• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

BACH FACTORY VISIT AND TOUR AND MY NEW 239 C TRUMPET...

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
65strad
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bwanderson I totally agree, and congrats on your new 239 C! Tedd is a great guy that treats everyone great and makes everyone feel like a VIP. How many others treat people the way he does without pretense?

What is that saying? Something to the effect that as long as they're talking about you, you must be doing something right. The outsourced Z brace "suggestion" thing was a bit far fetched to begin with, and was stoked by a frequent poster and Kanstul supporter, probably for his personal amusement to watch the thing take on a life of its own. I found it amusing too.

Tedd Waggoner may be the Chief of Operations of Bach, but he also a very decent man that truly cares about his customers and the quality of the product that is produced under his watch.

July '09 my son went to Wisconsin with his girlfriend to visit her family. He called me on my cell on the return trip to NJ while driving through Indiana. He said "Dad I saw a sign for Elkhart 20 miles ahead, maybe I'll stop by and see if it's possibe to see the Bach plant". I told him that an appointment is probably needed so don't expect much on short notice.

At the last second he decided to take the Elkhart exit. Turned out that the factory just resumed operations that day after a two week shut down and that no one was available immediately but the receptionist would make a call to see what she could do. He told her not to bother as it was short notice and that he saw the sign for Elkhart. He mentioned that his Dad won a contest to have a custom Bach built that he designed thanks to Mr. Waggoner. She asked his name and said that she would mention it to Tedd. In the parking lot just as they were getting in the car, the woman came running out of the plant and stopped them.

She asked them to come in if they had the time. Tedd wanted to see them. Despite the fact that he was getting the plant up to speed after a two week shut down, he enthusiastically greeted them and made these kids feel like VIP's for over two hours on an extensive tour, even though I'm sure Tedd had plenty on his plate and the fact my horn was for free! He was unhurried, showed them some vintage horns built by Bach personally in a normally off limits area.

For being such a huge company, and for being such a busy guy with as much responsibility as he has, Tedd really knows how to treat people and how to give the personal touch. Here are a couple of pictures of his visit. Look at the expression on Tedd's face and keep in mind that this visit was sudden, and this was the first day of operations after a 2 week shut down. Most mom and pop businesses don't give access and great customer service to this degree.

This is the first two piece valve case made for a Bach Strad in over 30 years, made for my custom horn before stamping and held by artisan Jim Scott who built my horn.

Normally this room is off limits. Tedd showed him some of the horns built by Vincent personally.

Tedd took out Bud Herseth's shop card to show him. Cool.

Mandrels from the Mt. Vernon era:

Hand hammering a bell by hand contrary to the to the rumors!

Sean and Tedd. Look at the expression on Tedd's face and keep in mind that this visit was sudden, and this was the first day of operations after a 2 week shut down. Enough said.

'08 Bach factory custom "one off" 43*G SN#2008
'65 Bach 181 37 SN#30836
'67 Bach 180 37 SN#39773
'70 Bach 181 37 SN#58831
'72 Bach 180S 43 SN#70503
'05 Bach VBS 196 Picc SN#560142
'07 Bach Chicago C SN#656602
Crazy Finn
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, most of us might not have much of a clue about the craft and art of actually building trumpets, but anyone can tell when customer service is good, bad, or indifferent (or excellent). It sounds like Mr. Waggoner seems to take pride in his product and care about his customers - as this isn't the first nice mention about him. That's good tidings for everyone in the trumpet community.

Thanks for the great tale.
Besson 709 Bb Trumpet
Bach 184L Bb Cornet
Yamaha 731 Bb Flugelhorn
Retlaw
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like Bach have people going through the shop every day.... no time to prepare for the "official" visit.... Captain you owe it to yourself and to us to make a visit to the factory...then you can see for yourself and tell us if the tolerances are exact enough to meet your high standard. In fact you could tell the technician if he is doing his job correctly. Just a word of warning when you go were the bells are made.....make sure no one drops a large "ballpean" on your toe...

Walter
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: