• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Calicchio flugelhorn!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trptown

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Calicchio flugelhorn! Reply with quote

I just got my new Calicchio flugelhorn and it is incredible! It’s the copper belled version crafted by master horn builder John Duda. I my opinion a flugel should be approached like the unusual beast that it is and should respond that way. With an effortless dark, rich, warm sound. John captured those qualities and much more! The intonation is spot on without a thought of any chop calisthenics. The valve action is as smooth as glass.

I played a session on it yesterday where the producer was looking for a few muted trumpet solos… after hearing this flugelhorn, I only used the harmon on one track! The engineer said he’d never heard a flugel so in tune! I highly recommend this horn to any serious trumpet player looking that true flugel sound of years gone by.

The funny thing about this is that my daily driver is a Calicchio S1S trumpet, which has one of the deepest richest tone I’ve ever played. More flugel-ish sounding than most trumpets throughout the range of the horn! Calicchio has captured the true essence of theses horns. John, you’re the best! Thank you Calicchio for making my life a lot easier!
~Terry Townson
www.terrytownson.com[img][/img]
Robson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for curious. Have you tried the Kanstul 1525 before buying the Calicchio?

If the answer is Yes. Why the Calicchio is better?

Thank you

1 Corinthians 14:8 (KJV)
"For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?"
trptown

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good question Robson. Yes, Kanstul's 1525 is a fabulous playing horn all right. Once I met John at Calicchio and experienced his passion for building horns... the Kanstul didn't stand a chance.
Overall the way each horn played? I still would have to pick the Calicchio. There's just something about Calicchio's dark but warm/rich sound. That's my opinion.
~Terry
Robson
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trptown wrote:
Good question Robson. Yes, Kanstul's 1525 is a fabulous playing horn all right. Once I met John at Calicchio and experienced his passion for building horns... the Kanstul didn't stand a chance.
Overall the way each horn played? I still would have to pick the Calicchio. There's just something about Calicchio's dark but warm/rich sound. That's my opinion.
~Terry

Terry

Thank you for your answer.

I have a Bach 183, but I'm not satisfied and I plan to buy one of the 2 horns in question (Calicchio and 1525). How would you compare both?

Once again thank you very much

1 Corinthians 14:8 (KJV)
"For if the trumpet give an uncertain sound, who shall prepare himself to the battle?"
trptown

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Robson,

I realize there are not many Tulsa Calicchios out there for you to try, but if you could find on and 'A'-'B' it with the Kanstul, that would be best. Everyone has their own opinion about how a horn feels and plays.
Call Dave Johnson at Calicchio (918-743-4922) and talk to him a bit. He's a nice guy and a great player himself. He might be able to tell you where you could try one in your area.
I hope this helps in your journey.

~Terry
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robson wrote:
Just for curious. Have you tried the Kanstul 1525 before buying the Calicchio?

If the answer is Yes. Why the Calicchio is better?

Thank you

I now own both a Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn, and a John Duda brass in silver Calicchio flugelhorn with a 6" bell, .413 bore.
Yes the Duda Calicchio flugelhorn is better than the Kanstul 1525 flugelhorn.

This is why:

In my opinion although the Kanstul 1525 is an incredible horn, impressive in every way, with great valves and a beautiful warm buttery sound.

The John Duda Calicchio flugelhorn is even better. The reason for this, tone and overall sound. In my opinion you just can not beat the gorgeous beautiful sound of a John Duda Tulsa Calicchio flugelhorn. The valves on my Duda Calicchio flugelhorn are very good, much better than I expected. I am literally completely overwhelmed at the honor of getting the chance to own a Duda Calicchio flugelhorn. I am impressed with the Duda Tulsa flugelhorn beyond words. I made the sacrifice needed to own a Duda Calicchio flugelhorn and I do not regret it.

Now I have the ultimate setup; a Calicchio 3/9 large bore (.468) trumpet, and a brass 6" bell .413 bore Calicchio flugelhorn.
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
www.myspace.com/trumpetofthelord
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Calicchio flugelhorn! Reply with quote

trptown wrote:
I just got my new Calicchio flugelhorn and it is incredible! It’s the copper belled version crafted by master horn builder John Duda. I my opinion a flugel should be approached like the unusual beast that it is and should respond that way. With an effortless dark, rich, warm sound. John captured those qualities and much more! The intonation is spot on without a thought of any chop calisthenics. The valve action is as smooth as glass.

I played a session on it yesterday where the producer was looking for a few muted trumpet solos… after hearing this flugelhorn, I only used the harmon on one track! The engineer said he’d never heard a flugel so in tune! I highly recommend this horn to any serious trumpet player looking that true flugel sound of years gone by.

The funny thing about this is that my daily driver is a Calicchio S1S trumpet, which has one of the deepest richest tone I’ve ever played. More flugel-ish sounding than most trumpets throughout the range of the horn! Calicchio has captured the true essence of theses horns. John, you’re the best! Thank you Calicchio for making my life a lot easier!
~Terry Townson
www.terrytownson.com[img][/img]

Terry:

Glad to be with you in Club Calicchio.

John Duda Tulsa, Oklahoma trumpets and flugelhorns are the finest horns made. Having two of the greatest custom horn makers in the world within a gallon of gas drive from my home here in Tennessee, I still chose John Duda Calicchio horns that are made way out in Tulsa, Oklahoma. I think that that says a lot about John Duda's horns because my neighbors make some really , really great horns.
Dr. Michael Schmidt the world's loudest trumpet player. Play the best, play Calicchio. Calicchio 3/9 large bore trumpet and Tulsa Duda Calicchio Flugelhorn. Please listen to the free samples of my trumpet playing at:
unctrumpeter

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anybody want a kanstul 1525
mcahynuacrkd
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unctrumpeter wrote:
anybody want a kanstul 1525

Since your new here, it might be tough to sell a flugelhorn here without a posting history because others before you have ruined it for many sellers and buyers with SCAMS.

Perhaps if you share with TH a little about yourself , such as your real name, where you went to hs, where you go to college, and some references, you might be able to sell your flugelhorn.

Also, the TH has a Marketplace section, and it would be more appropriate for you to sell your horn there not here in this forum.

Why are you selling it?

OK here is your add in the TH Marketplace, I see it now:
"
Placed: Dec. 13 '08: 8:58 pm Views: 23
I have a Kanstul 1525 copper flugelhorn.Lacquer finish. The horn has is in mint condition there are on to two minor dings that i would not be able to show on a photo. email me for pics. This item can include a double case and or mouthpiece. The price will depend on if you want to buy the case and/or one of the mouthpieces i have. (Monette B4S flugel/ Stork 3C)
919 924 4511
Category: Cornets and Flugelhorns
Item price: $1,700.00"

Your price seems fair, now tell us your real name, that might help you sell this horn. Leaving your phone # was also a good idea.

Hope this helps,

MIKEY
JYTrumpetSounds

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry, please post some pics of your horn. Would love to look at it. Not to many pics of those horns. May look into getting one some day. I have a Calicchio Trumpet i just got for a great deal. Just trying to learn more about the company. Thanks alot
-Jerome Callet Jazz Custom
-Bach Stradivarius MLV 65

-Antione Courtois 154R Flugelhorn
Arbanator
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:56 am    Post subject: Case Reply with quote

Have you had any luck finding a case that fits the Calicchio copper flugel? There doesn't seem to be a ready made to fit it because of the bell size, and I've been reluctant to drop the $$ for a custom-made case.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't own a Calicchio flugelhorn (yet), but my ZKF-1525 fits easily into a ProTec trumpet/flugelhorn case, and my Adams (even larger bell) fits nicely into a ProTec single flugelhorn case.
Arbanator
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. The Calicchio is too tall to fit in the single flug Pro-tec case. In the flug/trumpet Pro-Tec case, it fits barely (that's what I'm using), but the bell comes to the very edges of the case, and I'm concerned that there's not enough protection there. I forget the exact dimensions of the bell when I measured it, but it is in the range of 6 1/2 inches across.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange. John must have changed something. The last I heard, he was using a 6" bell on his flugelhorn, compared to the 6-1/2" of the ZKF-1525 and what appears to be 170mm/6-11/16" for the Adams (approximately 10" from top of bell to bottom of bell curve). I've even got a 1920's Boosey flugelhorn in a ProTec single. It might be worth checking dimensions on the hard case that is normally sold with the ZKF-1525. I don't know of a case offhand that's much larger, but maybe John will have an idea. If not, you may just have to leave it out and play it a lot. Things could be worse.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the Kanstul sourced "Deluxe Gladstone Hard Shell" case for my 1525 flugel. It's a very well made case in my opinion, but I'd say that unless the bell on the Callichio is either smaller or the same size diameter, or "lower" on the horn relative to the valve block, it might not fit in that case.
ChopsGone
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected on the Calicchio bell size - for the copper one, it is 6.5". Sorry for the confusion. It doesn't appear that the proportions are that drastically different, when compared to the Adams, but without measurements, I'm just guessing. If it weren't for the recess in the lid above the valve area, the Adams wouldn't fit the ProTec single, either. Maybe the Torpedo Coyote with the Snarl lid, whenever that gets into production, but that's a lot of case to lug around for one horn.
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Hollywood Calicchio Copper flugelhorn, and the only hard case I have that it fits in is a Walt Johnson trpt/flug double case. I ordered the Johnson case after I bought the Calicchio, so it was made for the Calicchio outline.

I also have a very early Olds L-12 flugelhorn, and it fits in the WJ case perfectly -- better than the Calicchio, to tell the truth. So maybe the L-12 owners out there could suggest possibilities.

I have a Torpedo Coyote with the Snap lid, and the Calicchio doesn't fit. I think the "Snap Plus" lid (a quarter-inch taller than the Snap) *might* work, but it's too expensive an experiment for me to risk -- I'm waiting for the Snarl lid.

I keep meaning to call a buddy of mine with a Kanstul Chicago flugel, to see if he got it with a case. If he did, I'll see if the Calicchio fits.
Arbanator
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the responses. I did ask John, and he suggested Walt Johnson, but that's molto $$$$. I guess I may have to bite that bullet, though.
classicrocker1991

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any thoughts anyone has on Couesnon Flugels? I got a 50-year old one here and I love it and here that it's pretty popular when it comes to flugels.
Couesnon Flugelhorn
1939 New York Bach Stradivarius 26-59
nieuwguyski
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my buddy didn't get a case with his Kanstul Chicago flugel. He did get a Protec 314 flugel case for it, which he showed me, but... well... we were running late for the rehearsal I got him to sub for, so there was no chance to try to stuff my Calicchio into the Protec. It looked promising, though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: