these mutes. What a special sound they would have!

I think that if you tried them, you would want to have at least one or two. I say this because I have had a hard time trying to decide on one favorite, because they all play very well. The web site where you can see them and order is www.facetmutes.com.

Musically,
Frank Fezishin

I hope nobody minds that I changed the title of my post (so I can find it). I think it works better like this.

"The Trumpet Shall Sound."

Last edited by Frank Fezishin on Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total
trpt.pete.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks really interesting something I want to try. Do you know if they will trial some or is it fairly custom like a made to order deal.
Schilke P5-4
3C 24/24 ,14b4 ,13A4, 1/2c
Bruce Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trpt.pete. wrote:
This looks really interesting something I want to try. Do you know if they will trial some or is it fairly custom like a made to order deal.

trpt.pete.,

Thanks for your interest in Facet Mutes! While they aren't exactly custom, the mutes are handmade, and they are truly individual pieces of art for artists.

The best advice that I could give anyone regarding selection is to visit our website, and read the descriptions found on our "Mutes" pages. Beyond that, I would suggest using the "Contact Form" on the website, if you would like to receive a more detailed description. From there, I will happy to answer questions or concerns that anyone has, and help guide people through the selection process.

Regarding trials, that's not something that we're able to offer at this time.

Thanks again for your interest!

Bruce
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they're good enough for Frank Fezishin, they're certainly worth a try. I just ordered mine. Thanks for posting.
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, innovative and beautiful!
Mikester
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce has been my trumpet guru for years. He has a wealth of knowledge both about playing and gear.

The Facet mute I have plays very nice. Even in all registers, does not create back much pressure, response very well to different types of attacks.

When I first brought it to big band, I let another trumpet player use it for a solo. What a head turner! Sax line spun around to see what he was playing. This particular model is great for solo's. Has a very nice tone without the harshness of a metal mute.

Regarding the comment about "An American in Paris" solo, this is a spot on mute for that application.

I will be looking for more solo applications to use this mute!

Bruce can answer questions about the particular mute I have.
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mutes look very interesting, but the mutes would be much more aesthetically pleasing if the wood was rounded out and stained.
Also, a start up operation such as this, REALLY needs to provide various clips of the mutes been played by good players. Without it, most potential buyers would not be motivated enough to buy.
_Daff
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mikester wrote:
This particular model is great for solo's. Has a very nice tone without the harshness of a metal mute.

Regarding the comment about "An American in Paris" solo, this is a spot on mute for that application.

+1 .... mine's the zebra wood version.

Bruce told me me all about how he had to hunt down those wooden zebras, and that he had to do it while no one was looking, you know, endangered species or somethng like that. Poachers!... don't trust them.
the cleaner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDude wrote:
The mutes look very interesting, but the mutes would be much more aesthetically pleasing if the wood was rounded out and stained.

Then they wouldn't be facetmutes.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,
I tried to log in on your site since I wanted to order two of your mutes, but can't proceed because my shipping address is not in the US (I'm in Spain).
Can you help?

Mike,
Would you mind telling us which one you bought?

With kindest regards,
MvW.
bebop
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:18 pm    Post subject: Facet mute Reply with quote

I also own a facet mute. Mine is a maple facet mute. I teach high school so I asked my high school trumpet players to listen for a difference in my mutes. I played the same line on my metal straight and my maple facet mute. They all said the facet was louder or projected more. I know it sounds better behind the horn than my metal straight mute but I thought it wouldn't project as good as the straight mute. I guess I was wrong. I also brought them to my one of my big band rehearsals and let the rest of the section play on them. Everyone really liked how the maple facet sounded .

I think the big deal with these mutes is that they sound good to the player , but they really project. I can't wait to try some of the other models. I also heard facet has a trombone mute, which my son wants to get.

Jim
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten van Weverwijk wrote:
Bruce,
I tried to log in on your site since I wanted to order two of your mutes, but can't proceed because my shipping address is not in the US (I'm in Spain).

Just for your information,

Through PMs, Bruce has been extremely helpful in making up my mind about choice of mutes and solving my problem when trying to log in to his site.

I'm not really looking for a soft "Fêtes" mute; I've got a couple of mutes that serve me well in that situation. However, I could do with a couple of extra sound colours for mf-fff playing, especially on rotary trumpet. The mutes I am about to order are a Zebrawood and a Bloodwood. I might want go for a third one (from the mid-range, Walnut or Maple...), but haven't made up my mind yet.

Although I'm not exactly short of mutes, the concept of the Facet series seems extremely apealing to me and I'm willing to give them a try.

A test report will take quite a while because of Holyday trips on my behalf and the time shipping to Europe takes, but I won't forget.
To be continued.

Yours,
MvW.
ThatDude
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the cleaner wrote:
ThatDude wrote:

A new name wouldn't hurt either.

Seriously, there's potential but a few changes would improve the venture.
Don Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDude wrote:
the cleaner wrote:
ThatDude wrote:

A new name wouldn't hurt either.

Seriously, there's potential but a few changes would improve the venture.

I can't possibly imagine how a reasonably priced mute could be made if the mutes were "rounded out". I personally like the natural color and character of the woods.
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make a rounded-out mute would require many more facets because turning them with the current configuration would break through the thickness before roundness was achieved. IMO, as someone who turns wood on a lathe, it would not be practical to make them with facets and then round them on the lathe. Not at a reasonable cost, anyway.
Maarten van Weverwijk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maarten van Weverwijk wrote:
...The mutes I am about to order are a Zebrawood and a Bloodwood. I might want go for a third one (from the mid-range, Walnut or Maple...), but haven't made up my mind yet.

After having had a very nice chat with Bruce over the phone (thanks for all the help!!!), I've decided on a Zebrawood, Bloodwood and a Walnut.

To be continued,
MvW.
bixtone
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just received my Zebrawood Facet cup mute, which I ordered last week after seeing this thread. I have to say it is very cool! Here's a mini-review:
First of all, the level of craftsmanship is outstanding and the mute looks great. It is beautifully put together, the joints are all all very expertly done and the zebrawood is finished in a nice light stain/finish which brings out the grain. There are five corks that are shaped to match the 'facets' of the mute body; the mute fit correctly in the horn without sanding. The mute comes with a cool velvet drawstring bag which can double as a 'crown royal' type mute if need be. It fit just fine in my Bonna double which is my usual case.

I tested the mute out with a few of my other cup mutes, including a Denis Wick, a vintage Shastock, and emo and a Ray Robinson and it compared very favorably. It has a really nice warm tone, which projects more than the Wick and is not as edgy as the Shastock. Intonation was great, and the mute does not back up on the low notes at all. It definitely sounds warmer than the metal or fiber mutes. Bruce had warned me that it might be a little heavy as the wood is very dense, but I really didn't notice it any more than with the other mutes. I use mutes all the time for the music I play (30's swing) and I think this is going to be my go-to mute.

I'm very pleasantly surprised. For 70 bucks it's a great deal, Bruce and Don's customer service was first class, which is rare enough these days. All together a good experience!
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am wondering about the chance of a facetmute surviving hitting the floor. And of the possibility of affixing a cord which could loop around your bell and prevent such should one come loose.
Bruce Lee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veery715 wrote:
I am wondering about the chance of a facetmute surviving hitting the floor. And of the possibility of affixing a cord which could loop around your bell and prevent such should one come loose.

In fact, we have tested the Facet Mutes from 4 feet, on an un-padded, thin carpet that's over concrete. From 4 feet, there was no noticeable damage whatsoever. In testing that has been done on numerous hardwood varieties of mutes, in order to select our standard line, there have been several "mute-alanches" which have occurred... and, several have hit the floor. One managed to miss the carpeting, and it suffered only a very slight depression in the wood. Incidentally, that particular mute is not in our standard line, and it weighs a full ounce (28.35 grams) more than most of the others.

60% of our wooden Facet Straight Mutes weigh less than one of my "choice" metal mutes that weighs 2.4 oz. (68 grams). I can almost guarantee that a metal mute is going to suffer noticeable damage during a fall. Additionally, it is going to tend to stay in motion after it hits the ground. A friend told me about a trumpet player whose mute traveled well beyond his reach, during a concert no less. Fortunately, he had a back-up. Our mutes, because they are flat-sided, refuse to stay "in motion".

The other day, a mute that we have nick-named "The Spruce Goose II" suffered an accidental fall from 6 feet. The damage was quite minor and easily repairable. Only because I knew where to look was I able to detect the repair. "The Spruce Goose II" weighs in at a whopping 10.2 oz. (289.2 grams). It was an early prototype of our Bass Trombone mute, which proved to be just a tad too big, and much too heavy... however, rest assured that we are now within the comfort zone for Bass Trombone and Tenor Trombone players.

Additionally, since our mutes have 5 sides, it is not likely that it is going to lose its "grip" in the bell. So, feel free to devise a loop if you want... but, we feel that you'll be able to use a Facet Mute with "no strings attached".

Ciao!
Bruce
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good answer, Bruce!! (shades of Family Feud)

I think of hardwood flooring as the typical thing found underfoot on stage. And while metal mutes will dent, wood would (sorry) probably break instead - not at the glue line either. But the construction looks robust and I imagine they'd be OK.

Hope you sell many (thousands).

Thanks.

asher
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Other Toys All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: