• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Doc Severinsen Conn Trumpet ..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbdeli
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Doc Severinsen Conn Trumpet .. Reply with quote

There is a Doc Severinsen Conn Trumpet for sale on eBay.
Did Doc actually play this horn and/or did he ever even play a Conn trumpet? Just curious. Thought he played Getzen and Bessons most of his career. Was this in his early days?

It's selling for $275 on eBay, but has over 2 days left on the auction.
HornnOOb
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe that Doc had a long standing relationship with Con back in the late 60's/70's? It's my understanding that for a time, he played Con exclusively and had a model or two named for him.

I would tend to think that the horn on eBay is a Doc severinsen model -- but not necessarily a horn that Doc personally used. Might be a collector''s item however?

Severinsen Destino 3*
1971 Getzen Eterna 900S Severinsen Model
1984 Getzen Eterna 896 Flugelhorn
1951 Olds Special Cornet

Denis Wick 1C Heavytop
Getzen Flugel 3C
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doc spent a short time as a VP of R&D for Conn after leaving Getzen. There were four Severinsen model Conns--different bells and bores. I play tested three of them in the local music store and felt like they were decent but not spectacular. They didn't sizzle quite like the Severinsen Getzen. Sort of a poor man's Bach is how I described them at the tme.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
peteb
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The model for sale on Ebay is basically a 'souped up' student horn (I don't know the details). The other Severinsen model trumpets that Conn did are professional horns (I'm currently trying to sell one) They are models SS1-SS4. These are the ones spitvalve is talking about. Good horns, but nothing spectacular in my opinion. Check out this thread for more info. http://www.trumpetherald.com/forum/viewtopic.php?topic=5586&forum=7
DA (in progress) - University of Northern Colorado
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Conn Severinsen models Reply with quote

Here's the linage... Doc had many successful years playing Getzens, very good horns still in production, and then after a short period of playing his beloved Bessons and Bachs, went to Conn because of his former Getzen association with Sandy Sandberg, maybe the best guy in the business for pro relations with a big company. Danny Henkin had purchased Conn and was trying to revive the great Conn name and still produce horns just across the Mexican border in Texas to make some dough. Macmillan publishing had all but ruined Conn prior and Mr. Henkin [with Sandy's input] hooked up with Doc for the "new" Severinsen model Conn. Larry Menick did some R&D for them and the prototypes that I played were quite good. I belive Monette also did a bit of prototype building as well, but the production models didn't exactly please Doc and the contract was soon severed [sound familiar?]. I don't see much appreciation value in the Severinsen Conns, but if it plays good for you, who cares?
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808
Albert Parrott
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Conn Severinsen models Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
Here's the linage... Doc had many successful years playing Getzens, .... Danny Henkin had purchased Conn and was trying to revive the great Conn name and still produce horns just across the Mexican border in Texas to make some dough. Macmillan publishing had all but ruined Conn prior and Mr. Henkin [with Sandy's input] hooked up with Doc for the "new" Severinsen model Conn. ........
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting              301.946.8808      end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Tony, thanks for the clarification and history of the Conn Severinsen's. Also, I thank you for pointing out that the quality of the horns that came out of Abilene was as much as anything, the fault of the owner.

Please get out a map Texas and locate Abilene. How do you equate 250 or more miles to "just across the Mexican border"??

The horns that came out of Abilene have been described as poor quality and badly built. Some were, some weren't. Abilene is located in an agrarian region, with cotton and cattle being the major products. Most of the workers hired to build horns in Abilene did not have a background in manufacturing, especially musical instruments, but they were hard working folks who certainly gave it their best effort. A days work for a days pay certainly fits those folks. Abilene certainly does not deserve the bad rap many give it after the Olds and Conn plants folded.

Al
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's 3000 words . . .

C.G. CONN Ltd. died in 1969. This is as close as it came to being reborn . . .

Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The truth is, Doc would even sound great on a vuvuzela.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
Tony Scodwell
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:03 am    Post subject: Texas Reply with quote

No slight on Abilene intended, or Texas for that matter. Point was that moving the plant there was Henkin's idea of lowering production costs. It probably sounded like a great idea at the time. I live in Nevada, which isn't quite as large as Texas, but 250 miles in my state is the next town. And for sure, Doc could sound wonderful on anything he had in his hands.
Tony Scodwell
Scodwell USA Trumpets and Flugelhorns available only from Washington Music Center, call Lee Walkowich at 301.946.8808
Greenleaf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Texas Reply with quote

Tony Scodwell wrote:
No slight on Abilene intended, or Texas for that matter. Point was that moving the plant there was Henkin's idea of lowering production costs.

All the reading I've done suggests that Henkin (a former manager of the advertising department, and new owner in 1980) was the 'savior' who brought CONN back to Elkhart. Are you saying that a decade earlier he was both in a postion of influence, and the one responsible, for the move to Abilene? Interesting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: