• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

It was bound to happen

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garrett901
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:57 am    Post subject: It was bound to happen Reply with quote

Well It happened... I passed out during a performance on Saturday at the Impulse Drum and Bugle Show. We were doing a exhibition show during a break in the performances when it happened. Last note of Your Still A Young Man. A double high "B", (which was horribly flat to begin with) then ... OUT !!! The next thing I know one of my horn line buddies was asking me if I was ok.... I was, just very embarrassed. Popped right up ( I was only on the ground for a few seconds) and got in front of the Corps and conducted our version of Bellevia !!! I've grayed out before, but never passed out. My wife told me that she forbids me to play high anymore... I compromised and said, I'll never play that song again...

I wonder how long it will take for one of my buddies to post that on you-tube ???
Kanstul G Soprano (Powerbore Bell)
Yamaha YTR-739T
Xtream XZ w/ XXX backbore GREAT MP!!!
http://freelancers-alumni.org
oxleyk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A man's got to know his limitations.

Harry Callahan
groovinhigher
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually on something like that, rare though they are, it was simply you hyper ventilated, happens in a few types of situations, body not prepared or warmed up to the stress if you jump to it cold, or too big of a breath can do it too, whereas a medium breath often is all you need, or sometimes diet, i.e. you did not eat that day, or dehydrated, or both, hungry, feeling weak, and or any or all of these in combination with simply blowing too hard.

While you should always check out any health issue possible with your doctor and have regular physicals, bring this up soon as you can see your doctor, likely it was one of the above mentioned items or a combination of some of those.

Eat right, hydrate, get enough rest, make sure you are in condition to play up there at that moment, and don't overblow or take too big of a breath in, more of a medium breath, and don't lock your knees back hard for long periods of time, that can cause people to pass out, ask anyone who has been in a military band and seen people pass out on the parade field... usually, if you are capable of playing up there, all these things can help... I have heard you, you can play up there.

Stan Mark sent a video like that into America's Funniest Videos of a similar fate and won the dough, so you never know, lol.

Get yourself checked out but likely it was just one of the above items or a combination.
www.richwetzel.com
www.facebook.com/rich.wetzel

Last edited by groovinhigher on Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:17 am; edited 1 time in total
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In MacArthur Park, a tune famous for high note playing opportunities, there is a line: "I'll never have that recipe again..". Believe it or not, it has nothing to do with a cake left out in the rain.
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to Dr Dave, and a couple other MDs who post here, this is caused by too much air pressure. The pressure restricts return blood flow to the heart, which reduces what the heart can pump to the brain. The way to fix that is to breathe more frequently, as the act of taking a breat relieves the pressure. I know this approach has worked for me.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
bach_again
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain buddy... I face planted quite hard doing something similar (though not as manly regarding the range!). My buddy saved my trumpet, but I fell on my flugel and cost myself $300 in repairs.

Michael Barkley Quartet - Portals:
https://michaelbarkley.bandcamp.com/album/portals

The best movie trumpet solo?
https://youtu.be/OnCnTA6toMU
Fleebat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you mean "You're Still A Young Man."

Call it nitpicking if you want, but that's really the equivalent of playing a wrong note & thinking it's no big deal.

Speaking of which, can anyone explain to me - and I'm serious here - why one would rather play a "horribly flat" super-high note instead of one an octave lower or somewhere else in the chord that he could actually pull off & play musically? Proving manhood? Physical challenge more important than musical considerations? In 40 years of playing, many of those years as a working pro, I've never understood this.

Aside from all that, by all means don't hurt yourself! Hope you're okay.

RR
The Kraken
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fleebat wrote:
I assume you mean "You're Still A Young Man."

Call it nitpicking if you want, but that's really the equivalent of playing a wrong note & thinking it's no big deal.

Speaking of which, can anyone explain to me - and I'm serious here - why one would rather play a "horribly flat" super-high note instead of one an octave lower or somewhere else in the chord that he could actually pull off & play musically? Proving manhood? Physical challenge more important than musical considerations? In 40 years of playing, many of those years as a working pro, I've never understood this.

Aside from all that, by all means don't hurt yourself! Hope you're okay.

RR

Maybe he just got caught up in the moment
Comeback Player end date: Till Death Do Us Part
Fleebat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happens. I'm sure my post sounded like a dig, but I honestly was trying to understand the mindset. Each of us is/was drawn to the trumpet for his own reasons, and playing really high notes wasn't on my list - but that doesn't mean it isn't valid - I just don't understand the attraction. When I do a gig or a recording session, nailing the higher stuff is almost never the most satisfying or rewarding part for me. I know a lot of people devote a huge part of their focus to it. Hmmm...

RR
garrett901
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea... It was horribly flat because I was Out cold and didn't even know it.... Everything is fine, no horn or body damage... I think Rich hit the nail on the head. We had been rehearsing all morning long in the heat (100 +) and I was doing most of the conducting so I wasn't actually playing much. Sort of came into it cold. Lack of hydration probably played the biggest part. A DH "B" normally is not too difficult a note for me to play, I actually only remember attacking it, then nothing... All last year in our version of Malaga I ended my solo with a 12 count DH "B" playing it one handed... For effect

Either way, I'm healthy, strong and undamaged in any way. Well, as so much as physical damage goes. I am a horn player, so the mental part is always in question
Kanstul G Soprano (Powerbore Bell)
Yamaha YTR-739T
Xtream XZ w/ XXX backbore GREAT MP!!!
http://freelancers-alumni.org
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regardless of all the mitigating circumstances of heat, fatigue, etc.; the mechanim that most likely caused you to pass out was too much air pressure in the body cavity which greatly reduced the blood available for your heart to pump to your brain.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
groovinhigher
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

afp wrote:
Regardless of all the mitigating circumstances of heat, fatigue, etc.; the mechanim that most likely caused you to pass out was too much air pressure in the body cavity which greatly reduced the blood available for your heart to pump to your brain.

Which I think you are more susceptable to when all or some combination of those things happen as described above. A lot of factors can come into play. Naturally we should always strive to have ourselves in a condition to not have that happen, or a video camera handy to record it, lol... seriously, thankfully you and the horn are ok bro!
www.richwetzel.com
www.facebook.com/rich.wetzel
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without question. The times we are most likely to overpressurize are when we are fatigued, dehydrated, nervous, tense, grumpy, etc. While the long term solution is to keep ourselves in top form physically and mentally, when we do find ourselves starting to gray out, quickly taking a breath will relieve all that pressure and prevent the blackout/passout. The only catch is you have to take that breath as soon as you start to go gray or it may be too late.
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
joetrumpet2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grayed out June 19 playing the Pines of Rome, 4th movement (Pines of the Appian Way) with a large orchestra. There was no doubt I had to stop playing, but after 2 bars (the "5tuple") I was ready and resumed. If it happens again I will remember the "breathe immediately" suggestion.
BigGuns
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fleebat wrote:

RR

Well my guess would be that he wasn't TRYING to play it flat. And how would he know it was going to be flat unless he went for it. Plus...that's what Drum and Bugle Corps are all about; balls to the wall in your face ear drum breaking music!
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
BigGuns
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dbacon wrote:
"balls to the wall in your face ear drum breaking music!"

Noise.

Well if your only thing is classical music, then I could see how you might think that. For those who have seen a DCI show either live or via youtube, I think we can all agree that the chills that run up and down our spine occur when the energy level is at its highest during a show, and the energy is highest when it is loud!!! Go check out some videos and then you may want to rethink your statement.

When you play balls to the wall it may be noise, but many people can get away with making music out of it.

Would you call Maynard and his band[/i]NOT balls to the wall in your face playing? I would call it that, and it certainly ain't noise to me.
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
CRJAZZMAN
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A: Some how I would have to imagine Dave has heard a drum corps at some time in his life.

B: For me personally, playing outdoor in July or August dramatically increases the possibility of graying out. It's only happened to me twice as an adult, both times performing outside in the summer playing above high C. Once on a Kenton ballad and once on Coconut Champange.
I recovered by stopping and breathing deeply but had already missed the line in the Kenton chart.
King Legend .462 in silver
Bobby Shew Lead and Flugel mpcs
Fleebat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, there are some of us who, it seems, will never see what stomping around in a pasture and playing music have to do with each other. Each is a fine thing to do on its own, I'm sure; but mixing them is kinda goofy. Well... I guess you do you get to wear those stylish outfits that look like an 18th-century military uniform modified by Helen Keller.

RR
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: