• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Conn 28A

Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iWinland
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Conn 28A Reply with quote

Has anyone played a long cornet? Which is from my understanding a trumpet with a cornet lead pipe...??? I was wondering how different they are from a trumpet?

Thanks
MikeyMike
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short story is cornets are physically different AND they sound different - "mellower" seems to fit. Someone said, if a trumpet is sugar, a cornet is honey and a flugelhorn is molasses. But... different cornets vary physically and sonically more than trumpets.

For technical differences, you might want to head over the the Conn Loyalist website. LOADS of good info on this. Just keep in mind some of it is in the individual descriptions of specific models.

Listen to some cornet players on youtube and you'll get a better idea of the sonic differences than any written description can provide. Note, too: different mouthpieces can make some cornets go from trumpet to almost flugelhorn in sound.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Search for 'conn loyalist' and read up on the 28A and the 6A as well. Spend some time reading about the 80A too.

From a non-pro (my) perspective the Connstellation and Victor long model cornets, which are as long as full-sized trumpets, are really quite powerful instruments. You might prefer the Victor 80A cornet (which looks more like a shortened trumpet) if you work with small ensembles, especially when accompanying singers. It has that kind of complementary voice.

That 80A to me is an in-between instrument that can bark, but the bell is smaller and thus it can be more intimate, especially when used with a deep mouthpiece. Excellent when when no one is amplified.

But the Connstellation 28A? Bam! It only has a 0.438 bore, but beware, for it can truck a lot of air. Like it's 'brothers' the 36 & 38B, it goes to eleven.
iWinland
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking for a 38B, but I saw a 28A for sale for much less. I think I am going to try one. Thanks for the information.
connicalman
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Specific to the cornet : trumpet comparison, our lead player in college had a 28A with a JetTone 2B. Yeah, he could scream with it.

When I got one - years later - I began with a VB 6C. It sounded good. I put in a Wick 4B, which had previously 'opened up' my previously constrained range and sound on a fun little Jupiter 520. With that larger bore mpc in the Connie she ate my lunch. Sounded friggin gorgeous, but sincerely, with a deep mpc proceed with caution.

That, IMHO, is all you need to know. Well almost. Go for it, and get the valves aligned. Made a world of difference. (Thank you Jim Becker at Osmun Music.)
plp
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 28-A is closer to a trumpet in my opinion than the 80-A, but still has that distinctive mellowness of a cornet. Playing one side by side with most other cornets the sound is just a bit edgier. Compared with a trumpet the difference is more pronounced.
Since all other motivesfame, money, power, even honorare thrown out the window the moment I pick up that instrument..... I play because I love doing it, even when the results are disappointing. In short, I do it to do it. Wayne Booth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Cornet/Flügelhorn All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: