• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

It was bound to happen

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Drum Corp can be unimaginably powerful AND musical. No doubt some guys overreach and produce noise trying to reach thoses heights. But once you've experienced the rush it can be very seductive. Don't discount it until you've seen a champion corp in top form.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
Fleebat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 70s I saw the Kilties (sp?), Santa Clara Vanguard, Phantom Regiment, Cavs and many others. It impressed me then, and still does, as one of the least-musical "music" forms on earth. I think it's great that some people like it, but it strikes me as ridiculous. There is nothing whatsoever that drew me to playing music in the first place that I can find in it. Not a single element. And in the marginal corps I played in for one season, the macho, competitive, higher/faster/louder thing was a real turn-off for me. People would salivate over someone hitting a high note, or a bunch of someones if we were watching one of the heavy corps perform. Didn't matter whether the note fit, or if the tone was blatty, or it was overbalanced or out of tune - it was high, so it was cool. Yuk.

RR
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
bike&ed
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oxleyk wrote:
A man's got to know his limitations.

Harry Callahan

LOL!!!!

James B. Quick
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A trumpet player needs blood circulating to his brain? What's next? Drummers that can count? jbq
Fleebat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must be some awful drummers in other parts of the country.

Here's what we have in Music City:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lWql0q6713U&feature=related

(Listen to the whole thing... Roy Agee kills the t-bone solo, and this is the Loudhorns. Steve Patrick & Vinnie C. Go ahead... hurt yourselves on it. Actual, musical high notes. Cleanup, aisle six!):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dixLN1Iza04

RR
spitvalve
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was in high school marching band, our motto was "put your breakfast on the press box."

I still have scars on my chops.
1999 Getzen Eterna 700S
1977 Getzen Eterna 895S Flugelhorn
1969 Getzen Capri cornet
1995 UMI Benge 4PSP piccolo trumpet
Warburton and Stomvi Flex mouthpieces
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fleebat
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree, Dave. In the vernacular, as with old-school showbiz pros, who "killed" with the crowd, the term seems to serve well for me. Not at all like "killing" a note. He entertains with his artistry. Grabs the crowd and makes them feel good. He kills. Semantics. Described in any terms, Roy Agee is one of the most musical human beings I've met.

RR
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
garrett901
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We will be playing our book this year at DCA Mini Corps Competition. Friday night, Sep 3rd in Rochester NY. Come on out and hear a great MIX of different styles, from classical to jazz, pop etc... All done with brass instruments only (drums too). Trust me, were VERY musical and take great pride in the quality of our sound. You just might be surprised at what you hear. You will be surprised at what excites the crowd. Drum Corps as a whole is in a quandary right now. Most audience opinion is that we are getting away from what makes Drum and Bugle Corps, what it was (is). The Freelancers Alumni are trying to bring it back... So far, we get the best crowd response of ANY Corps on the field. Last month we had a fellow come up to us (as we were playing) with tears in his eyes professing that he thought that the music we were doing was all but dead and gone. He was so appreciative of what we were doing, it was heart warming.
Music IS universal communication, and we pride ourselves in full spectrum musical performance. That day, we made his day, and he made ours. Weather you like that type of musical performance or not, nothing can take away the special communication we shared. Isn't that what its all about?
Kanstul G Soprano (Powerbore Bell)
Yamaha YTR-739T
Xtream XZ w/ XXX backbore GREAT MP!!!
http://freelancers-alumni.org
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there is manly music and girly-man music. Guess which category DCI music falls into.............
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
mikeman7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afp wrote:
Well, there is manly music and girly-man music. Guess which category DCI music falls into.............

judging by the pretty costumes....i'm going with girl-man!!!

hey marching band types, stop trying to make music a competitive sport!! it's Art!

out,

Yamaha YTR-6335
Warburton 5D
Yamaha Custom Tenor Sax YTS-875
SR Technologies Legend Mpc (metal)
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it's not suprising a sax player would be confused about what is girly and what isn't........................
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
mikeman7
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

afp wrote:
I guess it's not suprising a sax player would be confused about what is girly and what isn't........................

LOL. classic.

Yamaha YTR-6335
Warburton 5D
Yamaha Custom Tenor Sax YTS-875
SR Technologies Legend Mpc (metal)
dbacon
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB

Last edited by dbacon on Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
INTJ
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeman7 wrote:
afp wrote:

LOL. classic.

Well at least two of us are having fun with this....................
Flip Oakes Flugel

Harrelson 5mm MP
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor if you ignore everything I say at least listen to this bit of advice.

Go to Amazon.com order a book call Isometric Power Revolution by John e. Peterson you have to look for the SPiral bound version as the soft cover is no longer sold. It is about $34 follow any one of the programs in their. It will take you about 15 minute-20 minutes a day.

Start walking 15 minutes a day everyday and slowly speed up the pace you walk at not so much the time. So 15 minutes of walking a day and 15-20 minutes of Isometrics a day.... IN one month I can gurantee you will feel the difference and start to see a difference and your playing will improve.

The isometrics will build your strength,speed and ramp up your metabolism. It will also train your body to handle blood pressure spikes. Blood Pressure Spikes are not dangerous when training as long as you do not hold your breath.

The 15 minutes of brisk walking will increase your bodies production of aerobic enzymes,lower pulse, improve cholest. profile and build heart and lung coordination and capacity.

In 6-12 weeks time your resting pulse rate will drop and your blood pressure will improve. Get the book and read it their is a lot of bad information and 1/2 truths in the public domain and inthe medical field about Isometrics. Their is actually a blood pressure control method that is based on isometrics that was invented by two Doctors and is well documented and tested to work but it is not well known. Most people think Isometrics are bad for people with High Blood Presure but these people mis-understand how the body works all physical exertion cause's spikes in blood pressure.

The other method that does not require any gear at all as in weights, machines or the like is called VRT and was created by Greg Mangan in the USA and something simalar called Loadless Traininig was invented in the FOrmer USSR ie Russia.... It produces results much like weight lifting and is dynamic not at all static like Isometrics. See Link:

http://www.vrtsystem.com/aboutVRT.shtml

I have weights,bow flex,kettle bells and a bunch of other gear yet I use the above often when on the road or injured or for rehab etc......I am fat and need to go on a diet but my cardiovascular health is almost on par with elite cyclist as tested by a complete cardio work up 2 years ago. I am also strong as an ox......So even if you are not ready to diet and lose weight you need to keep your muscles,bones,heart and lungs in good shape!
garrett901
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree Captain... The better shape your in both aerobic and strength wise, the better player you'll be. Especially when playing high energy physically demanding music. I have a birthday coming up this month and I'll be 48. Between the stenosis in my neck, the sciatic problems in my lower back, the 3 pounds of metal I'm carrying around in my rt leg and my high blood pressure, I like to tell folks that its not the age, It's the mileage !
Kanstul G Soprano (Powerbore Bell)
Yamaha YTR-739T
Xtream XZ w/ XXX backbore GREAT MP!!!
http://freelancers-alumni.org
carltrumpet
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And on the tune 'You're Still a Young Man' no less --- that's some irony there. A couple of years ago we were performing that and the singer had a long coughing fit in the middle of it. I think the song might be cursed....and I'm glad you're OK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> High Range Development All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: