• FAQ  • Search  • Memberlist  • Usergroups   • Register   • Profile  • Log in to check your private messages  • Log in 

Been Thinking about Armour on a Horn like Getzen 90 Deluxe

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Been Thinking about Armour on a Horn like Getzen 90 Deluxe Reply with quote

So I am thinking about doing the contrasting Armour thing to the tuning slides and such. Anyone else ever do this? Any issues that you ran into and would like to share?

SInce I have no control over the valve assembly either outside of what used horn I buy to be the donor I had another idea. I got the idea while I was making a patch the other for an old slide with some red-rot. I was thinking that one could purposefuly patch the entire knuckle with just a little V notch on each side of the bend and a single seam down the back. THat would effectively double the thickness at the knuckles with out any need to special order a valve assembly manufactured that way. Not saying it is going to be easy or fun work not with hands like mine....THink short and plump.....I have the hands of a girl in terms of the length and width of my hands but my fingers and thumbs are sized for a 300lbs. NFL Line Man!!!LOL So small work is something that while rewarding is not my best skill set.LOL

I have a Holton with absolutely wonderful valves that is in raw sand blast finish. It is my test mule for a good many idea's.....I use it because it has no value it is a T602 trumpet but it is mechanically perfect and acoustically sound so I try things on it before I even think of doing them to other projects. In this trumpets case it has a very simple metal work and I think it will take to this idea the easiest out of the various project horns I am working on. No sense making like difficult with a complicated horn! I will more then likely use rifle cartridge brass that I cut and beat flat.
johnsboy
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If bracing, and where it's located, has a profound influence on the sound produced don't you kind of think that cladding all of your tuning slides is going to kind of dampen things a bit? I don't know, maybe that's the sound you're after - my inclination is to make everything thinner guage rather than thicken everything up but I have to admit that's not based on anything like experimentation. Let us know what comes of it.
Capt.Kirk
Heavyweight Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are after a resonate horn that starts to dance long before you reach fff then yes a heavy horn is not the way to go! Like most things their is a place for everything. The Getzen 90 Deluxe did not seem to suffer though from the up Armour at all. They had very thin bells though.

The mass on the knuckles will not hurt anything even on a light weight horn that part is a genteel must I think to gain efficiency with out gaining much mass. In fact I predict that anyone with any sense and the ability to manufacture their own valve assemblies will be making the walls of their knuckles thicker very soon. It is almost insanely funny that a guy from the auto industry siting at home in Michigan had to come up with this! It goes back to seeing the trumpet as a machine and looking at how you can make it do what you want by design instead of band aide fix's like heavy braces and heavy caps and such.

In fact you can still have a light weight horn and a light weight valve assembly and have thicker knuckles. You do not stuff a big engine in a car and then handicap it with skinny tall side wall tires...... Since the horns general layout and design as close to perfected it is a matter of making it do what it already does that much better.

I would not though ever consider armoring a light weight horn. I mean light weight horn guys are kind of are finicky and if I was going to do a light weight horn I would not waste an once of weight any place it would do something. Cosmetics are not really a must have

Have to look and think big not a matter of total mass so much as where you put it!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    trumpetherald.com Forum Index -> Horns All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: