• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Ever seen (or own) a Reynolds with "Tune as You Play&qu

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Ever seen (or own) a Reynolds with "Tune as You Play&qu Reply with quote

Apparently John Haynie was using this back before Reynolds got sold, and had a lot of his students playing them as well? I've never seen one, I'm curious what it looks like. It allows you via some trigger mechanism to manipulate the main tuning slide as you play?
benlewis
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://contemporacorner.com/trumpets/contempora-trumpets/diatonic-trumpets/
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have posted about doing this to my project horn. I would put the trigger in the front by the third valve though not near the first. It push's the main slide out to tune on the fly. You can also do something like that ona true tuning bell. Your trigger then would push the bell out then the spring retracts it when you let off the trigger.
gord-o
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attended a Phil Smith masterclass a few years ago where one of the students playing for Mr. Smith had a device like this on her C tpt. I didn't get a good look at it, and I couldn't ask her who made it, so all I know is that someone out there modified a C horn with this mechanism. FWIW, Phil Smith made mention of the device and didn't have good things to say. Not that the lady played badly, but his opinion was that you should learn to play the horn as it is.
RandyTX
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In one of Haynie's books, his comments are basically (paraphrasing) that he thinks ideally, everyone would learn how to play on one. The end result being everyone that knew correct pitch would be able to play in tune on every note, without the intonation problems. The downside, according to him, was that people without it would all be out of tune with those that had it.

I think he also said that he wasn't well-known enough at the time to help it get used more widely, and after Reynolds disappeared, he didn't have a vehicle to push it.

Like I said, I've never seen one before. But it sounds like another one of those things that "if you have used it and liked it, you want others to use it" and "if you haven't used it, it must be bad". Human nature, etc.
DH
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gord-o wrote:
had a device like this on her C tpt. I didn't get a good look at it, and I couldn't ask her who made it,
Could be it was a Pitch Finder, by Jack Holland. There's a picture here of one on a Bach C. http://germanbrass.com/sold/BachC229Laskey/. The advantage is that the 3rd valve ring now operates the main tuning slide in addition to the 3rd valve slide. Got a sharp high G? Just move the 3rd valve slide out. You can move the main tuning slide in with a lever visible (in my browser) in the middle row, 3rd photo down.
cjl
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Reynolds version appears to only allow you to extend the tuning slide, lowering the pitch. Holland's version allows you to both extend and shorten the turning slide so that you can lower AND raise the pitch of any note. The spring mechanism returns the slide to the "home" position.

There have been many discussions regarding pitch finders. Some feel that loosening the tuning slide so that it will slide easily enough to use with a trigger or ring has bad effects on the overall sound. As with about everything in life, some like it, some don't.
nacog
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello, the good new is I have one of these Reynolds trumpets. The bad new is a previous owner took most of the tuning mechanism off so I would be most interested in seeing exactly how it worked. The photos from the Reynolds catalogue aren't that clear.
HarryRichardson

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: I've seen that horn. Reply with quote

A friend of mine had John Haynie's horn for awhile. He may still have it, but I got some pictures of it, thinking that I could replicate one. I'll try to find them and post.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: