• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

DMA Jazz Programs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jazz9

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: DMA Jazz Programs Reply with quote

Hi all,

It's been quite awhile since I've been on TH, but I need some help. I'm still pretty early on in my Master's degree, but it's already flying by. I know it will be no time before I'm auditioning for DMA programs. So then, maybe I could get some suggestions on programs to look at and/or some teachers to contact. I'm already looking at USC Thornton, Eastman, and University of Colorado. What schools even have doctoral jazz programs? Thanks in advance!

TDS
Larry Smithee
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming that you already have a masters in jazz, why not go for a straight DMA performance degree? With that in mind, I would search for a school that will allow the student to be more in charge of determining the performance direction, while the advisor professor mostly acts as guide and mentor. This direction could offer the advantage of widening your employment potential post DMA.

Of course...what do I know?

Larry
trombahonker
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frost School at the University of Miami, Brian Lynch is the jazz prof, Craig Morris classical.
tommy t.
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, what do you intend to do with your DMA? Teach at college level? Performance career on the NYC scene? Movie work on the West Coast?

If performance is your goal, unless there were an important reason not to do so, I think I'd look for a program in the region where I expect to make a career. I'd be thinking "play every night and write a thesis on how the on-the-job-training and referral system works as an education for the jazz community."

For college teaching emphasizing jazz history, just for example, I think that the name and rep of your degree granting institution would be important.

Look at Down Beat's school issue -- well over 100 college with jazz programs listed. The schools don't report in a consistent form and lots of them don't support DMAs but you sure can see a lot of choices.

Tommy T.
TrentAustin
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trombahonker wrote:
Frost School at the University of Miami, Brian Lynch is the jazz prof, Craig Morris classical.

Brian is the man!
This acct will be deactivated as of March 2021. email info@austincustombass.com
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are looking to get into academe, which is all but impossible these days, I'd move to a major city and just play and study with someone who you respect.

I have a masters from ESM--where I was also accepted into the doctoral program but went to NYU for a set of complex variables. I have a Ph.D plus.

I am also a retired tenured professor from a "known" jazz school.

I also lived in Paris and Tokyo--but lived in NYC four almsot 20 years before I even finished my grad work and packed off to academe.

Now, I'm back in NYC.

Life can be a bit strange. I'd keep it simple and not complicate things too much.

BTW--Brian L. is a long personal friend. We're the same age, or he's 4 months older I think.

Yours sincerely,
crt74
Wick Wooden Tenor Horn Straight Mute
woztone

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the University of Northern Colorado. They're program has been established for a long time, and they have a Jazz Doctor of Arts program with graduates that are getting the top jobs in the business (performance, teaching, composition, recording, etc...) all over the place.
jazz9

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your replies. That is an interesting point that I hadn't thought about too much. I always thought I'd just try for a DMA in something jazz related, but a performance degree in an area where I'd like to live and work would provide good experience and give time to get well connected.

I would like to teach college at some point, as I do enjoy education, at least on that level. I have a music education undergraduate degree and am completing a jazz studies MM.

Thanks again, everyone!

Cheers,

TDS
cornet74
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jazz9 wrote:
Thanks to everyone for your replies. That is an interesting point that I hadn't thought about too much. I always thought I'd just try for a DMA in something jazz related, but a performance degree in an area where I'd like to live and work would provide good experience and give time to get well connected.

I would like to teach college at some point, as I do enjoy education, at least on that level. I have a music education undergraduate degree and am completing a jazz studies MM.

Thanks again, everyone!

Cheers,

TDS

When I taught university, many of my fellows had music ed undergrads as well as significant experience teaching K-12. In fact, the head of the brass dept., an excellent trb. player trained at IU with a DMA strongly urged all undergrads to major in music ed. If I had it to do over, I would have gotten an ed. degree in undergrad. I don't have an undergrad degree. Just an MM for ESM and a Ph.D. from NYU (was also accepted into the doctoral program at ESM but turned it down.)

If you're not interested in teaching higher ed., you're waisting your time and money pursuing a doctoral degree.

Just move to a city you like; get a good teacher; and try to play as many gigs as you can find.

Good luck.

crt74
Wick Wooden Tenor Horn Straight Mute
trumpetnu

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNT has a great DMA jazz program
dan1020

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out University of Illinois (Urbana-Champaign).

I'm a current MM in Jazz studying with Tito Carrillo. He's an excellent teacher, and if your into classical trumpet playing, both Ron Romm and Charles Daval teach here.

Myself and several other grad students will be graduating this semester so I'm assuming there will be opportunities for TAs/TWs
theepresident0

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UNT just started its doctoral jazz program. Its been quite a success so far in bringing in even more inspiring musicians to UNT. And due to the largely popular undergraduate program, there are countless teaching opportunities to be had by DMA students. The DMA recitals have been very enjoyable. The addition of the program has pushed UNT to an even higher standard than before.
HERMOKIWI
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The University of Nebraska (Lincoln) offers a DMA program. I just funded a fellowship to be awarded to a Masters or Doctoral candidate in Jazz Trumpet Performance. The fellowship is available beginning with the 2014-15 school year. If it's awarded to a Masters candidate it will be for two years. If it's awarded to a Doctoral candidate it will be for three years.

To qualify you must demonstrate existing exceptional ability in jazz trumpet improvisation and/or playing lead trumpet.

For more information you can contact John Richmond, Director of the School of Music (jrichmond2@unl.edu).

Darryl White (dwhite2@unl.edu) is the Associate Professor of Trumpet and Jazz Studies, Paul Haar (phaar2@unl.edu) is the Associate Professor of Saxophone and Director of Jazz Studies and Eric Richards (eric.richards@unl.edu) is the Associate Professor of Composition and Jazz Studies. Any of them would be pleased to hear from students wishing to pursue education in Jazz Studies (performance and/or composition).

More information can be obtained from the University of Nebraska (Lincoln) School of Music website: arts.unl.edu/music.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Schools All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: