• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Intonation aid on the first slide on flugels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tp2038

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: Intonation aid on the first slide on flugels Reply with quote

Why do many good flugelhorns not come with an intonation aid on the first slide?

It seems easier for me to play flugel with it like a trumpet because I do not have to bend some notes.

BTW, is the tube length of flugel the same as trumpet?

I simply want to play flugel like a trumpet as far as intonation is concerned. I want to get flugel sounds on flugel.

Thanks.
cheiden
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience the flugel is a very different animal than the trumpet. You have to apporach it very differently or it fights back (and usually wins).
If you're struggling with intonation there are 3 likely areas of concern:
1) Poor horn or one that needs maintenance
2) Poorly matched mouthpiece (wrong shank or just one that's not tuned to you or the horn)
3) Wrong blow - I use to chronically blow on the sharp side of the slot and pull the tuning slide too far out. My teacher taught me to blow lower in the slot and pull the slide in where it belongs. Things got lots better after that.
Bach 3C rim on 1.5C underpart
tp2038

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined a British Style Brass Band a few months ago and playing Flugel.
I believe the horn is not bad. I am using Eclipse flugel. My band instructor, who is a pro cornetist, tried it and said it was an excellent horn. The horn is clean in and out and all parts are working order.

I use Curry 1H FLD French taper. It did come with a French-taper lead pipe.

Your 3rd point hit the nail. My band instructor said the same thing.

He said every member got to learn to sing. I realized that my brain is now making notes in my head and that the same notes are coming out of my flugel. The notes in my head is harp or flat, my horn makes a sharp or flat note.

Is it OK to assume flugels are made to slot looser than trumpet?
I noticed flugels are much easier to bend notes and porduce pedal notes than trumpet.

I feel tiring to think of notes or singing while playing.

BTW, is every good player singing while playing?

Thanks.

cheiden wrote:
In my experience the flugel is a very different animal than the trumpet. You have to apporach it very differently or it fights back (and usually wins).
If you're struggling with intonation there are 3 likely areas of concern:
1) Poor horn or one that needs maintenance
2) Poorly matched mouthpiece (wrong shank or just one that's not tuned to you or the horn)
3) Wrong blow - I use to chronically blow on the sharp side of the slot and pull the tuning slide too far out. My teacher taught me to blow lower in the slot and pull the slide in where it belongs. Things got lots better after that.
shofarguy
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the singing part.

I believe that if a player learns to match pitch, vocally, it will greatly improve his intonation on the instrument. It will make that person a better ensemble player and soloist, because matching pitch with the voice coordinates the mind and body through listening.

Everything new is work, in the beginning, but becomes second nature after awhile. Do you remember learning to tie your shoes? Do you even think about it, now? Singing and matching pitch is a very good thing for anyone who plays an instrument, IMO

Brian

Flip Oakes Wild Thing Bb Trumpet in copper
Flip Oakes Wild Thing Flugelhorn in copper

There is one reason that I practice: to be ready at the downbeat when the final trumpet sounds.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: