• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

I want to run some project ideas by you guys?????

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: I want to run some project ideas by you guys????? Reply with quote

1) Thinking about inter-changeable leadpipes on my latest project. Looking at William Spencer's Modular System because it is simple and light weight and simple and light weight is always good! This way I could have a 25-0,7,43 leadpipe in the case and swap out the leadpipe for what ever I was doing. Each mouthpipe assembly would be complete unit.

2a) Copper plating the bell,top and bottom caps and the 2nd tuning slide and leaving the rest of the horn in polished yellow brass and nickel lacquered?

2b) Copper Plating Explained: I am thinking that Copper does not suffer red-rot so copper plating the 40+ year old bell which has aged nicely should seal it chemically against any zinc migrating out of the metal making it close to immune from red-rot. The other parts would just be plated for dramatic effect.

3)Have considered a modular bracing system of my own design. I would do a bracing system similar to Jasson Harrelsons braces on the Bravura model and hide a system similar to William Spencers under the large brace attached to the leadpipe and bell. So it would still use screws but they would not come all the way through the brass so it would appear that the bell and leadpipe where solidly mounted in a fashion similar o Jasons Bravura line. Given the large size of this type of brace I could easily hide the true mounting system under it and no one would know with out close examination. IT would add a lot of weight though.

4) Still thinking about one of the following as a cool gimmick: A) A trigger on the main tunning slide. B) A true tunning bell with trigger on the bell for perfect on the fly tunning!

5) Have considered doing sheet bracing for the bell and the main tuning slide because my oldest boy thinks it looks cool. He was looking at some of Jasson Harrelsons retired designs. He is into Astronomy,Star Trek, Doctor Who and Star Wars......so I was thinking about cutting stars and lunar phases into the sheet bracing.

So idea's, thoughts on any of the above, cool idea's that might be worth working into the above? Not all of the stuff above is going to be worked in. Most will be scraped. I am not one that like things to get too busy of cluttered or complicated......If their is some really cool trumpet image that you find inspiring or just plain neat toss me the link! I am still in the planning stage and part acquisition stage so nothing is cast in stone! Would love to do something really different but drawing a blank plus not a lot that has not already been done.
trumpetmike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talk to Will and Jason - ask them how long it took to get their designs sorted - it's not as easy as they make it look.

Both tuning slide triggers and bell triggers have been done before, try and speak to those who have done them to find out how they did it.
Bucaneer61
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, learn to use apostrophes correctly.
Second, go practice rather than posting
Third, don't post
Fourth, get the idea?

Michael
Blessing Artist Flugelhorn, rose brass bell
Accent Picc by B & S
Conn 28B Concert Grand Bb - 1925
Martin Handcraft Imperial - 1937
tollaus
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Bucaneer61"]First, learn to use apostrophes correctly.
Third, don't post
Fourth, get the idea?

Michael[/quote]

benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Capt.,

I suggest looking at this horn that is currently on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Bach-Stradivarius-Bb-C-Combination-Trumpet-/230440319724?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Brass_Instruments&hash=item35a7503aec#ht_2626wt_1139

This is a conversion done by (or in the manner of) Bill Tottle, who was the person who made many of the horns used by Ghitalla. Notice that to achieve the correct tuning slide gap placement, the lower tuning slide receiver has two sections. I believe that this is the reason the Schilke C/Bb combination horns play well in Bb; they use sleeves to make the leadpipe the correct length and place the gap further from the receiver.

I realize that you are looking at swapping components, rather than having a combo-keyed horn, but I have always felt that this was a particularly elegant method.

Hope this helps; let us know what you come up with...

Ben
jhatpro
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know Capt. Kirk but I think we should back off on the snide rejoinders to his posts. At least some of what he has to say often has merit.

Frankly, I admire the way he keeps offering information and opinion in spite of some of the snotty replies he receives.

If you don't like what the guy has to say or the way he says it, then drive on. Posting stuff like Michael did a while ago just makes you look like a jerk.

"The notes are there - find them.” Mingus

2021 Martinus Geelan Custom
2005 Bach 180-72R
1965 Getzen Eterna Severinsen
1946 Conn Victor
1998 Scodwell flugel
1986 Bach 181 cornet
1954 Conn 80A cornet
2002 Getzen bugle
veery715
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen, to jhatpro for his comments.

I particularly like the copper plating idea. I know Dale Proctor had that done to his 5A and it looks great.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thick skin and do not mind!LOL It is just a good thing I do not dish it out as much as I take it!LOL

I have already practiced one hour today and not counting the buzzing I did on my Elliptical trainer. I know 1 hour is no much but I did practice already!LOL Then my son and I put on a mini-concert for his two brother's the dog, his Mother and his Grandmother. We like to do a mini-concert at least once a week in the Summer. Sometimes we practice out side and if we are camping we do Marching Songs from my BoyScout Song Book! So I do practice and play just not as much as I should!

Some people just get cranky when someone rains on their parade. I do not mind though....If the criticism is constructive and presented as such and in line with routine I take it too heart. If it is just mean spirited I usually just laugh at the person posting it! So I laugh a lot on this sight! For instance I find all kinds of spelling errors in peoples post's all the time. When was the last time you saw me point that out to anyone. They have to be a real jerk for me to point that out. I personal think it is simply being a jerk to point out things like that if you are not an English teacher or if the document is not for legal,school or professional use! If you can not attack a persons facts or opinions in a sound argument using logic and science then you attack what is left. So spelling, punctuation, syntax, character, you name it! In my eye's when people get that way I just chalk it up to simple mind with a big ego and let it be! As long as I can understand what a person is trying to say I am good to go. The content of their post matters more to me then the syntax or spelling!

I will have you know I use spell check and often when it comes to punctuation marks and such it will have multiple choices not one all encompassing standard. So your frustration should be directed at Microsoft as they programed the software doing the checking. According to it "leadpipe" ,"mouthpipe" and "Perinet" are all misspelled. When in doubt I normally let Microsoft sort it out! The rules for English are not half as rigid as some of you would think and I always pick from a list of choices offered up by spell and grammar check so none of my usage is ever outside of the rules of English! It might not be the right choice for what I intend but they are always a choice offered by "Spell Check" so try again no rules broken at the most bent!LOL

Even I have my days when I get not mean spirited but not so nice and even a little bit of a jerk. It is usually in response to someone pushing something that is esoteric in a realm that is not esoteric in nature! SO if someone was telling someone they had to believe in a higher power directing the universe in order for exercise to work that would push my buttons or someone spewing nonsense about sound concept trumping the bell profile or trumpets overall design with regard to the sound the trumpet produced etc..........Everything has it's time and season but some things are just silly and do not stand up to science or common sense which I might add is not so common!LOL People once thought the earth was flat but believing that it is flat does not make it so!

I sent William an email. I went to Pro-Winds and looked for Williams Kit but they did not have it listed on the site for sale.Williams site said they where the distributor of his modular kit in the USA. So I asked him if I can just buy a modular kit from him with a few extra male pieces for extra leadpipes. I am waiting for his reply. I would rather buy directly from him then go through Pro-Winds! Never been big on middle men. Just like Saturn Water Keys I can by them for $18 each and very cheap shipping directly from the source or you can spend $49-$69 a piece for them from rip off artists that want to pick your pocket? The source does not have any minimum you must buy and the shipping cost was very reasonable. Their are just too many Repair Technicians that want to make far too much money off every little thing they do! The more of those Saturn Water Key's you order the cheaper the price get's and the more shipping is spread across each unit.

No one is going to talk me out of anything so much as they might convince me to not do something for logistical reasons. My project will go ahead. I am just looking for some good idea and any problem area's that I need to think through!

I know the trigger's on the main slide and bell have been done before! That is kind of what I meant when I said everything has been done before!Same thing with sheet bracing nothing new their either! I would like to at the very least have it cosmetically pleasing to the eye and a little bit original? I definitely do not want it to look like a Kanstul 1500-A too plane and tank like with no artistic style at all with the sheet bracing! I do not want it to look like a Bach Strad 180S37 either too plain and run of the mill for what I am wanting to do! Nothing wrong with either of the above just not the look I am looking for!

If I had access to CNC Mill I would do 3D art milled into the sheet bracing but with out CNC Mill I am not able to do that level of work I am not a good carver or engraver. I know my limits!
John Mohan
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bucaneer61 wrote:
First, learn to use apostrophes correctly.
Third, don't post
Fourth, get the idea?

Michael

Come on Michael, this wasn't called for. I know I've gone too far once in a while on the TH, and I'm not proud of it. I'm sure you're not either. The thing is, if you did a rehearsal with Kirk, or if you went out for a beer with him, even if you had a disagreement, you'd be a bit more tactful I think. This is the thought process I try to adhere to (try) when I'm in a disagreement with someone here on the TH.

Let's remember we're all on the same side here. After all, it's us against those God-forsaken reed, and worse yet, string players...

All the best,

John Mohan
lmf
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to run some project ideas by you guys????? Reply with quote

Capt. Kirk,

Sounds like interesting concepts for sure.

Provided what you propose might be done, we would have to be able to "tweak" the trumpets in the same way Will Spencer and Jason Harrelson do. That in itself is an art, isn't it?

Best wishes,

Lloyd
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: